Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
04/16/14 06:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cladding Paint Fusion vs. Dupli.color bumper coating  (Read 30274 times)
karr68

Semper FI

Awards
« on: 07/02/09 10:06 AM »

Cladding Paint Fusion vs. Dupli.color bumper coating

I have been seeing alot of post on here about using fusion, or gator paint now I added Dupli color bumper coading to the mix.

First I cleaned each bed panel with alochol.

Dupli Color is an acutal bumper coating with a flex aditive in it. Its soul propose is to coat bumper and renew thier color.  I used FB105 Flex Blk Bumer color. it is 7.95 a can at your local Auto store.

Fusion FOR PLASTIC paint 4.50 at Wally world. This is for plastic of any kind and you do not have to sand or prime the surface you are painting.  I noticed when painting extra spots of paint drip out. So before each coat I shook the can and wiped off the tip.

I applied 3 coats of each paint

The first one to the left is the  Dupli Color 

The middle one is the Fusion

and the Right one is original color.

I dont know if you can see it but the Dupli color ends up being a flat black which reminds me of the same black the AVs with black cladding have.

The fusion has more of a gloss look just like your dash would look after you cleaned it with Armor All.

None of them filled in the scraps very well just blended them in. 

AVortec

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: 07/02/09 10:10 AM »

The Krylon looks good. Nice writeup - thanks!

Currently without an Av - but looking.
karr68

Semper FI

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 07/03/09 08:35 AM »

Just wanted to add that I left the AV outside and it rained this morning the Fusion has tons of beads of water. So it sealed really well.
The Dupli Color did the same
USMC0311
CAFCNA 2009 Supporting Member

If they ran, they just died tired! Semper Fi!

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 08/06/09 09:15 PM »

Sweet post! Thanks for the info! I wanted to know what my options were when the cladding started to fade to bad, now I definatly know which way to go! A++ post, thanks!  Thumbs up!

04 Z71 Pewter, Mods to date: Dynomax Ultraflow Dumped,FT Amber DRL's,Black Bowtie,Stainless Grill Insert,Keystone Functional Ram Air Hood,Air Raid Intake That Works With Hood, AVS Deflectors On All 4 Windows,AVS Headlight Covers,20% Tint All The Way Around,Avalanche 3rd Brake Decal,Smoked Stock Taillights,more to come!
alwhite00

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 08/07/09 02:31 AM »

What color fusion did you use? Gloss or satin?

Looks good.

LK

04 Avalanche

GMC moldings, Burb boards, Rumble Bee Scoop, painted Bow Tie, Escalade Handles, Chrome Mirrors, 18" Eagle wheels, Sail Panel LED's, Headrest DVD's, BedSlide, Ect.
karr68

Semper FI

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 08/07/09 07:31 AM »

I used the Satin Black and it works out very well.   I just finished the whole truck and will post some photos of it later on.

If you are worried that the Fusion will fade I noticed K-mart has a UV protector in the Fusion product line I think it it was like 6 bucks a can.

karr68
alwhite00

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 08/07/09 11:41 AM »

Yea, Posts some pics. I have used the satin black on a bunch of interior stuff on my 70 Chevelle, Holding up really well so far. (been 2 years)

LK
« Last Edit: 08/07/09 02:01 PM by alwhite00 » Logged

04 Avalanche

GMC moldings, Burb boards, Rumble Bee Scoop, painted Bow Tie, Escalade Handles, Chrome Mirrors, 18" Eagle wheels, Sail Panel LED's, Headrest DVD's, BedSlide, Ect.
karr68

Semper FI

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 08/07/09 05:26 PM »

All right here we go with some before photos. Notice I have already painted the Front bumper.

Here are some after.  I did use Fusion on the whole truck in these photos it is a little dirty, sorry.

I liked Fusion a little more because it had that Sheen which shows off the texture of the cladding a lot. 

I have had 3 complements today already because of the "NEW" cladding.

Let me know what you guys think.

« Last Edit: 08/07/09 09:08 PM by karr68 » Logged
Z66 BUTCH
CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator

I love Dachshunds

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 08/07/09 08:48 PM »

Thumbs up! NICE! Let us know how it holds up.

Production of the Avalanche may be "water under the bridge"
but our love for them lives on!
ffdcarollo

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 09/03/09 03:02 PM »

karr68 how did u paint your cladding on you av did u take it off or tape off your truck? i will be be getting the upper portion painted red as my av but i want the lower portion black. thanks

02 Z71 Blackwing cold air intake more Mods to come
MooseAlanche
CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member

The Moose Is On The Loose

Awards
« Reply #10 on: 09/03/09 03:36 PM »

Cool! nice job karr68  Thumbs up! That black cladding looks sweet

Pete
05 Black Avalanche 5.3L, Z71, Cladded, Chrome Brush Bar, Speed Grille, SS Nerf Bars, Fire & Ice Tailgate LED, Lund Bug Shield, Putco Tailgate Handle Cover, K&N #77 Cold Air Intake, PowerAid TBS, MagnaFlow SS CatBack. Since Joining CAFC: Amber FTDRL, LED Sail Panel Lights, Amber LED Grille Lights, Door Pocket LED's, Mag Lite, 3rd Brake & Tailgate Decals, Cargo Light, Billet Gas Door, Tailgate Cup Holders, Backup Cam, I Pod2car, WoLo Horn, PlasmaGlow Xeon Bulbs, Window Tint, Tailgate E-Z Up, HyperTech
cadboy1
CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #11 on: 09/03/09 04:27 PM »

How many cans did you need for the whole job  Huh

04 AV 2500
01 Olds Aurora 4.0
07 Trailblazer SS AWD
karr68

Semper FI

Awards
« Reply #12 on: 09/03/09 10:29 PM »

It took me about 11 cans.  I did 3 coats on everything but the bed covers. They took a little more because they were faded bad.

I used alto of tape and paper to cover my Av's paint and used alcohol  to clean the cladding. 

After you finish the cadding paint take a new white rag with alcohol and clean you body paint.  There will be over spray no matter what!!

Wally World had Fusion paint around 4.30 the cheapest I have found so far. There is also a UN Protected that you can use as a clear coat if you are worried about fading.
KnightMare

Now at 60 MODs, let try for 70 now

WWW Awards
« Reply #13 on: 10/01/09 10:26 PM »

guess I need to get 10 more cans when Wal Mart get them in stock, they only had 1...

2003 Victory Red 4x4. Born 11/02, Mine 9/03 lemon, gone
2004 Onyx Black Z66. Born 12/24/03, Mine 9/08/04 KnightMare
1955  Chevy Bel Air 4dr
1967 Pontiac GTO,  Le Mans Convertible
1969 Chevy Camaro, Chevelle
1970 Chevy Chevelle x2
Supergumby5000

Got eskimo?

Awards
« Reply #14 on: 10/16/09 12:01 AM »

Whelp, looks like i have another project to do.  I thought about using that krylon stuff last year, but was too afraid. Im officially sold.

2002 Chevy Avalanche Z71 -The Stealth System PROJECT-
-(4) 15" Alpine Type-R's on an Autotek MM 4000.1D
-Pioneer Premier F90BT
-Pioneer Premier components up front, coax's in the back
-(2) Hifonics Txi-4008's
-(2) Kinetik 2400's, Kinetik 800, tons of knu flex/karma, mechman alternator, etc etc
Desert Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #15 on: 12/16/09 04:05 PM »

this post totally helped me, thank you! I did what you said with the cleaning and painting - looks new now.
karr68

Semper FI

Awards
« Reply #16 on: 12/17/09 02:32 PM »

Thanks.... Glad I can Help out fellow lanche owners. 

Right now the Fusion is holding up great. I live in Nebraska which means they put a ton of salt on the road so I am waiting to see how everything looks in the spring. 

Another note as always watch out when you wax your vehicle not to get any wax on your cladding. I tried almost everything to get the wax out of the texture with no luck.

I have not used the UV protector and I have seen no fading whats so ever. If you check out the photo of my front bumper I did not paint the two humps because I wanted to shoot them with the hammer gray color. Well I have not gotten to that part yet. But I am really surprised not to see any flaking or pealing on the tape line. Fusion really holds up. 

Z66Modder
CAFCNA Regional Coordinator

Region V Area

Awards
« Reply #17 on: 12/19/09 05:26 PM »

I've been torn between this or doing the Gatorback on just the bed covers. I have already painted all the cladding in matching professional enamel, but the bed covers are bare. I'm leaning toward the Gatorback because of the abuse the covers go thru. I do take them off often to haul stuff, and I think the paint won't hold up based on the Fusion that is on my rear bumper now. My local auto paint store had a can of Gatorback out last moth for about $80.00. Just seems it would hold up a lot better than paint,  and I have the tools to apply it.

Old Avalanches don't Die, They just Go Faster
My 2002 Forest Green
thomsen05
CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #18 on: 12/20/09 12:51 PM »

That looks great!!! I want to do this, but I paint like cr@p  banghead  Do you have to sand or do anything between coats? 

Chris

2002 avalanche pewter,4:10 gears, Superchipped 5.3ltr, 3" Ready lift level kit, Stainless steel diamond plate inserts, Amber drl's, K&N FIPK, MSD wires, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Nerf bars, Blue superbright puddles, fabtech steering stabilizer, altezza smoked tail lights 50W back up lights....to be added: strobes
karr68

Semper FI

Awards
« Reply #19 on: 12/23/09 07:36 AM »

That looks great!!! I want to do this, but I paint like cr@p  banghead  Do you have to sand or do anything between coats? 

Nope nothing between coats. I just sprayed one side first and then taped of the other side and went back. A good 3 coats should work depending how faded your cladding is.

After your finished and you take the paper off clean the paint surface of with some alcohol or a spray on wax but do not get it on you newly painted cladding.

karr68
avz66
CAFCNA 2009 Supporting Member

AV - AHOLIC!!!

WWW Awards
« Reply #20 on: 12/24/09 12:36 PM »

It came out nice  Cool!

2002 Avalanche Z66 Indigo Blue - Bought 9-25-01 as of today  0,092,700 miles

66 AV gtgs - 22,892 Miles - Tx. (Hou, S.A.,A) LA, KY, AL,TENN., SD, Wy

CAFCNA Member - 305

Mods - Cowl Hood, Epic Gladiator 20s, Volant CAI, SportsWing, Flowmaster 40, Trenz Bullet Grill and Bowtie, AMP fuel door, Bed slide, Flames

dviss02

Awards
« Reply #21 on: 04/15/10 08:46 AM »

Hey Karr68 that looks awesome! How did it hold up through the winter? I have an avy exactly like yours and I was thinking about starting the painting project this weekend. How warm was it when you painted? Its is supposed to be in the 70s here in Boise this weekend.

2002 5.3 Z71 Victory Red Loaded...Owned since 12/26/09

Full time RL, Bright white led RL, Spectre CAI
karr68

Semper FI

Awards
« Reply #22 on: 04/16/10 07:06 AM »

Held up Great!!!!!!!

It was in the 90s when I painted the cladding but a day in the 70s should be just fine.  Painting the cladding on my AV looked different at first bc of the contrast between the two colors but I have say it looks alot better you will not be disapointed one bit. 

Make sure you dont have any other vehicles down wind of your painting area. They will get splattered.

karr68
TrainerCB

I love the Chevrolet Avalanche twitter: @trainerc

Awards
« Reply #23 on: 04/16/10 09:54 AM »

loos fantastic! I want to do this to my '02 because it has the lighter grey plastic...... is it sticky to the touch? Like now that it is dried and everything if yo urub your hand on it is it sticky or wet or will it come off on your hands?

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Z66: leather, heated seats, sunroof, roof rack, ambers, K&N air filter...basically a mod virgin!
karr68

Semper FI

Awards
« Reply #24 on: 04/16/10 10:59 AM »

when it is drying and just sprayed on it is sticky.
 Shocked
But after a couple of hours in the sun it is baked in. I did it last August and I can sit there and rub the cladding and nothing will come off. My nieghbors  look at me funny when I do this.  love

I still would not wash the cadding for a couple of days thought after painting
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: