Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
04/23/14 05:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TPMS sensors removed - Disable or trick system?  (Read 11918 times)
jostertag

Awards
« on: 12/29/09 02:41 PM »

Hey Folks:

I just had new tires put on my 2007 4X4. They are the same size, just A/Ts instead of OEM. When the tire tech pulled off the old tires he showed me that the TPMS sensors had been previously damaged to the point that they could not be rebuilt. As a result I have 2 good sensors and 2 wheels with none. The DIC shows good readings on the 2 but the light is on indicating a problem with the other 2. Is there a way to trick the system in thinking that there are 4 or disable the system until I can get the 2 replaced on the next rotation?
Overdrive

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 12/30/09 06:30 AM »

I don't know if there is a way to remove the TPMS from the systems but if you find out then I'd like to know. I'll be replacing wheels/tires and don't want sensors.

07 Avalanche LTZ, Rancho lift (6/4), Ultra Grinders, Dunlop M/T Maxx, 275/70R18
04 Vette vert
06 Dodge Magnum RT
70 Firebird (resto project)
ltxi
CAFCNA 2014 Supporting Member

...tree art...

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 12/30/09 07:58 PM »

X2....please let us know. TPMS, as inaccurate as it is in my case is nice to have, but I'd really like to be able to kill it if it gets to be a pita.

2008 Z71 Avalanche LT3 4x4 4:10 Ebony/Black - Nelson tuned
ca2kjet

something secret steers us

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 12/30/09 08:17 PM »

AFAIK, disabling TPMS is illegal because it's a federally mandated safety feature. However, no idea about tricking the system.

Black on Black - 2007 Avalanche 4x4 LT3 Z71
Troublemaker
CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator

NY NY DC PA

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 12/30/09 09:22 PM »

If TPMS is required, then I must have gotten jipped when I had my new tires mounted and balanced.  They told me I didn't have TPMS sensors at all in my 05.

Click the pic to listen to along!
03whitediamond
CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member

Nothings finer than Carolina Blueskies!

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 12/31/09 04:09 AM »

Tire pressure monitoring systems began appearing on passenger cars and light trucks in the 2005 model year, this following a congressional mandate requiring them on all vehicles weighing less than 10,000 pounds, by the 2008 model year. GM pickups and SUVs fit into this weight category, including your beloved Avy, all highway passenger vehicles produced after 2008 for the American market are TPSM equiped to abide by this government mandate. http://www.tireindustry.org/pdf/TPMS_FinalRule_v3.pdf

Direct TPMS systems ( Each wheel has a transmitter- the sensor uses the valve stem as the actual antenne) vary by vehicle, each sensor is programmed to different values/signals so that the vehicle recognizes four different sensor locations, removing them during aftermarket wheel replacement may damage them beyond repair, be careful when dismounting/mounting tires so the tire bead or tire machine roller does not damage the sensor. Position the bead breaker 180 degrees across the wheel from where the valve stem is located. Using metal aftermarket valve stem caps can present issues as well, by interferring with transmitter signals.

Disabling the entire system can be problemmatic as well and on Onstar equiped Avy's, you may recieve unordinary amounts of messages and warnings. The security system, entry lighting, and key FOB function would be adversely affected. GM Direct TPMS systems used in Avalanches use radio signals to send communication links to the reciever. The wheel sensors signals are capable of  being read by the receiver upwards of three hundred feet, whether not there actually installed or not. The pressure sensor inside each wheel contains a small battery to power the sensor and transponder, these readings are monitored by the trucks computer and reported to Onstar. The batteries used in the system are long-life lithium batteries that "may" last upwards of 10 years. Eventually, though, the batteries will go dead. If a battery has died,  it's a good idea to replace all the TPMS transponders if the vehicle is more than six years old.

"Removing a wheel from a vehicle when doing brake or suspension repairs doesn't require any special procedures on TPMS equipped vehicles. Just remember to remount the wheel in the same location as before when you have finished the repairs. If you are rotating tires, or moving a wheel from one location to another, the TPMS system will have to be taught the new position of each sensor. This will require a scan tool or a special TPMS test/relearn tool."

Installing larger aftermarket size wheels and tires for off road use, or heavy duty load rated tires used by those towing campers, ie and trying to match ( tire pressure to load) may be presented their own unique set of problems with the direct TSMS system, your GM or equiped tire dealer may or may not be willing to help you overcome these. Good Luck....03WD

P.S.......if you want to "try"and trick the TPMS systems on your Avy, if you've removed a, part, or all the sensors and they are still working (sending signals)........put it/them inside of your spare tire and inflate accordingly. Disclaimer: Just remember, Your assuming the safety liabilities. :-)

« Last Edit: 12/31/09 04:58 AM by 03whitediamond » Logged

HELP OUT A YOUNGSTER WITH CANCER They're your future.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: