Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
09/18/14 12:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help! No power steering when turning right  (Read 5635 times)
2004ava4x4

Awards
« on: 01/26/10 09:32 AM »

2004 chevy avalanche z71 4x4. 
Problem- when turning to only right at slow speeds(parking spot etc) I have no power steering.  Steering to the left I have no problems.  Any ideas?
thomsen05
CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 01/26/10 12:27 PM »

If your power steering is normal to the left and it goes away to the right, I think this indicates that the fluid pressure supply from the p/s pump is good and you may have a mechanical failure or blockage of fluid flow in the assist side of the steering gear. you will most likely need to disassemble the steering gear to look for debris in the fluid return passages or replace the steering gear altogether to correct this condition.

Chris

2002 avalanche pewter,4:10 gears, Superchipped 5.3ltr, 3" Ready lift level kit, Stainless steel diamond plate inserts, Amber drl's, K&N FIPK, MSD wires, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Nerf bars, Blue superbright puddles, fabtech steering stabilizer, altezza smoked tail lights 50W back up lights....to be added: strobes
ms38w

I AM the Scorpion

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: 01/26/10 12:33 PM »

sounds like a trip to the dealership Thumbs down  sorry

'02 1500 Z71, with a few mods...
408 Stroker, H2 rear end, 6-speed manual,side pipes, shorty headers,8-lug wheels, 1-ton T-case, custom drive shafts.
03whitediamond
CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member

Nothings finer than Carolina Blueskies!

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 01/26/10 01:49 PM »

An internal company bulletin shows that the Chevrolet Avalanche, Tahoe, Suburban and Silverado Classic; GMC Sierra Classic and Yukon; Cadillac Escalade; and Hummer H2 are at risk for the steering lock-ups. The problems affect various model years dating back to 1999.

GM's bulletin says the condition, which stems from a lack of pressure in the power steering system, can be aggravated by worn tires, low tire pressure and tires larger than stock size. For nondiesel engines, GM has told dealers that adding a pressure valve may help fix the problem. Vehicles that run on diesel engines cannot be fixed.

General Motors Corp. has told its technicians the problem occurs when customers apply the brakes and turn the wheel at the same time, which easily can happen as drivers try to park.

In November, however, a Wisconsin jury awarded $120,000 to a plumber who was often unable to steer his GMC pickup truck and was denied a refund or new vehicle after he complained. GM must pay an additional $259,000 in attorney's fees by Tuesday.

http://www.manufacturing.net/News-Some-GM-Vehicles-May-Lose-Power-Steering.aspx
« Last Edit: 01/26/10 01:51 PM by 03whitediamond » Logged

HELP OUT A YOUNGSTER WITH CANCER They're your future.
12VoltMan

How Bout Them Dawgs

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 02/06/10 04:26 PM »

I have come into this same issue lately, I have seen posts on this board and other GM boards mentioning replacing the "Power Steering Pump Flow Control Valve" but I cant find this part anywhere?

Anyone know where you can find this part?

Thanks
MS03 2500
CAFCNA 2014 Supporting Member

We shall never forget.

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 02/06/10 08:55 PM »

I have come into this same issue lately, I have seen posts on this board and other GM boards mentioning replacing the "Power Steering Pump Flow Control Valve" but I cant find this part anywhere?

Anyone know where you can find this part?

Thanks

Here ya go, keep in mind GM constantly changes P/N but last I knew this was it.

Link

2003 2500
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: