• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Emissions Canister Vent Solenoid Valve Replacement

cutiger

I need some help from you guys that have replaced this part on you Avy.  I think that I have determined through trial and error that this is the problem part that is causing my P0442 code. 
It appears that the Evap Emissions Canister Vent Solenoid (the part that is back by the spare tire) for the 2002 Avalanche should be part # 15759044 (ACDelco 214-1091).  I went to buy this part from the ACDelco parts warehouse and they indicated that this part had been superseded by part # 19207762 (ACDelco 214-2081), so I bought it for $130.  I went to install it and discovered that the new part looks nothing like the old part.  The old part (see photo) has one electrical connector and one hose fitting.  The new part is actually 2 separate parts (see attached photo).  One part has one electrical connector and 2 hose fittings.  One hose fitting has a semi-rigid hose attached that is bent like your elbow.  The second part has a hose fitting only.
I called the dealer that I bought the truck from and talked to the parts manager.  He said that the new part that I have (19207762) is actually for a pickup truck and that I need to get the old part (15759044) which he says is hard to find.  When I called the ACDelco parts warehouse they indicated that they cannot get the old part anymore.  It seems strange to me that if the "old" part is what I really need, that I can't get it from ACDelco.  I also checked on-line and the old part is not available.
I found some clues on-line that there is a TSB on this (possibly #02-06-04-037B but cannot confirm this one applies to the 02 Avy).  There are clues that the new part with the bent hose goes up near the transmission and the emissions canister and that I need a 7-8 foot piece of hose to connect the 2 parts (in the kit that I bought) together.  If that is the case, I don't understand how the electrical connector works.  The one on the truck is back by the gas tank and doesn't appear to reach this new location.
Have any of you had this same problem and do I indeed have the wrong part?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have additional photos if that would be helpful.

Attachments

• Existing Vent Solenoid.JPG
    Existing Vent Solenoid.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 766
  • ACDelco 214-2081.JPG
    ACDelco 214-2081.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 773
Is there not someone out there that has dealt with this part before?
I called my dealer today and had him try and backorder the "old" part to see if there is someone that has it and will give it up.
Does anyone know if I can just take the bent hose off the new part and connect it where the old one was located?  I'm guessing that I will need a short length of heater hose to connect the solenoid piece and the vent itself.

You shouldn't have to invent it to work. I have changed most of my emissions stuff, myself. I haven't had the issue your having. There is an upgrade kit from the 02 but I'm un familuar with it.

Good luck, keep us updated anyhow

Well, I replaced the EVAP Canister Vent Solenoid valve and within a week the P0442 code was back.  I guess I will try and find the EVAP Canister Purge Solenoid valve and replace it.  I may also try and get an OEM gas cap and replace the aftermarket Stant that I installed a couple of months ago when the code first showed up.
Anyone know the part # for the EVAP Canister Purge Solenoid valve for the 02?

Hate to say it, but..."take it to the dealership and let them fix it"!  Sometimes, that's the best way to get it done when they've changed parts on you.

Got my truck in for a P0446 code that relates with this I believe.

I had the dealership replace the fuel pump (because I was in finals week and had no time to do it myself) 3 weeks ago and I think them may have done something like forgot to connect a vent hose or bent a hose or something like that. I would suggest you first check to see all hoses and connectors are seated all the way and then do what ms38w suggested and take it in. $96 to diagnose is steep but replacing parts until you get the right one is steeper.

Thanks for the input guys.
I just hate dealing with the "stealership" because I never know if I am getting the straight scoop.
I'll try replacing the gas cap and purge valve (about $35 in parts) and see where that leaves me.

Ok it was in fact P0440 code.

Dealership wanted $207 plus one hour to replace the evap canister. I just had them do the fuel pump about 200 mi ago which made me raise my eyebrows because they were just working in the general area and the evap canister does not go out often. Declined to fix it as I thought I could do it and took a look under the truck once I got home and found a wire disconnected from the evap canister. The tech broke off the nipple to where this small pipe connects to when dropping the fuel tank to do my fuel pump two week ago.

So two technicians screwed up one who did my fuel pump who failed to mention or notice the disconnected wire and the second technician who I paid $96 to diagnose that never even looked under the truck just plugged in his code reader and told the service writer what needed replaced.

I finally went out and bought the AC Delco replacement gas cap and put it on and reset the P0442 code.  For 2 weeks it didn't come back, so I thought that was the fix.  Last week it did come back, so I replaced the purge solenoid valve, reset the code and it came back the next day in only the second run cycle.  So far, I have replaced all of the servicable parts that I know of except for the canister itself.  Does anyone have any other ideas before I take it to the "stealership" with my hat in one hand and my credit card in the other.

I had a very similar problem awhile back. Replaced the gas cap with no luck, code kept coming back. So had to replace the same evap canister solenoid valve your talking about, only when I did I replaced another valve in the engine behind the manifold I think, that was suppose to be tied in to the one by the spare tire. It was recommended that when I did it to do both as it wouldn't fix the problem to do just one or the other. Not sure if you did both or just the one by the spare tire, but both were about $50 together and I haven't had a problem since.

I originally replaced the Emissions Canister Vent Solenoid Valve (the one back by the spare tire) and then I just replace the Emissions Canister Purge Solenoid Valve (the one that sits on the front of the engine under the plastic shroud that covers the top), so I think that I have replaced both.
Thanks for the suggestion though.
Anybody have any other ideas?  If not, I guess I will take it in to the dealership and have them diagnose the issue further.  Does anyone know if the sensor that sends information to the computer to set the code could be bad?

Well, I finally took the truck to the dealership a few weeks ago to see if they could chase down the problem.  Turns out it was the emissions canister itself that was faulty.  They replaced it (at the tune of about $250) and the code has not come back after about 3 weeks.

Hey, cutiger,
    Wanna make yourself feel better, go find some pain in the arse tree-hugger, and wring the money out of his hide.
    I am so dayum sick and tired of emission control pieces going bad and then costing WAAAAY too much to replace. How about we get the guvment to pay for replacing catalytic convertors.

Sorry [rant over]

EJ

GR1MR3APER said:
I had a very similar problem awhile back. Replaced the gas cap with no luck, code kept coming back. So had to replace the same evap canister solenoid valve your talking about, only when I did I replaced another valve in the engine behind the manifold I think, that was suppose to be tied in to the one by the spare tire. It was recommended that when I did it to do both as it wouldn't fix the problem to do just one or the other. Not sure if you did both or just the one by the spare tire, but both were about $50 together and I haven't had a problem since.
hey how the heck do you get that purge valve off underneath the manifold cover please its just hanging right now i cant get it disconnected from the hose 04 avi

GR1MR3APER said:
I had to replace this one as well a couple years ago. I too had trouble getting that one off but don't exactly remember how. I thought I broke something when it finally did. I thought some body had given the solution in this thread yeah it's a real simple job but a knuckle buster and I dnt want to break the clip  because that clip is probably hard to find

More information.  I have a 2003 Avalanche Z-71 (with the 5.3 engine).  My engine check light is on, I checked the gas cap, and thought the vent solenoid may need to be replaced. 

I ordered the Vent Solenoid from GMPARTSDIRECT.COM (cost was $14.43, shipping was $12.95, total cost was $27.3:cool: .  I sent GMPARTSDIRECT.COM the VIN on my truck and was told the part number for the solenoid i needed was 25932571.  Well the part I received is NOT similar to the part currently on the truck.  The part on the truck is basically square, the part I received is round and bigger them the original part.  So big, that it will not fit in the allocated space.  I'm not sure if I received the wrong part or if hardware is missing.  I e-mailed GMPARTSDIRECT.COM and am currently waiting on a response.   I have photos, but can seen to get them on here.  Will keep you posted.

PMELTony said:
More information.  I have a 2003 Avalanche Z-71 (with the 5.3 engine).  My engine check light is on, I checked the gas cap, and thought the vent solenoid may need to be replaced. 

I ordered the Vent Solenoid from GMPARTSDIRECT.COM (cost was $14.43, shipping was $12.95, total cost was $27.3:cool: .  I sent GMPARTSDIRECT.COM the VIN on my truck and was told the part number for the solenoid i needed was 25932571.  Well the part I received is NOT similar to the part currently on the truck.  The part on the truck is basically square, the part I received is round and bigger them the original part.  So big, that it will not fit in the allocated space.  I'm not sure if I received the wrong part or if hardware is missing.  I e-mailed GMPARTSDIRECT.COM and am currently waiting on a response.   I have photos, but can seen to get them on here.  Will keep you posted.

PMELTony said:

i believe gm has changed the replacement to a new design. there should be some mention of it on these forums, try another search and u should find it!

PMELTony said:
Is it the Vent Solenoid Valve (the one back by the spare tire - if your '03 is the same set-up as my '02 is) or the Purge Solenoid Valve (the one that is up on the manifold under the engine shroud)?  The part numbers you listed don't seem to match anything that I ran across doing this project.
I would encourage you to bit the bullet and take it to the dealer.  I basically spent 2-3 months chasing the problem and then took it to the dealer to find that it was the Evap Cannister itself that was the problem.  Replaced it and haven't seen the code since.

cutiger said:
I basically spent 2-3 months chasing the problem and then took it to the dealer to find that it was the Evap Cannister itself that was the problem.  Replaced it and haven't seen the code since.

Same here. It took me 3 months to finally solve this problem. First I replaced my gas cap, then my Vent Solenoid Valve (near the spare tire), then my Purge Valve Solenoid (top front of engine) and finally replaced my Canister itself. The canister solved my problem eventualy. Keep in mind that I'm from the Netherlands where there are almost no parts for the Avalanche so everything I needed, I had to get from overseas (and waaaaaaiiiiiiitttttt...).

I opened up the old canister (with a saw) and it was full of fuel; it litteraly poured out! I think my canister was saturated.

I keep getting a Check Engine light and the "Tighten Fuel Cap" message on the DIC. Do you know if you can buy just the Vapor Canister Purge Valve or do you have to purchase the whole evap canister.  I have pictures of this lovely device that is giving so many truck owners grief it only takes 5 min to take off. It is locate on 04 Avalanches ON the passenger side rear near the right rear tire just right of the fuel tank. Pictures
IMG_0147.JPG

IMG_0148.JPG

IMG_0149.JPG

IMG_0150.JPG

IMG_0151.JPG

Hope this helps someone looking for this defunct equipment giving errors. P0445 -  ...
...  Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Shorted

P0449 - EVAP Canister Vent Solenoid Valve Control Circuit

I replaced the part that has the blue O-ring on it the Valve. but you have to buy both They come as a set (GM P/N#25932571)Valve Solenoid Electrovalve cost $27.45 takes all of 5 min to take off and put the new one on.

No service manual, Just went off the the P codes checked the connections with a multimeter with them attached to the solenoid . The solenoid by the engine read 12volts took it off and cleaned it anyway applied 12 volts to the solenoid and watched and listened to it function , Moved on to the solenoid in the rear by the gas tank checked the voltage with the solenoid attached and got 0 volts disconnected the solenoid  and checked the voltage got 12 volts, applied 12volts to the solenoid and the part did not move or do anything. (y)  This is the culprit!!! (y)  I have since changed three of these for three of my friends that have avalanches and the CEL has not been back. Everyone kept telling them to change the gas cap but our trucks only have 70k on them. To sum it up if you get a P445 or P449 and CEL with tighten gas cap. You can take it to the bank it either one of two solenoids the one up front by the engine or the one by the gas tank has burned out. Parts guy said they keep them in stock Wink Wink so I think chevy knows about this defect. Looks to me that if you keep the truck long enough you will have to replace it because their is 12 volts applied to the solenoid while the truck is running to keep the solenoid closed because it is a normally open solenoid then when the truck is off it opens which seems the switch should be normally closed and have the ECM open it before and after a Run cycle instead of full on closed position while running. Chevy Dealerships wants to charge $99.00 Diagnostic fee and waive it if you have your truck fixed with them for a  $27.00 part. Which as you see at the begging of this thread "Dropped $100+ at the Dealership." When You can fix yourself for $27.00 and your own labor. If you can change a car Battery this task is just that easy.

Want to ask the GRIMREAPER1 where you found your part to go along with the EVAP canister change out so cheap? the one near the Manifold?

Well I get to do this repair today. After years of the idiot light being on and reset and on again,I am finally going for it. My part should be in today at 3pm so wish me luck. I hsve read so many posts that I know that purge is in the front and vent is in the back.I am replacing the vent one. I have to double check to make sure I have the right one when I get to the part store. $42 at Napa sound right? I have seen some people on here get thier parts for cheaper but 1 day waiting for the part to come from the warehouse aint bad.

Back