• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

big 3 question

beans17

I'm debating if i should do the big 3 to my avy...Does it really make a significant difference or is it just a waste of time? if so how much wire should i need?

Do you have a stock AV, no large Alt or AMP ???

Larger wires won't help you alone, either a dual batteries or a bigger ALT.

Dual batteries... >:D bigger alt >:D >:D

Here is a part list to add dual batteries to your Av

RPO 8Y9

11516885 Screw, Clip, BAT CBL
15321207 Cable, AUX BAT NEG
12010050 Cover,BAT POS CBL TERM
15372006 Cable, AUX BAT POS
15246518 Batt Tray
14005061 Retainer
11516885 Clamp Bolt
15326073 Clip, Bat CBL
10246636 Batt Insulator

call ohio generators. they will let you know what alternator you need they include the bracket and belt. bolts right on. also find out the max amper the amp will draw to figure out the battery situation. 

Interesting I'm not sure about TXZ66 post but they will need a huge Alt from Ohio Alternators and 4 or 2 gauge wire

I'm with lowlife on this one.  Alt and batteries will only marginally help without upgraded grounds.  Personally I didn't want a second batter so I use a Odyssey PC1500 battery, it will outperform most factory dual battery setups IMO.

So if I do a dual alt kit from these guys
http://www.nationsstarteralternator.com/GM-Trucks-SUV-Dual-Alternator-Kit-with-250-Amp-p/gmdk-250.htm
is 250 enough? I also want to run dual batteries with an isolator to run lights and subs in future without touching the battery specifically used for engine. which batteries are best? right now i have stock alt and battery. will dual kits for batts and alts and then big 3 solve my electrical needs problems from here on out?

I did the big three before installing my amplifiers as a preparation.  Installing supporting mods before major mods is something I do.

I noticied things like brighter headlights and faster windows with the stock stereo.  Might work for you too.  If you're running an 1800 watt amplifer thats was 50% efficient it could be trying to pull 260 amperes at 13.8v.

Depending on what's going on with the truck I would imagine you have some voltage drop.  I would do a big 3 upgrade if I was or wasn't going to install an HO alternator which in your case I would also do.

There is no such thing as too big a wire... The better quality wire will cost more but will be smaller due to the higher quality wire. It will also have more strands in it which will make it easier to move around.

IASCA has a chart for how many watts you are running and how long the wire is. But realistically bigger the better.

Bigger Alternator is NOT required unless you have lots of speakers. Your battery needs to be good quality but nothing special and only one. The wires makes the difference. The second battery should only be added if you are going to play your music for extended periods of time with the engine off.

Thing is even if you have 1800 watts you are not going to use them at 1800 watts all the time. I had a 500 watt rated system with cheater amps. Which means it was over 2000 watts actual. I used 1/0 wire, factory alternator and factory battery. I ran my wires directly to the battery and it sounded pretty damned good. Lights didn't flicker or anything. The 1800 watt is max and you won't be maxed out for long periods of time so you should be fine. You can always upgrade the battery later and if the alternator doesn't keep it charged get a bigger one. A dual alternator is a waste of money. Just makes one more item that can break down.

Rodney

Back