• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

NEED HELP ASAP!!!!!!!

02blueav66

Ok.. a picture is worth a thousand words!!  Can anyone tell me what happened and besides the obvious...  Is this a job i can do myself?

Attachments

• IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 179
Looks like a new slip yoke and universal joint at the very minimum, I'm sure there is a thread on u joint replacement. How did you do that?

:sucks:

I HAVENT THE SLIGHTEST CLUE!!!!!  I was sitting at the light near my house and I heard a loud pop.. then as i was driving it was vibrating really bad.. then when i made it home and was backing up into the driveway, it felt like the whole damn engine dropped.. but it was the shaft seperating and dropped. 

This is from the Transmission!

However, previously... when i was shifting from P to either R or D, there was a thump sound...

02blueav66 said:
I HAVENT THE SLIGHTEST CLUE!!!!!  I was sitting at the light near my house and I heard a loud pop.. then as i was driving it was vibrating really bad.. then when i made it home and was backing up into the driveway, it felt like the whole damn engine dropped.. but it was the shaft seperating and dropped. 

This is from the Transmission!

However, previously... when i was shifting from P to either R or D, there was a thump sound...
The broken end should just pull out from the back of the trans, find the thread on u joint replacement buy new slip yoke and u joint and long as the driveshaft itself is not damaged you maybe OK. Keep us updated  :B:

Had it been making a clunking noise before this.

TXSZ66AVLANCHE said:
The broken end should just pull out from the back of the trans, find the thread on u joint replacement buy new slip yoke and u joint and long as the driveshaft itself is not damaged you maybe OK. Keep us updated  :B:

Be aware that when you pull the slip joint out of the tranny, tranny fluid may run out.
If you can, leave the old one in until ready to install new one.
If you've never replaced ujoints before, you should be able to unbolt the drive shaft at the rear, then take the shaft to a mechanic or tranny shop to install the ujoints.
Just slides in at the front, then put the rear end of it up and bolt in place.

Yeah, if you've done U-joints before this shouldn't be hard. From the looks of that one leg at the top of the photo though it looks like it was running dry for awhile. Not surprised it failed like that but am that there wasn't much warning. Unless your Park to D or R clunk has been on going for awhile, in which case there was.

Great!!!!!  I was just trying to save some time and money if it's something i can do myself.. wasn't trying to be screwed by the dealer or a shady mechanic.  next question, does it have to be placed on a hoist or can i jack up the front end and then do the work?

Is it better to go buy the nickel plated or just replace it with another one?

Here is another angle! 

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 153
Make sure you block the wheels, needs to be high enough to get under near the rear.
I would jack up one side, then you can reach front and rear.
Again be sure to block the wheels, and use jack stands, don't crawl under if held up by the jack.

You really should consider replacing the rear U-joint while you're at it. That front one was gone.

Sorry about your bad luck there. That stain at the top of the photo on the floorpan is grease thats been coming out of the u-joint for a while. Gotta watch for that, reminds me to check mine too. Take the driveshaft to a good shop for the u-joint replacement, their epoxy glued in at the factory and you need a torch to melt the glue so they will come out. A big hammer is not enough alone on factory joints, good luck!

You might also want to think about heavy-duty replacements.  I don't know part numbers or anything, but I'm sure someone here will chime in.  Might be a good time for other upgrades while it's up and apart...

Where in the hell can i get the Yoke from???  I called Pep boys, Advance Auto, Autozone, and Napa...  Noone has the actual shaft!!!!!!  I was told to call the dealer!!!!  Should I just order it from the chevy parts site??

A dealer or a junkyard, maybe a transmission shop

Yes a transmission shop should have a used one. We kept items like that from old rebuilds and parts transmissions all the time at our shop cause you never knew when someone would need one.

Call your local dealer with the Vin number (or email GM partsdirect) and get the part number. I am a used car dealer and get dealer pricing, and send you the part....this should save you a little bit.

After reading through another sites posting.  I found this possible solution interesting!!  What do you guys think?

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=466157&page=5&highlight=racquetball

That is the first I heard of that, I sure would not do it.

:laugh:

Ok Folks... Here's the deal!!!  Had my baby towed to the repair shop and they charged me $370. for a new yoke, and both front and rear U-Joints.  Runs 100 times better now.. and it got rid of that god awful clunk when shifting from P to D or R.  LOVE IT!!!!!

(y) (y)

Glad you got it back on the road. Congrats on the bundle of joy.  (y) (y)

Actually the towing came to $69....  Yes ladies and gents  69!!!!  lOL  I just laughed when they told me how much it cost.  I followed them from the house to the auto shop.. making sure they took care of it. LOL

Back