Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
09/19/14 08:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seafoam  (Read 50909 times)
Shanes 02 Avalanche

Teach your children well, they are the future.

WWW Awards
« Reply #175 on: 04/01/10 01:13 PM »

Use the whole can. Just put the tube in the top of the can and let it just suck it in. It will suck it up and all you have to do is hold the can. I have found this to be the most effective way.

You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.
You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.
.....Abr
dfauerbach

Awards
« Reply #176 on: 04/22/10 06:26 AM »

Did mine last night I picked up a squeeze bottle from wallmart and filled that up and stuck it in the vacume hose, I had no idea how strong that vacume was it collapsed the bottle sucked it dry and stalled the truck LOL, i think I am seeing a 1.5 to 2 mile increase in mpg but it might be more wishful thinking  Big laughter with tears
Shanes 02 Avalanche

WWW Awards
« Reply #177 on: 04/22/10 08:01 AM »

I am doing the air filter, MAF and throttle body this weekend, weather permitting. I am also doing the seafoam in the vacuum hose. The seafoam in the oil and seafoam in the gas tank. I am doing an oil change too.

Then i am taking off my rear swaybar to change out all the bushings. I am going to paint the pumpkin, red,  and the axle black. I am dropping the spare tire to give me more room. I want to get up in the frame so i can sand and repaint with spray on bed liner. I am going to be draping paper off the outside of the Av so no paint gets out from under it. I have not painted the frame in 2 years, so it is time. I find it helps keep the rust down. And so far so good. It is very time consuming, but as long as I paint first. Then work on all the engine stuff while I wait. It will be the most effective use of my time.

You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.
You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.
.....Abr
Z66 BUTCH
CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator

I love Dachshunds

Awards
« Reply #178 on: 04/22/10 10:41 AM »

I am doing the air filter, MAF and throttle body this weekend, weather permitting. I am also doing the seafoam in the vacuum hose. The seafoam in the oil and seafoam in the gas tank. I am doing an oil change too.

Then i am taking off my rear swaybar to change out all the bushings. I am going to paint the pumpkin, red,  and the axle black. I am dropping the spare tire to give me more room. I want to get up in the frame so i can sand and repaint with spray on bed liner. I am going to be draping paper off the outside of the Av so no paint gets out from under it. I have not painted the frame in 2 years, so it is time. I find it helps keep the rust down. And so far so good. It is very time consuming, but as long as I paint first. Then work on all the engine stuff while I wait. It will be the most effective use of my time.

You might want to try POR-15 Rust Preventive paint on the frame, you will never need to paint it again. But you need to be very carefull not to get it when you dont want it, like on your hands & clothes because it won't come off even with thinner. I used it on the open spaces of my teak running boards about 3 years ago and it is all still there. This in on a very oily wood that most say that paint won't stick to very well..... Now the por-15 is brushed on and is not a great finish but there is nothing better for your frame! Wear  rubber gloves, a paint hat and mask and cover up all you can......

Shanes 02 Avalanche

WWW Awards
« Reply #179 on: 04/22/10 01:12 PM »

Thanks Butch I have never heard of that. I am not looking for pretty just functional. I have actually seen your running boards back in 2005. We were at a GTG in Indiana. One of the members had a boat that we took out to Chicago and watched the fireworks show.

.....Abr
anglarry04

No more Avalanche...traded for a '11 Traverse

Awards
« Reply #180 on: 04/22/10 06:18 PM »

All...the spray is called seafoam DEEP CREEP.   I used it on the honda.  Seems just as effective to me.   I only used half the can, granted its only half and engine  Big laughter with tears   Gonna try it on the av, as she is due an oil change.

After checking out website, there is deep creep and another spray much like the can
« Last Edit: 04/22/10 06:31 PM by anglarry04 » Logged

2002 1500 Forest green Z71-traded
2004 1500 Sunburst Orange Metallic Z-71-Traded for
2008 1500 Granite Blue LT-Traded for
2011 Traverse LT Red Tint Jewel-current
2006 Trailblazer LT-Wifes-traded 31 Mar for
2008 Tahoe LT1 Ruby Red Metallic
1995 Honda Civic with Acura Type R swap-My project hot rod
07HrlyHlr

HE'S BACK!!!

Awards
« Reply #181 on: 04/22/10 07:14 PM »

Shane I am doing the Por15 this summer also!

2007 Burnt Orange LT...No mods yet...

Had to sell her and some a$$hole trashed her! 2005 Z71 4x4 10 or so mods and LOTS of paint matching! Clear headlights, Harley Davidson emblems chrome Avalanche on rear and chrome tailgate handle chrome bow tie and of course You cant lose with 22's!
ajk2000

Money's Not Worth Anything, Till You Spend It....

Awards
« Reply #182 on: 05/02/10 12:34 AM »

My dad taught me this trick with transmission fluid down the carb..  Smokes like hell, supposed to burn off all the carbon build up..  I only did it on my old camaro and falcon..  seemed to help afterwords ,  Dont know if i would try on modern cars..

2007 Summit White Z71(2wd), Ebony , Nav(cam) , Tint, Billet BowTies, 8000k HID Lows, Ambers, Headrest mod, Bed tent, Coastal tech GX320, Low Profile SteelSlide, LED Tails,  More Mods to come...
MooseAlanche
CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member

The Moose Is On The Loose

Awards
« Reply #183 on: 05/02/10 03:33 PM »

My dad taught me this trick with transmission fluid down the carb..  Smokes like hell, supposed to burn off all the carbon build up..  I only did it on my old camaro and falcon..  seemed to help afterwords ,  Dont know if i would try on modern cars..
Huh never heard that one before  Huh

Pete
05 Black Avalanche 5.3L, Z71, Cladded, Chrome Brush Bar, Speed Grille, SS Nerf Bars, Fire & Ice Tailgate LED, Lund Bug Shield, Putco Tailgate Handle Cover, K&N #77 Cold Air Intake, PowerAid TBS, MagnaFlow SS CatBack. Since Joining CAFC: Amber FTDRL, LED Sail Panel Lights, Amber LED Grille Lights, Door Pocket LED's, Mag Lite, 3rd Brake & Tailgate Decals, Cargo Light, Billet Gas Door, Tailgate Cup Holders, Backup Cam, I Pod2car, WoLo Horn, PlasmaGlow Xeon Bulbs, Window Tint, Tailgate E-Z Up, HyperTech
MyBigToy

Too much power is just enough!

Awards
« Reply #184 on: 05/02/10 05:04 PM »

Huh never heard that one before  Huh

Yep; I did it to my first car - a 1972 Mustang, when it had 120K on the clock and wasn't running so great. It's a much bigger smoke show than with the Seafoam, at least in my case.

I don't see why you couldn't try some tranny fluid in the vacuum line, just like Seafoam, and see what happens. Tranny fluid supposedly has a lot of detergents in it so it should theoretically do the same thing as Seafoam.

2002 LPM Z71 - Magnacharger w/3" pulley, TOG's headers, 216/224-.551/.551-115 cam/pushrods/dual springs/titanium retainers, built tranny, Yank TT2600 converter, 24K GVW Tru-Cool tranny cooler, Flex-A-Lites, ProCold intake, MSD wires & TR6 plugs, 20" Panther Juice 6's, 2.8" rear lowering springs, J&J Enterprises stainless grille, body-color taillight covers, custom metal rear step bumper. Self-tuned with HP Tuners software.

Daily driver: 2013 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5i w/Special Appearance Pkg
Shanes 02 Avalanche

WWW Awards
« Reply #185 on: 05/02/10 06:45 PM »

I use to use Mayvel mystery oil in my 240Z side draft cards. I also used it in the oil and fuel system of my older carberated cars. When I started to run fuel injection I stopped using it.

.....Abr
Brandon-Z71

Awards
« Reply #186 on: 05/04/10 09:33 PM »

I just put some seafoam in my vacuum and it had very minimal smoke, im guessing the intake is in very good shape.  Thanks for the tip!!
JoJoo

Awards
« Reply #187 on: 05/23/10 02:54 PM »

Just found this thread. Did my first tune up on my '03 last week. Have 124,000 miles. Will I mess up the tune up if I try the seafoam? Help me!
Shanes 02 Avalanche

WWW Awards
« Reply #188 on: 05/23/10 08:08 PM »

Nope it wont hurt a thing. it will just clean the valves
 chevy

.....Abr
Mommyof02
CAFCNA 2011 Supporting Member

It aint easy being me.

Awards
« Reply #189 on: 05/24/10 10:12 PM »

Idk how to figure the mpg, but i put a can of sea foam in my gas tank with 100% gas and went 400 miles before i had to fill up again.  I havent been brave enough to try it through the vacuum line yet.

2002 Avalanche Pewter.
1997 Chevy truck
kryppie

Kryppies Lanche

Awards
« Reply #190 on: 06/03/10 08:29 AM »

If you drive hard you should not have any carbon build up
draxlin

Awards
« Reply #191 on: 06/12/10 09:11 PM »

I posted this in a different thread and there was a suggestion to post my question here.  I have an '06 and am unsure which hose to pull to add the Seafoam.  I've read several posts and seen a few pics, but none that look like my AV.  Could some one please post a picture of where the hose is on an 06 is?  I took a pic of mine but again unsure....

2006 Avalanche LT/Z71
Bose,Onstar,Nav,Leather
CntrySngr72

There is no other...

Awards
« Reply #192 on: 07/02/10 01:56 PM »

No answer?  I'd like to do this to my 07, but I want to be sure I have the right tube first...I may just dump it in the gas tank.

I bought a can last night that I am going to try on the boat this weekend.  I haven't decided if I am going to dump 1/2 down the carb and 1/2 in the tank, or all of it in the tank yet...suggestions?

NEW: 2013 LTZ 1500, Silver Ice Metalic
Traded #2: 2007 LTZ 1500
Traded: 2002 Z71 1500

Z66 BUTCH

I love Dachshunds

Awards
« Reply #193 on: 07/02/10 02:06 PM »

I haven't looked at my Avalanche but on most cars there is a hose going to the power brake booster. If you pull that hose off, the other end should head over to the engine. Check and see if it is sucking a lot of air and the engine will most likely be running rough IF it is the main vacuum. If so then this is where you would pour the Sea Foam, if not plug it back in to the boster and ask someone who knows......I haven't worked much on cars or trucks for a few years......

skidoorider

Awards
« Reply #194 on: 07/03/10 04:38 PM »

Today I did the PCV, oil and fuel tank. I noticed a drop in mpg's after doing this. Is it normal while the Seafoam works through the fuel tank, wishfull thinking, will the mpg improve on the second tank of gas?

2004 Z71 4WD, born 1-7-2004, loaded, Ambers, TOC, Air bags, Mobile 1
anglarry04

Awards
« Reply #195 on: 07/03/10 05:25 PM »

No answer?  I'd like to do this to my 07, but I want to be sure I have the right tube first...I may just dump it in the gas tank.

I bought a can last night that I am going to try on the boat this weekend.  I haven't decided if I am going to dump 1/2 down the carb and 1/2 in the tank, or all of it in the tank yet...suggestions?

in the tank is ok but its not gonna be the same effect as directly into the engine.   I would think into the booster hose.   Thats how I do my honda and sonoma

WestNewton

Awards
« Reply #196 on: 07/07/10 06:19 AM »

I was on SeaFoam's website for their spray product, "Deep Creep" and this site: http://www.seafoamsales.com/how-to-use-sea-foam-spray.html says:

"Sea Foam has introduced a convenient new long-reach straw for performing an engine treatment in special situations like Vortec engines and Subaru’s H style engines, where there is no single vacuum line for all cylinders. These situations require spraying of Sea Foam Spray directly into the throttle body. The long-reach straw is uniquely designed to spray 360 degrees through 4 holes in the side of the straw, to help in evenly distributing the spray to all cylinders and throughout the inside of throttle bodies."

Their "Special Situations" engines incluce Vortect engines.

Another spot on SeaFoam's website says:

"ove carbon and varnish deposits more quickly, Sea Foam can be induced directly into the combustion chamber via the following method. With the engine warmed up and running, SLOWLY POUR 1/3 to ˝ can of Sea Foam down the carburetor throat or into any main manifold vacuum line that DISTRIBUTES EVENLY TO ALL CYLINDERS. Note that some newer induction systems, like those found on Vortec and Subaru “H” style engines, do not have any vacuum line that distribute evenly. Consequently, this process should only be attempted by technicians with a comprehensive understanding of the engine’s induction system."

Apparently there is no single hose that will distribute to all cylinders.

My question for someone who know the ins and outs of this engine is this: By using the brake booster line, how unevenly would the seafoam be distributed?  Is it a minimal disparity, which would not bother me?  Or is it a huge difference, or even a  chance it skips some cylinders?

Seafoam has a 30" stray that sprays 360 degrees which they say to use and pull along the intake manifold slowly to evenly spread the seafoam to all cylinders.

Thanks everyone for your insight and wisdom!

~Scott  Thumbs up!

02 z71, ambers, Spectre intake, FTDRL's
CntrySngr72

There is no other...

Awards
« Reply #197 on: 07/07/10 07:24 AM »

I used this in my boat this weekend.  I poured a bit down the carb while it was running, then shut it down for 5 mins.  According to their site it should have been 10 mins.  I put the rest in the fuel tank.  Ran her for a while afterwards and she idled SO MUCH BETTER!  Purred like a kitten!!  I'm going to get another can and let it sit longer next time, and then change out the oil and plugs.

I also plan on getting a can or two for my AV.  I'll try the 30" spray as well as one for the gas tank.  This stuff is awesome!

anglarry04

Awards
« Reply #198 on: 07/15/10 02:56 PM »

now I am wondering if we are doing right, since my av didnt smoke as much as my honda.   I still noticed a difference so Im gonna keep doing it.   Just waiting to over come my fear of doing my new av....almost 20000 miles now

CntrySngr72

There is no other...

Awards
« Reply #199 on: 07/16/10 08:14 AM »

now I am wondering if we are doing right, since my av didnt smoke as much as my honda.   I still noticed a difference so Im gonna keep doing it.   Just waiting to over come my fear of doing my new av....almost 20000 miles now
A new motor probably won't smoke as much...give it 50K miles, it will!! 

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: