• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Pitman arm HELP!

00kidd

Ok, I'm trying to replace my Idler and Pitman arms and install the Cognito brace kit but I can't get the pitman arm off!

I removed the 1 5/16" bolt, the skid plate, the stabilizer bar, disconnected both tie rods and the idler arm and bracket but the pitman arm will not come off! I broke my Craftsman 5-ton 2 jaw puller trying to separate it.

Do I have to remove the entire steering gear? Anyone who has done this let me know how, please. My truck is stuck in the driveway until I get this fixed.

P1010001-3.jpg

P1010002-5.jpg

P1010003-5.jpg

Darkhorse said:
Looks easy, too bad thats not an Avalanche.

I went out and bought a pitman arm puller and tried again to no avail. I also looked above the steering box and there is a nut that is straight up from the pitman arm so I removed that too, just in case, but it didn't help either.

I don't know what else to do short of taking out the entire steering gear and even if I did that I don't see how I could remove the pitman arms since I don't have a vise to hold the assembly.

If anyone has done this themselves please let me know how!
P1010002-6.jpg

P1010004-4.jpg

P1010005-5.jpg

P1010001-4.jpg

This may be dumb but........ with the angle of the pitman arm, do you think removing the other end.....the center link would help with removal

00kidd said:
Looks easy, too bad thats not an Avalanche.
If anyone has done this themselves please let me know how!
Yeah, they're nothing alike...funny they use the same pitman arm.

I've replaced a lot of them-if it won't come off, you're not trying hard enough.

thomsen05 said:
This may be dumb but........ with the angle of the pitman arm, do you think removing the other end.....the center link would help with removal
The rest of the center link is disconnected, its pretty much free floating, so I don't think its hindering the removal of the pitman arm.

Darkhorse said:
Yeah, they're nothing alike...funny they use the same pitman arm.

I've replaced a lot of them-if it won't come off, you're not trying hard enough.
It may be the same pitman arm but the Avalanche has a frame/cross member in the way which I think is causing my problem. The puller tensioner is getting caught on the frame and no matter how hard I turn it, it is just digging into the steel member, as you can see in this picture. I'm trying plenty hard though, don't you worry about that.
P1010001-5.jpg

With the puller in place and tight try a couple light taps on the end of the hex of the puller and rethighten puller.  Be careful with tapping so you don't mushroom the hex.   Put the small nut back on, that will only get you in more trouble.

Mdz66 said:
With the puller in place and tight try a couple light taps on the end of the hex of the puller and rethighten puller.  Be careful with tapping so you don't mushroom the hex.   Put the small nut back on, that will only get you in more trouble.
Hey thanks Mdz66, thats good advice, and I tried it, but the hex of the puller kept getting caught on the cross member so no mater how much you bang or turned it was just digging into the metal of the cross member.

However, I got it out! I pulled out my hacksaw and trimmed the cross member where the puller was getting stuck and bam! 2 minutes later it slid right out! I'm not saying that this is the best or recommended way, but it worked!

P1010001-6.jpg

The notch I made with my hacksaw, problem solved!
P1010002-7.jpg

The entire assembly removed! I got both arms off the control arm tonight and the new ones installed on the truck. Tomorrow I'll throw on the Cognito brace kit and put it all back together! Thanks for the help and suggestions! Hopefully putting it all back together tomorrow will go a lot smoother!

awesome photos. glad you got it off. im sure the crossmember will be fine as you are not the first to notch it out ;)

make sure to take pics of the install too... I'll be doing this in a couple weeks once I get parts ordered (y)

SssMOkinAV, (it's Mo, right?) or anyone else installing new arms or the Cognito brace kit:
Removal is pretty straight forward, just be prepared for a struggle with the actual pitman arm. A pitman arm puller is easier to use than a gear puller, but you will need the gear puller too! It helps to remove the stabilizer bar from the get go, it comes out easy enough anyways. I pulled the entire control arm out and popped the idler and pitman arms off away from the truck, this isn't required but makes life easier. Plus its only 2 extra bolts, one on each tie rod.

Installation is the easy part. Make sure you get the pitman arm seated all the way. The Cognito kit was a little tricky at first but a little wiggling around will get it on right. There are two jam nuts that go on the rod ends for the brace kit. Put the first one on tight, then the brace, then the second jam nut but leave it loose, this is the only way to get both ends lined up, then tighten everything down with the thread lock.

My truck is at the alignment shop now, I'll post on how it feels once I get it back.

P1010001-7.jpg

Idler arm and Cognito brace installed
P1010002-8.jpg

Pitman arm and Cognito brace installed

It fells great now, more solid. Plus my truck actually drives straight for the first time since I've owned it.

Desert Av, I don't know why I had so much trouble either. That brace that I had to notch is where the factory skid plate mounts, so maybe that corner brace is only on z-71s??? I don't know? Does everyone have that brace? ???

00kidd said:
It fells great now, more solid. Plus my truck actually drives straight for the first time since I've owned it.

Desert Av, I don't know why I had so much trouble either. That brace that I had to notch is where the factory skid plate mounts, so maybe that corner brace is only on z-71s??? I don't know? Does everyone have that brace? ???

dont tell me that!! mine's a Z71 also  :E:

sssMOkinAV said:
dont tell me that!! mine's a Z71 also  :E:
I don't know, I'm asking. Maybe, Maybe not.

SRFNSNO said:
did you get the Idler Pivot and Gusset from Cognito?

No, just the pitman and idler arm brace kit.

I have had some pitman arms in really bad spots where it was imposible to get the puller on it .  But I take a cut off wheel and cut the arm almost to the splines and than crack it open with a chisel..  They slide right off every time Ive done it.

00kidd said:
SssMOkinAV, (it's Mo, right?) or anyone else installing new arms or the Cognito brace kit:
Removal is pretty straight forward, just be prepared for a struggle with the actual pitman arm.
P1010002-8.jpg

Pitman arm and Cognito brace installed

Hey 00Kidd - Do you have a link to that Kit youve got?

This kit is to improve the steering tracking right? Its not for a lift ?

DESERTAV said:
http://cognitomotorsports.com/store/page21.html

http://cognitomotorsports.com/store/page24.html

These kits are awesome!

I have a 4WD with no lift, Im a bit confused on which tie rod kit I would order - they list one for aftermarket pitman arms, and one for stock pitman arms and lifted...my truck isnt aftermarket lifted...so would I go with the first kit?

Thank you!

arizona-dave said:
These kits are awesome!

I have a 4WD with no lift, Im a bit confused on which tie rod kit I would order - they list one for aftermarket pitman arms, and one for stock pitman arms and lifted...my truck isnt aftermarket lifted...so would I go with the first kit?

Thank you!

I would give them a call. they are always very helpful and they will give you the right info.

Back