• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

SIR COIL HELP???????????

ncon315

Well I replaced my steering shaft today.  Works great but unfortunately I did not read enough info because, while doing the job I manged to break my SIR coil and have no idea how to replace it.  If anyone has any idea please help. 
Thanks Nick.

Steering Wheel Inflatable Restraint Module Coil Replacement (Coil)
Removal Procedure

Caution: Refer to SIR Caution in the Preface section.

Disable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling .
Remove the steering column trim covers. Refer to Steering Column Trim Covers Replacement in Steering Wheel and Column.
Remove the wire harness assembly (4) from the wire harness strap (5).
Remove the 2 wire harness straps (3) from the wire harness assembly.
Remove the wire harness strap (2) from the upper tilt head assembly (1).

Remove the retaining ring (1).
Remove the SIR coil (2).
Remove the wave washer (3) from the steering column upper shaft.
Installation Procedure

Align the block tooth on the upper shaft to the 12 o'clock position (1).

Notice: Ensure all fasteners are securely seated before applying needed torque. Failure to do so may result in component damage or malfunctioning of steering column.

Install the wave washer (1) to the steering column upper shaft.
A new SIR coil assembly will come pre-centered. However if centering is required, refer to Inflatable Restraint Steering Wheel Module Coil Centering in Steering Wheel and Column.

Align the SIR coil (2) with the horn tower on the turn signal cancel cam (1) Important: Do not remove the tab on the SIR coil until installation is complete.

Install the pre-centered SIR coil (2) to the steering column upper shaft.

Remove and discard the centering tab (1).

Notice: Gently pull on the lower coil assembly wire in order to remove any wire kinks inside of the column assembly. Verify that there are NO kinks or bends in the SIR coil assembly wire. If a kink or bend is present, interference may occur with the shaft lock mechanism. Turning the steering wheel may cut or damage the wire.

Install the retaining ring (1). Verify that the ring (1) is firmly seated in the groove on the upper shaft (2).

Install the wire harness assembly (4) into the wire strap (5).
Install the wire harness strap (2) into the upper tilt head assembly (1).
Install wire harness straps (3) to the wire harness assembly.
Install the steering column trim covers. Refer to Steering Column Trim Covers Replacement in Steering Wheel and Column.
Enable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling .
? 2008 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

Attachments

• 1.gif
    1.gif
    9.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 2.gif
    2.gif
    8.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 3.gif
    3.gif
    9.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 4.gif
    4.gif
    9.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 5.gif
    5.gif
    9.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 6.gif
    6.gif
    10.1 KB · Views: 85
It's not to hard to do but can be spendy. here are the highlights

You have to disable the airbag system and remove the steering wheel, knee panel and coulomb cover. Make sure wheels are strait and steering wheel is centred first.

UN plug wire harness from the coulomb and remove SIR coil. some have snap rings some just lock into place  Make sure new one is centred. even turns to lock left and right. Some have a window that shows a color or mark when centred. If not the first time you turn the wheel....snap!

Thanks Ill be trying this in a week or so.  I hope I can do it right since the coil is 100 bucks.  Ill be getting in touch if I have any concerns. Thanks again.

Back