Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
10/22/14 08:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Change fluid in Transfer Case  (Read 7310 times)
2004anche

Awards
« on: 10/19/09 11:41 AM »

Folks....

How difficult or easy is it to change the fluid in the 4 wheel drive transfer case?  The dealer telling me it's difficult to do.  Do you know the procedures? What type of fluid does it take? 

Thanks in advance.

Eskimo

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 10/19/09 12:24 PM »

It's freakin cake.  Probably those same jackholes at Chevy21 I bought my Avy from telling you that.

I'd have to check the manual, but it likely takes ATF in the case, and no more than 2 quarts of it.  There's a drain plug and a fill plug on the back of the case.  you remove both to drain it, screw in the bottom one snug, and fill the top on till fluid starts to come back out.  (You'll be best served to have a fill tube that screws to the top of the bottle to help make life easier).

That's an abridged "I'm at work and can't take forever to explain it in detail" version, but it's pretty simple, really.

Rich Q. in PA
White '04 2500, loaded...  Custom 2-2 Magnaflow, intake, dyno tuned, ambers, HID high/low/fogs, spacers, diode modded, some LED's, more to come...
'98 Trans Am M6 - Built to turn, mild heads & cam, 405rwhp, 399rwtq
'73 LandCruiser buggy - 5.3L, 42" IROKs, 4 wheel steer, 2.5 ton Rockwell axles, ORI Struts, lots of tube and just a little bodywork

My Psychologist says I have OMD - Obsessive Modification Disorder

BOSE LUX AMP FOR SALE - Only $150 OBO..
2004anche

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 10/19/09 12:41 PM »

Thanks...I figured it was simple and you verified there wasn't a unknown obstacle.  the service guys must be getting paid commission.  He wanted $125.
02 Z71
CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator

My other vehicle :)

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: 10/19/09 02:49 PM »

The transfer case is easy to change but it does take special fluid that you will have to buy at the dealer. If I recall it takes 2 qts but you might want to get 3 to make sure. The fluid is called Auto-Trak II and I believe that it is somewhere around $7/qt.

There have been a few people here that have used automatic transmission fluid and have had the transfer case fail shortly there after.  Thumbs down

Brian

2002 Z71 Av with a few mods
2002 Toyota Tacoma
2002 Harley Ultra Classic
Prime Power

Customize or it's not yours

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 10/19/09 04:44 PM »

I used the Amsoil fluid and it's a piece of cake.  Did the rear end, transfer case and front no probs.  Had more probs on my subaru than the truck.
cadboy1
CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 10/19/09 04:49 PM »

I use a suction gun to fill it. Its alot easier than trying to get the bottle up there and not make a mess  Cheesy

04 AV 2500
01 Olds Aurora 4.0
07 Trailblazer SS AWD
ItsStopher
CAFCNA Global Moderator

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 10/19/09 05:05 PM »

Fill the transfer case to the bottom of the fill plug hole with Auto-Trak II, transfer case fluid, GM P/N 12378508
TomShepard

Commander of The SSV Avalanche SR-3

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 07/05/14 11:42 AM »

The transfer case is easy to change but it does take special fluid that you will have to buy at the dealer. If I recall it takes 2 qts but you might want to get 3 to make sure. The fluid is called Auto-Trak II and I believe that it is somewhere around $7/qt.

There have been a few people here that have used automatic transmission fluid and have had the transfer case fail shortly there after.  Thumbs down

I'm doing my research and this has been mentioned many times. In my 2008 Avy  it says to use Dexron VI. I know on my 2006 Saab 9-7x it needs to be Auto-Trak II.

So obviously Auto-Trak II is not being specified to certain years.
Thomcat
CAFCNA 2013 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 07/05/14 01:47 PM »

I'm doing my research and this has been mentioned many times. In my 2008 Avy  it says to use Dexron VI. I know on my 2006 Saab 9-7x it needs to be Auto-Trak II.

So obviously Auto-Trak II is not being specified to certain years.

Always check the manual. Likely a change for the 2nd gen Avys......... front 80W90.....rear 75W-90.....transfer case Dextron VI

Dextron 6 is standard on the '12 and '13.........there have been changes in the transfer cases on newer models, for instance to prevent the wear through leak.

Current Chevys -   '12 Black LT; '13 Fairway Green LT Z71; '13 Malibu LT
First Avy - '07 Silver Birch LT
Previous  Chevys: '11 Tahoe LT; '11 Malibu LS; '06 Colorado WT; '80 Citation (a FWD POS -turned me off Chevys for 15 years); '75 Impala; 72 Chevelle; '69 Camaro R/T; '65 Impala SS; '62 Nova; '59 Impala; '53 model 210
Other: '80 Cordoba, '84 Crown Vic, '88 Crown Vic, '90 Fleetwood, '96 Taurus, '99 Cirrus, '00 Explorer, '02 300M, '04 300M, '06 T&C minivan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: