• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Throttle Body Spacer

Brad03

I read recently in this month's issue of Truckin magazine of a guy who wrote in about adding a throttle body space combined with a cai to his 03 Yukon with the 5.3L engine, and seeing an improvement in gas economy.  Now I did some googling, and some searching on this forum, and i've read yes and no's.

I'm thinking of doing soon a cai, throttle body spacer, and computer programmer.  Adding all three together, i'm hoping will improve my gas economy.  I'm averaging about 15-17mpg a tank, depending on the week's weather, and how nice i feel like driving. I already have an exhaust on my truck. 
So my question is, has anybody noticed any gains of power or fuel economy combining a cai and a throttle body spacer together? How about adding a exhaust to the mixture as well? Computer progammer?  Does anybody have all four?  Thanks

Brad03

P.S. My truck is a 2003 avalanche 1500 4x4.

CAI and Exhaust didn't help or hinder my gas mileage. The CAI is an S&B and the Exhaust is a Gibson cat back. I also have the Gibson headers but would avoid them for what you are trying to do because they were more in prep for the supercharger than anything else and raised the underhood temp. Progammer I can not speak to since I only did it with the supercharger (after exhaust and CAI) and the throttle body spaceer I can not address either. I will say the only way you are going to get real comparable numbers is through logging a few tanks of gas with each add on individually, or progressively adding the mods. Good luck.  (y)

I had one with the Above Mods it helped .75-1 Mpg
Sold it to a GM mechanic when I went SuperCharged.

Brad03, I have all four and noticed improved power and response.
Airaid TBS
K&N 77 CAI
Magnaflow Catback exhaust
Hypertech tuner
But like Chopped_Burban said "I will say the only way you are going to get real comparable numbers is through logging a few tanks of gas with each add on individually, or progressively adding the mods."
I didn't log each add on  :E:

haha awesome moosealanche.  thanks for your input.  And thanks SRFNSNO and Chopped_Burban too!

I think i'll try a throttle spacer.  I mean I found them ranging from $40-100, so why not give it a go.  But just incase this question every pops up again, I think I'll data log with each mod I do.  I know when before my exhaust I was getting about 15 to 15.5 mpg from my truck.  Now that i've calmed down, and don't lean into the gas so much hearing my exhaust, I'm reaching about 16-16.5 mpg per tank. So I did see a bit of an improvement with the exhaust. 

I think when I order my new toys in, I'll do the right thing and add one, measure the after, then remove and add a different and measure that.  Go down the line adding and subtracting till I find the best combination that works.  And of course keep every body posted along the way :D

TB spacer were good with carburators but with modern engines , nahh is just a cool whistle that's all .
don't get mad at my opinion but all this doesn't make power , is like the ricers think adding a wing and a scoop the car will get 15 hp ,  after the flowing air pass the TB spacer supposely goes like an espiral  and that "makes hp " is not true , the flowing air passing the TB will get into the chambers no matter what you put upfront , don't waste your money in something that don't make power ,look at all the profesionals engines builders and see if they add a spacer to their project , u will find no one .  don't judge bad,    (y)

to the previous reply i mean the moderns engines project not the ones with carburators

Adding on to this - the minute difference in total runner length won't make much difference in the power curve, either.

Waste of money.

Back