• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Any hunters here??

bigdaddyisu

Myself and a couple of guys are planning a trip out to WY for antelope this fall.  My stepdad is making all the arrangements for the trip.  I believe he's got a rancher lined up who has land in areas 50 and 51.

I'm an avid pheasant, small game and whitetail hunter but have never been out west or hunted antelope before.  My stepdad and our buddy have gone before so I'm sure I'll get plenty of info out of them before the hunt but I'm looking for any and all information I can get ahead of time.

Any tips (hunting or Wyoming related) or prep work I should be doing from now until then?  What do you guys think of the hunting in that area or in Wyoming in general?

Get a good pair of binoculars to make it easier to try to judge the horn size. Study as much as you can to learn how to judge horn size properly (if you want a trophy vs. just an animal). Obviously you'll need a flat shooting rifle as you may need to take long shots; it doesn't have to be a particularly large caliber. Get some good clothing that will stand up to the things that will stick you if you have to do some crawling during a stalk. And most of all, have some fun!  :wave:

Fun is the main objective of the hunt.

Thanks, I hadn't really thought about the crawling aspect, around where I whitetail hunt if I had to crawl for any length of time I'd need scubba gear.  As for the trophy aspect of it all, my trophy is spending time in the outdoors.  Of course I wouldn't turn down the opportunity to tag a bigger antelope than the other guys in my party. >:D

I've got a couple pairs of binoculars but I might look into upgading before the hunt.

Back