• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Where to start for more power......

get_lifted_z71

Hi All,

Well I just got back from a great weekend in Big Bear. Almost a foot of new snow came down. The AV with its new Terra Grapplers and 6k HID's worked great in the snow.

Here is my new question. During the drive up HWY 330 I found myself falling behind the lead vehicle and having to push the pedal down farther or downshifting to 3rd gear. Having just shelled out for new tires and lights, the money tree is a little light.

What are some low budget performance mods for my 07 stock Z71? I have thought of just a muffler swap to flowmaster 40 series and removing the resonator? I am also pondering a CAI but have often wondered if they are efficient under the hood where it is mostly hot air. What do computer programmers do? Any advice is welcomed.

What gears do you have? GM keeps putting in gears to save on fuel economy and make the truck feel like a dog. Intake and exhaust won't really help too much, just a little. A programmer does help as well, I have the Edge and really noticed a difference.

get_lifted_z71 If you do all three (intake,exhaust, and tune) you should notice an increase in power.
But the rear end gear question is a good one especially if you installed larger wheels and tires.

Ditto on the gear ratio question. For a cheap, decent CAI I'd suggest a Spectre @ somewhere around $105. After that, I'd suggest you look for a used Diablosport Predator programmer, which you should be able to pick up for around $200. Or you could get a custom tune, which you should find varies from $300-$400. The muffler won't give you a whole lot extra except noise so for me that would be last on the list. You could also consider a set of shorty headers.

to answer this question, take a look at the sticker in your glove box and match to one of these codes:

GT4      Rear axle, 3.73 ratio
GT5      Rear axle, 4.10 ratio
GU5      Rear axle, 3.23 ratio
GU6      Rear axle, 3.42 ratio

MyBigToy said:
Ditto on the gear ratio question. For a cheap, decent CAI I'd suggest a Spectre @ somewhere around $105. After that, I'd suggest you look for a used Diablosport Predator programmer, which you should be able to pick up for around $200. Or you could get a custom tune, which you should find varies from $300-$400. The muffler won't give you a whole lot extra except noise so for me that would be last on the list. You could also consider a set of shorty headers.

Is there a CAI Spectre for 07 and up ???  i havent seen one....if there is, where did you find it b/c I would like to get one

B Tech said:
Is there a CAI Spectre for 07 and up ???  i havent seen one....if there is, where did you find it b/c I would like to get one

I've got an 02 so no, I didn't look for one. I just assumed (and you know what happens when you do that!  :wave:) that they had one.

Check advance or autozone. Got me one from there for 140$. But I got a 04. Good luck

Check around at the dyno shops. They usually know a guy who wil custom tune your computer. I got it done for $75. Took an hr and a half. And he reprogrammed almost everything. Fuel/air mixture, Trans shifts and pressure, timing, ect.... Truck doesn't bog when i first get on it and have more power and better fuel mileage. 10x better than my hypertech.

Whats the better option for 33"x12.5" tires?  Power programmer or gears?  I have 3.73 now.

Back