• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Posting about GTG's

pktwatch

SM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2004
SM 2003
POSTING ABOUT OUR GTG's IN OTHER STATES

Make the invite in any state that you wish, just provide a link back to the thread that you started in your state and then ask a moderator to lock it.  This way all of the discussion is in the main thread about your GTG. After your GTG is over please ask a moderator to remove your post. Of course the member of the state that you are inviting can start another thread about travel to or "who is attending" and talk it up there! This should make it much easier for the person who is hosting the GTG because they can follow all of the talk about the GTG in the main thread. Also for members looking for a GTG this will make it much easier to find where it is located. I know I have read  threads about GTG's in one state only to find after reading many pages of posts that the GTG was not even in that state!

Also please try to follow this form when making a thread about a GTG:

Event Title, Location - Month, Day and year.
The year is very important as we move forward.......

Thanks, Butch

UPDATED on 01/07/2010 to better reflect the new posting rules..........

OK, I guess I won't post any GTG threads then.  I post in both Missouri and Kansas because the Kansas City Metro area is in BOTH states.  IMO all this will do is put state against state and make people think they aren't wanted because they live in a different state.

This isn't meant as a slam to any staff or members here and since that is the new rule I'll abide.  Like I said, just so it won't cause any confusion, I won't post about any GTG's at all.  If I want to meet with somebody I'll send them a PM or send a PM to our local coordinator and let him make the decision if he wants to have a GTG or not.

Thanks for the information, Butch.

Just my .02 but I don't like the policy of NOT posting GTGs in neighboring states. I agree that inviting other states and members makes it seem more family like and can increase enthusiasm. Regional postings will help in many cases if members visit those areas but even that can hamper things ex: here in Virginia we would NOT know anything about North Carolina GTGs even though they are a neighboring state since they are in a different region.
I know many members do NOT look at the site daily and only are on for awhile to check a few areas. The new policy would make them have to check surrounding states or states they have friends in in order to be current on GTGs. That lack of getting the word out may lead to decreased attendance.

Understand that you can post about your GTG's in the Region where the GTG is or any other Region, the state threads are just getting messed up with people posting from all over about a GTG that most will not be interested in. It is best to get used to reading the Region threads along with your state threads because that will give you a picture of what is going on in the area..........

If you feel you need to post your GTG in another States section (an invitation of sorts), provide a link to the hosting States thread (your thread) and ask a mod or admin to lock it so all the discussion are in one thread.

Every gt doesn't need to be advertised in all the neighboring States.

If the invited States members want to discuss who's planning on going, they can start their own thread in their own section..

And yes, as Butch said.. "It is best to get used to reading the Region threads along with your state threads because that will give you a picture of what is going on in the area."

That just doesn't make any sense to me and like I said before, it's going to put state against state.

If it was all truly about the PEOPLE and not the AV's this doesn't seem like a way to show it.

My Firefox Tab is the Michigan Section and Im sure over 80% of the members on this site has set their Bookmarks/Tabs up the same way and Only go to their State Section. Iv attended GTGs in Ohio and IN and the ONLY  way I knew about them was an invitation via a post in the Michigan Section.

I agree that NOT all GTGs need to be posted in other states but I disagree that BIG GTGs cant invite neighboring states.

I guess I'll be staying in Michigan for the upcoming GTGs unless someone PMs me as I dont check the Region section nor other states sections...  (n)

RonJ said:
I agree that NOT all GTGs need to be posted in other states but I disagree that BIG GTGs cant invite neighboring states.

amd1900mp said:
If you feel you need to post your GTG in another States section (an invitation of sorts), provide a link to the hosting States thread (your thread) and ask a mod or admin to lock it so all the discussion are in one thread.

I keep a list in the Ohio section.
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,93283.0.html

If anybody from any state wants their GTG added, PM me.  :wave:

Z66 BUTCH said:
We have been asked to not post our GTG's in the other state forums. At first I thought what is the big deal but then I see the other side. Some states are very busy with their own posting and their GTG's, posting ours there only clutters up their area. If you have members from other states that you feel may want to attend it is best to PM them a link to the post in our own state. Also it is OK to make one post in each Region Forum so we need to start looking at our own Region forums not just in our own state for GTG's.

Also please try to follow this form when making a thread bout a GTG:

Thanks, Butch

Seems to me that it is going to be alot more of a PIA to read through the entire regions GTG's versus a couple of states. Is this just because admins and mods are having to tough of a time keeping up with threads or is it really saving that much space?

There is a lot more BS that clogs other threads versus GTG invites in states.

Donnie1 said:
Seems to me that it is going to be alot more of a PIA to read through the entire regions GTG's versus a couple of states.

If a post for a GTG from one state is posted in another States section and "a link is provided to the hosting States thread" the discussion will be in one thread not many different threads.

Not sure where the PIA would be..

I think it's a good idea I can always post in the Michigan area about another GTG in another state.

Also I have to asked why is this just in the Region 3 area does it apply to the other Regions ???

And also several of the posters have there own site to post at.
I don't get it. :dunno:

I can understand avoiding clutter but I'm located about an hour from Ontario and Ohio which are not part of the Midwest and Great Lakes region and they may not look at Midwest/Great Lakes. We probably should use the regional section to post GTG threads, any time I post an invite to a neighboring state/province I include a link and bump/update it as the GTG draws nearer.

My signature usually shows next GTG I plan to attend, no plans right now.

amd1900mp said:

Gees, this is not a big deal. Make the invite in any state that you wish, just provide a link and then ask a admin to lock it so all of the discussion is in the main thread about your GTG. The way I see it, it makes it easier for the person hosting the GTG because all of the discussion is in one place. If someone wants to start a "lets cruise together to so & so's GTG" thread in their own state and the GTG is in another state I don't think that is a problem. And yes every state and Region will be the same........

amd1900mp said:
If a post for a GTG from one state is posted in another States section and "a link is provided to the hosting States thread" the discussion will be in one thread not many different threads.

Not sure where the PIA would be..

Because initially here it is what I read:

We have been asked to not post our GTG's in the other state forums. At first I thought what is the big deal but then I see the other side. Some states are very busy with their own posting and their GTG's, posting ours there only clutters up their area. If you have members from other states that you feel may want to attend it is best to PM them a link to the post in our own state. Also it is OK to make one post in each Region Forum so we need to start looking at our own Region forums not just in our own state for GTG's.

Also please try to follow this form when making a thread bout a GTG:

Thanks, Butch

Make the invite in any state that you wish, just provide a link and then ask a admin to lock it so all of the discussion is in the main thread about your GTG.

Now correct me if I am wrong but it says to not post in all states threads but to send PM's, which to me is a PIA. Now you are saying you can post in all states and add a link to said GTG.

Butch did not add the last part of his statement until today. To me, this is where the confusion is coming from.

MS03 2500 said:
And also several of the posters have there own site to post at.
I don't get it. :dunno:

Also was just curious as to what this means? Are you saying those that belong to other sites can't post here?

Hey Donnie1 it does not mean anything, some of the post that were here before they cleaned it up were mean spirited and down right insulting. That is what I don't understand

MS03 2500 said:
Hey Donnie1 it does not mean anything, some of the post that were here before they cleaned it up were mean spirited and down right insulting. That is what I don't understand

Ok, I must have missed those posts.

I don't want to jack this post, and I believe I know you well enough so I'll send you a PM.

Donnie1, you are correct, I went back and added the information about posting a link and then asking for it to be locked. Most people do not post in or even read their Region section and that is where the admins wanted the links posted, personally I think that is a good idea BUT we need to start looking at the Region area because it will let us know what is going on in our own Regions.

Butch

amd1900mp said:

Every gt doesn't need to be advertised in all the neighboring States.

If the invited States members want to discuss who's planning on going, they can start their own thread in their own section..

And yes, as Butch said.. "It is best to get used to reading the Region threads along with your state threads because that will give you a picture of what is going on in the area."

Just one clearification is needed..  What difference does it make who starts the thread ..  So its OK for say members in Virginia to start a thread in the Virginia section to discuss going to a GTG in Michigan, provided that the thread isnt started by someone in another state??
I wouldnt think thats ok, but am just wondering as its alittle confusing..

I understand the principle of things as I was told a month or so ago concerning the change just think its going to drive attendence down for actual GTGs is all..  

Thank you

OK really??? I try not to ruffle feathers here and go with the flow, even though I dont agree with a lot of thing. On both sides.

But you are saying that someone from Ohio (who is NOT in my region) or someone from Illinois posting their GTG in the Michigan thread is cluttering it up...however you now want me to check the Regional Thread in where I need to fish through 8 others states GTG's that I care nothing about because they are too far away (no offense to those 8 states, but I really don't care what's going on in N. Dakota or S. Dakota as its just too far away for me to attend GTG there).

So what sense does that make?I agree some people go overboard in posting their GTG in EVERY state possible. But if BigC is putting on a Holiday Dinner and last year there were people from Indiana, Illinois and Ohio there, to ME it is appropriate for him to post it in those states. If someone from Illinois is hosting their annual D&B GTG that traditionally MI members have attended, it's appropriate for him/her to post their GTG in MI.

This used to be a fun site where you could wish someone Happy Birthday or congrats on X number of posts whereever you wanted to. And by doing so you got to see variety of different people post from other states and "get to know them". Now all I can interact with is the MI people since that is how it seems you want the boards run. An you can't even invite someone to a GTG from another state with out it being some hassle.

Im done b*ing and off to MI Threads I go....

(edited only for correction of misspelled words)

Shels Land said:
OK really??? I try not to ruffle feathers here and go with the flow, even though I dont agree with a lot of thing. On both sides.

But you are saying that someone from Ohio (who is NOT in my region) or someone from Illinois posting their GTG in the Michigan thread is cluttering it up...however you now want me to check the Regional Thread in where I need to fish through 8 others states GTG's that I care nothing about because they are too far away (no offense to those 8 states, but I really don't care what's going on in N. Dakota or S. Dakota as its just too far away for me to attend GTG there).

So what sense does that make?I agree some people go overboard in posting their GTG in EVERY stae possibe. But if BigC is putting on a Holiday Dinner and last year there were people from Indiana, Illinois and Ohio there, to ME it is appropriate for him to post it in those states. If someone from Illinois is hosting their annual D&B GTG that traditionally MI members have attened, it's appropriate for him/her to post their GTG in MI.

This used to be a fun site where you could wish someone Happy Birthday or congrats on X number of posts whereever you wanted to. And by doing so you got to see variety of different people post from other states and "get to know them". Now all I can interact with is the MI people since that is how it seems you want the boards run. An you can't even invite someone to a GTG from another state with out it being some hassle.

Im done b*ing and off to MI Threads I go....

Welll said.

if looking in a different area for a gtg in another state is that difficult then should we really trust you to make it to the gtg?

I know if I'm driving through AL or FL then I look in those sections to see whats happening while I'm there.

I also realize that I live 5 miles from SC and I have friends there that I might want to see at a gtg in that state.

I dont see what the big deal is.  I like  it.

Back