• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

07-electrics- pop/static from speakers, things quit working intermittently

navavaltz

Similar issues to "occasional beeps in radio" thread. 

I am seeking assistance FOR my current Dealership in resolving the following issue (s).  Please note: this is not a gripefest, I am listing the events to identify the order of issues, in the event that they are related.

Multiple Dealerships have not been able to resolve the problems, although the current one (Bartow Chevrolet, Bartow Florida) has been the best help. 

Vehicle: 07 LTZ, NAV, rear entertainment.

Issue(s) started at 435 miles on the odo, while driving listening to XM, all audio controls shut down:
Nav screen remained on
No sound
Onstar would not work
Back-up camera would not work
No turn signal sound
No door chime
Driveability appeared ok

After vehicle sat for approx 10-15 minutes, vehicle was restarted and everything seemed to operate. Dealer replaced headunit.

Then it got wierd.  The battery was dead one morning.  It was charged and things seemed ok... for about a week.

While driving (any road surface), at random, the speakers would emit a loud static / popping noise- like that of an electrical short.  The sound would quit, and many electronic functions would lock up (Nav, backup, sound).  After restart, conditions returned to normal.

When showing it to the Dealer the key was removed from the ignition and the audio continued to play- however it continued even after driver door was opened and closed.  Dealer replaced door lock latch.

Conditions reappeared. ( when stating "conditions reappeared", this means all the above PLUS those additionally mentioned )

This time after letting it set overnight, battery was dead.  Dealer did multiple firmware updates.

Conditions reappeared, remote start would not consistently operate.

Then the DVD would not restart after ignition on (had to eject the disc to get it to play)- dealer replaced rear screen. More firmware updates.

Conditions reappeared.

Then the A/C intermittently had different Dual-Zone temps.  Dealer replaced Actuator. More firmware updates.

Conditions reappeared.  Radio continues to play after key removal (and cycling drivers door), dead battery.

Then Check engine light appears.  I think they suggested a throttle body cleaning- plus firmware updates.- done

Conditions reappeared. A/C intermittently has different temps. 

I was told that condition of radio continuing to play without key in ignition  (and cycling all doors except driver) is normal operation.  This sounds ridiculous to me.  Try this:  with engine running, exit vehicle and close all doors.  Go to passenger side, open door and turn off ignition/remove key.  Radio will continue to play.  Open and close the door.  Radio will continue to play.  Is this normal operation?

Dealership replaced other actuator, found Primary Harness fuse holder loose/burned- replaced harness. 

Conditions reappeared. 

Dealership replaced amplifier, rear entertainment control head.

Conditions reappeared.

Now the vehicle is out of warranty.  Chevrolet has been called in on this, and they have helped offset some of the cost the Dealership is incurring, however the concern here is that the problems have never been corrected.  ( The check engine light is back on too )

If anyone has had any success with resolution of any of these issues, I would greatly appreciate any feedback that I can provide my Dealer. 

Thank you.

3 words Body Control Module.

Ok this little device can cause you many headaches but it makes all the neet little things our trucks do for us possible.  These devices are delicate and if they get any moisture, corrosion or even broken connection they will not do what they are supposed to do.  Here are my issues I have had with these modules.

2001 Olds Alero 2.4L
Keyless entry would work but no horn but lights would flash in lock only
radio would continue to play even if ALL doors would open.
interior lights would not turn off at all.
20 minute timer for the radio would not keep time properly sometimes  the radio would shut off after a minute or two sometimes not at all.

This was caused by some corrosion on the BCM which after it was cleaned off using a tooth brush and some alcohol all the problems above went away

2000 Chevy Camaro Z28 5.7L
Keyless entry would work only every now and then.
No interior lights from keyless entry but they worked with the doors.
radio would shut off when ever it wanted to.
door locks would not work from inside at times.

This was corrected by reflowing some solder joints that are notorious for breaking loose.

Today both cars have none of the issues that were described above and both function normally.  The firmware updates that you have been getting are going to the BCM, but a successful update does not mean that the BCM will still function correctly.  GM wants about $300-$500 for these modules.  They must be programmed to your truck and if you pull one out of a wrecking yard the truck you get it out of must have similar option groups as yours does or the module will not work correctly. 

The BCM can usually be found under the dash passenger side, it will have 3 connectors to it all three are different colors usually pink, gray and black.  The best way to get a new one is to pull yours and call your favorite GM dealer and have them order a new one based on your BCM part number.  Oh yea then have them reprogram it once it is reinstalled in the truck.  Your truck may be too happy trying to run with out the BCM, the BCM controls the security system of the truck as well.

Good luck with getting this all fixed.

Massey

Thanks for the info Massey.  I will advise the servicing Dealer of your post... hopefully it will assist.  I appreciate your time, and will post a follow up.

Well have you found anything out about your truck yet?  I am interested to see if this is the problem.

Massey

In response to the BCM: one of the modules was replaced at approx. 30k miles.  They stated that there are over 20 separate computers (24?) in this vehicle, and that there is not just one BCM.  Good info though, and I'm glad to hear that your issues were corrected with this fix.  This time the Dealer states that the Check Engine light (on again) is unrelated, and that it is part of the fuel delivery system.  Another throttle body cleaning, and 2500 miles later it's on again.  This time they state it is a check valve in the fuel system that is clogged.  Part replaced, and now at 2500 miles later (now 100k on the vehicle) the light has not come on. The pop noises in the stereo, with the systems locking up are still happening (two times in the last 5k).  I'll keep the post going, but it looks like if anyone else has similar issues, it will be a long road (no pun intended) to resolution.

I am beginning to wonder if your truck has been submerged before?  Maybe not in a flood but maybe a previous owner got in a little over the safe level of driving through water.

Massey

The vehicle was purchased new, although it had around 50 miles on the odo.  Never been off road, and I don't drive through puddles ( learned that lesson years ago ).  About the only possibility of water damage would be when they replaced the roof wing antenna ( thinking it was contributing to the nav locking up issue ) there was a leak that caused water to accumulate in the driver side rear floor area- they say it leaked down the b-pillar.  This was corrected, and has not reappeared.  Since my last post, the radio has shut off / locked up twice, and during a remote start sequence, the headlights would not come on.  The 'auto headlamp switch' was rotated several times, and then the driver seat moved all the way to the back- as if the 'easy exit' feature were selected.  Then the headlights came on.  I have identified this issue before with the dealer, and the answer was that those two circuits are completely unrelated, and this could not happen.  My advice to anyone with similar symptoms:  get Chevrolet corporate assistance immediately- forget letting the Dealer attempt to troubleshoot.  The Dealer(s) will only spend your time ( although with the best intent to correct ), and the issues will return.  Get another vehicle.    I'll return again to the dealer, and continue to post.

4/10/10-Battery completely dead.  Vehicle was in normal use... just went to start it and nothing.  Jump started and for the next week was able to start with no issue.  Then dead again.  Service scheduled.  Dealer stated battery requires replacement@ $207 ( with the 7 yr battery installed ).  Additionally found more codes stored ( they have found codes every time it was in service ), so another couple of days at the Dealership.  Apparently there is two TSB's that lists most of the issues.  It has to do with a harness in the headliner that might be pinched, and also a potential ignition switch ( not lock cylinder ) module.  The module was replaced, radio firmware was updated, and all steps listed in the harness TSB were performed. 

After picking up the vehicle three items are different: 1. The power pedals now work with the memory seat positions ( I never listed this as a complaint previously- it was not really an issue ).  2. When exiting the vehicle at night and arming the alarm via key fob, the interior lights go out immediately.  Previously, they would remain lit for a period of time, then fade out.  Now it is instant off.  Interesting...  3.  The charging gauge now fluctuates during driving from approx. 12-15 volts whereas before it remained steady at 14.  These items were not the result of any of the previous 20+ repair attempts.

Since I picked up the vehicle yesterday, I will put a few miles on it and report back on the progress.   

Note: as previously discussed the vehicle now has 101,800 miles on the odo.   Chevrolet has been supportive in the attempt to isolate and correct the issue(s) without charge  (other than for the normal wear items).  Some might argue that they have no legal obligation to do so after warranty; I am thankful that they are taking this seriously enough to see it through.  To me, this goes a long way in future purchasing decisions, and I'm sure that a few who read this post will also agree.  I am also impressed at the willingness of the servicing Dealer-Bartow Chevrolet in attempt to truly correct the issue.  As I have stated before,  its not what the issue is, its how the issue is handled.  They have earned my respect and my business.  I sure hope this was the fix.

If all goes well, the next post will close this thread.

I have a similar problem with the 'pop' in the speakers and a few others you mentioned.  I'm curious what the TSB's are that they found?  I might have to have my dealer look into this!  I'm out of warranty, but I'm hoping they'll cover it if its going to fix my issues.

New issue today I'm reasearching:  My turn signals are not making a sound when turned on, including 4 way flashers.  Everything else seems to be functioning properly, just the turn signals.  not sure what the heck is up there!  Still searching...

Unfortunately, the problems still exist.  Until Chevrolet finds the cause and can correct it, I will not be wasting your time posting any more.  Thanks to those who have commented.  This is totally opposite from what I am hearing from the Dealership, Chevy Technical, and our area rep-  They all state that they "have never heard of this before".  Perhaps not, however with the other threads here it is clear that this is not the first occurrence.  IF YOU ARE HAVING ANY OF THESE ELECTRICAL ISSUES, HAVE YOUR VEHICLE CHECKED AT YOUR DEALER.  I have had a burned wire ( and didn't even know about it- it was hidden in a loom ) and if these electrical issues are a safety concern, then GM needs to be made aware and it needs to be corrected. 

CntrySngr72;  I apologize that I do not have the TSB's, however there are many and and they are certainly pertinent to your issue- it's mostly about grounds.  As far as the turn signal; it plays through your speakers.  There is no 'relay' clicking sound- it's all electronic. Your Dealer can guide you, and hopefully they are cool enough to help.  This seems to be a very isolated issue, although the other posts ( search for "occasional beeps in the radio" ) indicate that we are not the only ones.  Best of luck.

"While driving (any road surface), at random, the speakers would emit a loud static / popping noise- like that of an electrical short"

I have this exact problem, never reported it to dealer, it does not lock anything, and started after dealer replaced battery under warranty....

Any help is appreciated

Happened again today...its been a while, but today I took a quick run over to a convenience store at lunch time.  Turned on my signal to pull in and no 'tick tick' signal sound as normal.  Parked it, turned off the AV and opened my drivers door - radio stayed on.  Closed the door, started back up, let it run, turned it off, the radio still stayed on.  So, I shut the power off on it and ran into the store.  Came back out, fired it up and everything was back to normal.

Getting ready to go on a trip tomorrow with the AV...seriously annoyed at this issue!

I too have an '07 now with 47K miles and have head the pop/crackle from the speakers maybe 3 or 4 time over the last year or 2.  It is strange how the nav screen still displays but the sound is gone.  I suspect that it is a ground problem, maybe with the bose amp?  Any further updates would be great.

7/16/2016:  No Fix.  It seems that this will follow the life of the AV.  Best truck I've ever had... currently @ 282,000 miles, and runs better, quicker, and smoother than when new.  The "static" sound still presents itself occasionally, and It would be nice to find a fix.  But for now, Its just part of the character of the vehicle.  As an interesting note, now when the static noise is heard, thats the only issue; all other problems that would occur at the same time have disappeared.  Did GM issue a software update to isolate them?  I am on the latest update, flashed in May of 2016. It is my understanding that there have been numerous updates since 2010.  If you have had similar issues with the electronics, I would have a discussion with your tech about a software update. 

Back