Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
10/25/14 04:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5.3 to 6.0 engine swap???  (Read 18058 times)
dannyd

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« on: 08/01/09 04:53 AM »

HI everyone-
I have an '03 1500 and was wondering if there's anyone out there that's done a 5.3 to 6.0 engine swap??
If you, did you have any problems?
Hope I posted this in the right place Roll Eyes
Thanks-
DougD
CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member

So, didja?

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 08/01/09 06:41 AM »

Yes, it's been done, and there are at least a couple of threads on it.

2003 Victory Red WBH Z66.  Suburban moldings.  Color-matched handles.  K&N FIPK-II.  Dynomax Cat-Back.  DVD/TV & Vizualogics.  Ambers.  Silverstars Hi, Lo & Fog.  Police Pursuit wipers.  Dually rear clearance light (still in the box).
Old No.7 Avalanche
CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator

Whiskey Drinker

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 08/02/09 07:23 AM »

I did it reciently. all you gotta do is swap all your external parts (power steering, A/C, intake,Alt brackets Etc) and your good (also The 5.3L flywheel fits the 6.0). You have two types of 6.0's The LQ4 and the LQ9. The LQ4 is usually in the Silverado SS and the LQ9 is in the EXT. The LQ9 has a higher horsepower # up front outta the box and also the LQ9 has Coated pistons so you can push more outta her without fear of grenading her. Also if your goin to do it look into a GT2-3 cam and yellow LS6 valve springs and Comp cams pushrods (if you go into Lingerfelters website its all a kit) It's gonna run you about 500$ but in the long run it's worth it. If your serious about this endeavor. P.M me and I'll call you and walk you through it as best as I can. (that's how I did it)
ALSO:: Before you go into this undertaking I highly recomend reading these books first then decide if this is for you. (in the order as posted so you will know if this is for you before buying the next)  #7

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Engine-Management-Performance-How-S/dp/1932494421/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b/279-3423632-2252931

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Modify-Management-Systems-Motorbooks-Workshop/dp/0760315825

Horsepower is the force that determines at what speed you hit the wall, torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it.#7
Motion427

Looking for a hi-speed muffler bearing??????

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 08/03/09 04:56 AM »

I did mine about 3 years ago.Lot more power,did not lose any MPG.
Nothing different than a 5.3L as long you get a 6.0L a late 6.0L.Some early 6.0L had a different crank that require a spacer.Mine is an 04 Avalanche,and I found a 04 6.0L LQ9.Did a cam change and a springs upgrade while it was on the engine stand.Did the change over in a day. Would need to retune the ECM to get maximum power.

04 AV 6.0L LQ9,Z71
Comp Cam,Corsa,Dynatech,MSD,TVS 1900 Supercharger, Eaton Truetrac,Skyjacker,KMC,AVS.
Yank converter on stand by.
06 TBSS,Bolt on's
10 Camaro RS/SS Bolt on's
Old No.7 Avalanche

Whiskey Drinker

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 08/03/09 08:38 AM »

I did mine about 3 years ago.Lot more power,did not lose any MPG.
Nothing different than a 5.3L as long you get a 6.0L a late 6.0L.Some early 6.0L had a different crank that require a spacer.Mine is an 04 Avalanche,and I found a 04 6.0L LQ9.Did a cam change and a springs upgrade while it was on the engine stand.Did the change over in a day. Would need to retune the ECM to get maximum power.

AHH yes I forgot to add that in  Thumbs up! Thanks Motion427 for pointing that out. My tune was done (is still being done, he trying to nail down the Detanation problem, nothing drastic) By Allen Nelson from Nelson Performance Thumbs up!

Horsepower is the force that determines at what speed you hit the wall, torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it.#7
Motion427

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 08/03/09 01:57 PM »

The knock sensor was picky on mine. LQ9 engine. It was too sensitive
You can tell that to Allen,that may help ya.

04 AV 6.0L LQ9,Z71
Comp Cam,Corsa,Dynatech,MSD,TVS 1900 Supercharger, Eaton Truetrac,Skyjacker,KMC,AVS.
06 TBSS,Bolt on's
Old No.7 Avalanche

Whiskey Drinker

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 08/04/09 10:44 AM »

The knock sensor was picky on mine. LQ9 engine. It was too sensitive
You can tell that to Allen,that may help ya.
Holy Cow Shocked. I completly forgot about the Knock sensors banghead banghead I took them outta my 5.3. Thanks  Thumbs up! #7

bandt0913

yummmm

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 08/04/09 12:03 PM »

It was too sensitive
leave it to a canuk.. 

I'm guessing you mean that the ball mount is stuck inside the receiver?
Your description is rather lacking.
If my guess is right, soak the receiver tube from both ends with something like PB Blaster or other penetrating lube, and hammer at the ball mount SIDEWAYS a bit, not foreward and aft, break the grip of the rust.
Motion427

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 08/04/09 05:45 PM »

leave it to a canuk.. 

Beating

lol...

04 AV 6.0L LQ9,Z71
06 TBSS,Bolt on's
dannyd

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 08/29/09 04:54 AM »

Thanks for the info guys! Cheesy
Old No.7 Avalanche

Whiskey Drinker

Awards
« Reply #10 on: 08/29/09 06:57 AM »

Thanks for the info guys! Cheesy
Not a problem Thumbs up! were always here to help.#7
« Last Edit: 06/14/10 10:58 AM by Old No.7 Avalanche » Logged

anglarry04

No more Avalanche...traded for a '11 Traverse

Awards
« Reply #11 on: 08/30/09 04:38 AM »

dang!
Where was I when these threads came out?   I was wondering about that kind of swap.   Or even to a newer 5.3.   Interesting job, but doubt I will ever get to it.   I'm still trying to convince the wife to let me rebuild the honda engine.

2002 1500 Forest green Z71-traded
2004 1500 Sunburst Orange Metallic Z-71-Traded for
2008 1500 Granite Blue LT-Traded for
2011 Traverse LT Red Tint Jewel-current
2006 Trailblazer LT-Wifes-traded 31 Mar for
2008 Tahoe LT1 Ruby Red Metallic
1995 Honda Civic with Acura Type R swap-My project hot rod
HitechRedneck
CAFCNA 2011 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #12 on: 06/12/10 07:15 PM »

Would HP-Tuners be able to the job of reprogramming the Avy after the swap?

I still miss my EX........... But my aim is IMPROVING!!!!!
msdinsp
CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member

I Love My Avalanche & the USA

Awards
« Reply #13 on: 06/13/10 05:12 PM »

With HP Tuners, you'd be doing the tuning.
If you know what you're doing, or have someone that can help you out, it is more than capable.

'07, LT3, just started modding, rear window glasscape, bedslide, Line of Fire, Westin Bullbar, Bugshield, window vent visors, hard wired radar detector, 100 Watt driving lights, black rubber floor mats, LTZ console, molded splash guards. Debadged, then rebadged with patriotic decals(bowtie, Chevrolet on tailgate, Avalanche on doors). Train Horns! 2.5" leveling kit & 3"body lift
More to come for sure!
Old No.7 Avalanche

Whiskey Drinker

Awards
« Reply #14 on: 06/14/10 11:01 AM »

Yes with H.P tuners you need a Dyno shop. (believe me, I don't have a dyno shop nearby and I'm still adjusting at which I will be stopping soon and calling it quits banghead).
You must be very patient with HPT.#7

HitechRedneck

Awards
« Reply #15 on: 06/14/10 02:58 PM »

What is the best thing to do then?  I can handle the mechanical/electrical part of the swap, but not sure about the "patience" part with programming.  I want to make sure it is done right.... right now.

Old No.7 Avalanche

Whiskey Drinker

Awards
« Reply #16 on: 06/14/10 03:40 PM »

Well if your only pulling out the 5.3 and dropping in the stock 6.0, with out and serious mods. (cam,S/Charger,head work, headers,meth kit, which is what I did). Then go to Nelson performance.Allen can give you a 6.0L computer already tuned (you will have to send yours in return) and you should be able to be good to go. Thumbs up!#7

HitechRedneck

Awards
« Reply #17 on: 06/14/10 03:54 PM »

Excellent!  All that I want is a little more power with the swap (cam, valve springs, etc.)  Already have CAI and exhaust.

Old No.7 Avalanche

Whiskey Drinker

Awards
« Reply #18 on: 06/15/10 04:05 AM »

Excellent!  All that I want is a little more power with the swap (cam, valve springs, etc.)  Already have CAI and exhaust.
Then you shouldn't have any problems. Good luck with it. Thumbs up!
Just keep asking questions like you are and you should be better informed and prepared to make the swap with out difficulty.
BTW. I find the SA books to be the best as far as detail.

Here are the books that I used in my swap.#7
http://www.amazon.com/Swap-Engines-Almost-Anything-Design/dp/1932494812
http://www.amazon.com/How-Build-High-Performance-Chevy-V-8s/dp/1884089844
http://www.themotorbookstore.com/9781932494600.html
http://www.jegs.com/i/S-A-Designs/840/SA156/10002/-1?parentProductId=1169316

Clayhammer
CAFCNA 2012 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #19 on: 11/02/10 11:01 AM »

I've been considering a swap in my 02 1500.  The LS3 or L92 6.2L is looking real interesting but may be difficult.  Has anyone looked into putting either of these in an AV?
« Last Edit: 11/02/10 06:48 PM by Clayhammer » Logged

Clayhammer - Mike
2005 2500 4x4, Pewter, Volant CAI, Dual Magnaflow Exhaust, Hypertech Max Energy, EBC Yellow Stuff
we_fly_high

Short Fuse

Awards
« Reply #20 on: 11/13/10 07:36 PM »

So how much would a LQ9 run money wise? I'm talking on average. And how does Nelson work as far as getting the tune I want?

2004 Pewter/Black Cammed, Stalled, Tuned, SOLD
2009 Saab 9-7x Aero Diamond Silver Metallic, 1of 21 made!
Vetnsyd
JVZL1
CAFCNA 2014 Premium Member

Looking For A Crew Cab Pick UP Drove An AVY

Awards
« Reply #21 on: 11/14/10 07:04 AM »

I have read LQ9 comes cast or aluminum block. What truck would you find the aluminum block in. Any one know if there is a big price deference if purchased in a wrecking yard.
If you are looking to stroke a 6.0 witch is the best block.
JV

'03 Z71 Dark Gray Cladded
Bug Visor,Floormats;Full Time Amber DRL's; Rear Head Rest Mod; INJEN Tuned Air Intake;MSD wires;ALL ON HIGH;Grippin Billet tailgate handle Magnum black;EBC Brakes;RS9000XL Shocks;Moog Steering Stabilizer;HP Tune From Superwagon;Dual Batteries;Painless 40120 Digital Power Manager; FF Dynamics Electric Fans; DynoMax VT;
JV
Old No.7 Avalanche

Whiskey Drinker

Awards
« Reply #22 on: 11/14/10 08:22 AM »

Hey guys sorry for the delay, (work). I purchased my engine through engines direct. They specialize in new, rebuilt, or Salvage (and they warranty their stuff). I'll get you the number. If you want to look for a "Salvage" motor the LQ9's come in our sister trucks (EXT's). The quick visual way to see if you got the right block. It will say 6.0L on the block, The way to tell if it's a LQ9 as apposed to an LQ4, just look at the exhaust ports the LQ9's are "D" shaped the LQ4's are round like our 5.3's. My engine with a full quality rebuild (all new parts) cost me around 5,000 (but I also asked for certain parts to be added in as I knew what I was going to be doing).I don't remember the 1800 number off hand (I'll look for it), But speak to Steve. tell him what club your from and tell him that Frankie (with the Jack Daniels AV) sent ya. Great guy. Here is the link. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.  Thumbs up!#7

http://stores.ebay.com/ENGINES-DIRECT

we_fly_high

Short Fuse

Awards
« Reply #23 on: 11/14/10 12:55 PM »

Awesome, thanks #7

2004 Pewter/Black Cammed, Stalled, Tuned, SOLD
2009 Saab 9-7x Aero Diamond Silver Metallic, 1of 21 made!
Vetnsyd
johnv656
CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #24 on: 12/28/10 05:51 AM »

Will installing the 6.0 give me much more pulling power?
Currently have the 5.3 and it struggles pulling my 25 foot boat, hard top also, guessing around 7500 lbs.
Engine all of a sudden started using oil and some coolant at 93,000 miles.

trying to decide between an engine swap and just plain getting rid of the AV
 (which I thought would never happen)  I need a hug
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: