• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Backing plates/Dust shield question

xceebeex

In the process of changing my pads and rotors in the rear I found that one of the backing plates was completely rusted away and the other side probably won?t be too far behind. After looking in to how to replace them and found how time consuming it was I got to thinking of an easier way to do it so I wanted to check here to see if anyone has done it differently.

I was thinking instead of removing the axles I would just cut a slit in the new backing plate so I can basically wrap it around the axle and then using something like JB Weld to ?weld? the slit back together, although I don?t know that would matter too much anyway since there are 4 bolts holding the backing plate on so it wouldn?t really go anywhere.

So, thoughts?

Are not the bolts that hold it on hidden by axle flange?
like you may be able to loosen bolts but not get them out of there?

ygmn said:
Are not the bolts that hold it on hidden by axle flange?
like you may be able to loosen bolts but not get them out of there?

That is a good point, I have not looked in to that. Plus, I don't know how long the bolts are either.

I think I read in the manual that there is a hole in the flange for access to the bolts. But always check first.

the axle comes out after removing the "c" clip from inside the carrier, with the axle out of the way you can remove the backing plate bolts.

jimbo53188 said:
the axle comes out after removing the "c" clip from inside the carrier, with the axle out of the way you can remove the backing plate bolts.

I would like to avoid removing the axle, but maybe this is a good time to do it so I can replace the fluid as well. How long of a job is it to remove the axle? Would it take me a couple hours? All day?

pretty easy,remove the diff cover,remove the crosshaft bolt,pull the crosshaft out,push the axle in to expose the c clip, fish the c clip off the axle end, pull the axle out and replace the backing plate. reverse to assemble!  (y)

jimbo53188 said:
pretty easy,remove the diff cover,remove the crosshaft bolt,pull the crosshaft out,push the axle in to expose the c clip, fish the c clip off the axle end, pull the axle out and replace the backing plate. reverse to assemble!  (y)

If I do it this way, should I replace the axle seals as well? I am assuming yes.

Canadian AV said:
Im going to completly rebuild my rear brakes, parking brake and dust shields.  Should I replace the axle bearings since im right there ? I have 195000KM on the truck

Wouldn't hurt to replace those. I suggest getting Timken bearings and either buy or rent an at least 5lb slide hammer to get the bearing out. I ended up destroying one of the old bearings after about the 10th whack on the hammer. And digging those stupid things out of the axle housing is not fun. It's amazing how tight they can set after being in there for a while.

Somebody missed some important steps in replacing the backing plates.

First off - you cannot get the old ones out without pulling the axles.

Second off - you have to remove at least one side of the track bar before the rear differential cover will come off.

Third off, you will need a new cover gasket when you go to put it all back together.

Most times - at least one axle seal will be leaking, most times it is on the drivers side.

The backing plates are stamped and have a bevel around the radius for the axle housing - which gives them strength in that area.  I do not believe that the dust shields do all of that much, other then hold the cable in place.

I was told that the replacement plates are now made by Dorman and they have a plant in Pittsburgh that is stamping them out.  I do not know if it is true or not, but I was also told that you can purchase them over the counter and do not have to go to a dealer to buy them anymore.

To put it in perspective, when I bought mine from a dealer with my body shop discount 3 years ago, the price was $50 each!

Dorman now offers split backing plate so you dont have to remove the axle. Part number from Dorman is 924-213 this part number is the same for both sides.

http://qa.dormanproducts.com/p-13955-924-213.aspx?year=2002&make=CHEVROLET%2520TRUCK&model=AVALANCHE%25201500&engine=V8%2520%252D%25205%252E3L%2520%2528323%2520CID%2529%253A%2520GAS%253A%2520FI%253A%2520N%253A%2520T&parttype=Brake%2520Dust%2520Shield

Is it ever worth replacing them at all?  What real purpose do they serve?

You also don't have to remove the axle is you buy the 2-piece backing plate:
http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-924-213-Chevrolet-Split-Shield/dp/B003SJLTL4

I just had mine replaced (should have been done 3 years ago) by my mechanic who gave me the option of the split plates. I went with the split plates and I think it was around $600 CND to place them. My first estimate from GM 3 years ago with the one piece system was around $1250 CND...that's why it took me so long to do it. I only wish someone would offer a stainless steel replacement part even for $75 a plate...when so much labor is involved in this fix.

Nitrousbird said:

I ran my 2002 Avalanche without them for 3 years with no problem. I was told that they keep rocks and other foreign objects out but think about it, the fronts do not have anything to do this. I suppose if you lived on a gravel road they might help........

I would guess the fronts wouldn't be as much of an issue considering that debri doesn't really get thrown up there as much. I'm in Southern Ontario and with all the crap they put on the roads in the winter I will take as much rear brake protection as I can.

Wow!
Thanks for the information everyone.

I was about to drop $300 in labor to have mine replaced, but with the split one, it seems like I could do it myself!

Thanks,
jay

Nitrousbird said:

So I come upon this thread related to what I'm doing with my AV after just replacing rear brake calipers and pads, with the original dust shields just withered away through rust.  I tried looking for shields that you can just snap on, but based on what I've seen, you have to at least remove the calipers, rotors, and brackets to be able to unscrew the remnants of the old shield from the axle flange, if you can get them off after most likely being fused with rust. 

Right now, I don't have anything on them after just ripping the rusted shield away, and noticed that they do serve a purpose because with the new brake pads, especially like the cheap ones I got, they give off a lot of brake dust and they just blow onto the wheels, and brake dust just ends up oxidizing fairly quickly, so it looks like rusted particles or dust collected around the wheel spokes as well as the whole caliper assembly. But I'm going to wait until the next set of brake pad changes and get ceramic or some other pads that don't give off as much dust, cleaning the wheels in the meantime on the regular basis. If that's the case, I'm amazed with all the brake dust that these shields actually keep within the interior of the rotor and between the parking brake shoes if these shields actually do their jobs.

When i bought new rear rotors and calipers last summer,i also bought new shocks and these dust covers.I bought the splitted ones,and i just chiseled away what was left of them.Then it was just bolting all together again.

Back