Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Author Topic: New Members Say Hello & Post Here First  (Read 649660 times)

Snakepit

Re: New Members Say Hello & Post Here First
« Reply #4425 on: December 10, 2018, 18:59:05 PM »

Hey guys! New Avy owner here from Alberta, been through a few Fords the last few years but the best truck I've ever had was a '97 Sierra so wanted another older GM. Happy to say I picked up a dark blue '04 Avalanche fully loaded in amazing condition.

-Brandon

Edfort

• CAFCNA 2019 Premium Member
  • I love my BEAST
« Reply #4426 on: December 10, 2018, 20:15:18 PM »

Welcome.    How many miles on her
I'd rather push my Chevy  ,   than drive a foreign.

Snakepit

« Reply #4427 on: December 10, 2018, 20:39:57 PM »

Welcome.    How many miles on her

Thanks

317000 kms (so just under 200 000 miles I think?) but new transmission and transfer case, body and interior are in fantastic shape

Edfort

• I love my BEAST
« Reply #4428 on: December 10, 2018, 21:13:23 PM »

Cool.  Sounds. Nice.   Good luck.  They ride nice...   I have an  02.   2500.  45000 miles. She's perfect. Show room condition.  The only thing i did were stainless brake lines. Because they were the only thing on the truck with rust.  Hope you enjoy.
I'd rather push my Chevy  ,   than drive a foreign.

EXT4ME

• ... I saw a DEADHEAD sticker on a Cadillac ...
« Reply #4429 on: December 11, 2018, 06:56:39 AM »

:welcome: Snakepit
2004 Cadillac Escalade EXT, White Diamond, New Shale front seat leather from The Seat Shop. WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit. Powerflow Pro-Fit Splash Guards. Arnott/Bilstein front shocks and rear air shocks with Arnott air compressor kit. Refinish Restorer. SeaFoam. Goodyear (Now Continental) Gatorback belts. Goodyear Assurance CS TripleTred All-Seasons.

BlueWarthog

« Reply #4430 on: December 11, 2018, 09:26:29 AM »

:welcome: Snakepit  :B:
Chevrolet Avalanche Z71 - 2002

LoneWolfbd

• It's not over until the Wolf howls.
« Reply #4431 on: December 11, 2018, 09:45:40 AM »

:welcome: Snakepit to the club.

Brian
'04 SBM Z71, FT Amber DRL's, All 4 On High, Blue Curb Lights, Flowmaster 40, Bugflector II, BowTie Hitch Cover.

Snakepit

« Reply #4432 on: December 11, 2018, 17:50:33 PM »

Thnaks guys! Happy to be here

1BadM6

• The truck that rides like a car
« Reply #4433 on: December 11, 2018, 22:55:14 PM »

Ah yes, another forum newb post. Hi. My name is Dwight and I like driving things that are unique. Sure my friends laugh at me and tell me my Av is not a truck but I hauled 12' trim boards in it this week with the tailgate closed and completely covered! So that's what dash carpet is for? I hate the stuff but It came in handy to prevent scratching the dash. I'll bet none of their trucks can do that.

Little story, I'm a home inspector primarily but by request I was asked to do some remodeling last spring. Well, one thing led to another and now I'm incorporated and needed something bigger than my Rodeo Sport(Amigo) or the X5 to pull the trailer. On the list too was something with a bed, more storage but I didn't want a full size truck and needed something to haul 4x8 sheets of whatever. My last truck was a Superduty crew cab. It was over 22' long. Add a trailer to that and well, you know. The Av just fits my needs for the moment.

I was shopping for them in the Seattle area and prices are crazy. The cheap ones are beat so I looked in Cal, Texas, Nevada and even Idaho. I finally found an 03, no cladding(not a fan), Z71 with all of the doodads, 116,000 miles in victory red. A week ago yesterday I drove from Seattle...ish to Sandpoint, ID, checked out the truck, made an offer and drove home. It was about 13 hours round trip and the X5 is a great asphalt eater. Last Saturday I boarded the train in Everett and was dropped off in Sandpoint 9 1/2 hours later where the truck was waiting for the trip back home. It handled great and is very comfortable. That was a long ass day.

It's in decent condition but I noticed some rust bubbles in the metal behind the rear drivers wheel, somebody rattle canned the passenger doors, no body filler though and the rockers look like the original owner lived on a gravel road. Other than that there's only minor surface rust on the frame, the drivers seat has a tear(Surprise!), the BCM needs replacing and of course the typical plastic fade. The #3 bed cover panel has a bow in it, is this common? I figure I'll heat it up and try to flatten it. I've got Gumi Pfledge on order for all of the rubber seals and I will need to adjust the gate and bed cover panels to see if I can keep the bed dry. I almost forgot, the wheels are pretty roached and rust pitted. New ones on the way along with a 6" lift.

Looking forward to interacting with you all and making the Av more to my liking. It's already got a name too. It's Victory Red and all I could think of was She Devil. My only complaint about her so far is, why the hell are Bed Rugs no longer available? Ugh!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 22:58:00 PM by 1BadM6 »
I'll get to this later

BlueWarthog

« Reply #4434 on: December 11, 2018, 23:04:03 PM »

:welcome: 1BadM6  :B:

Vaeagleav

• The Avalanche just keeps getting better!
« Reply #4435 on: December 11, 2018, 23:26:22 PM »

welcome 1BadM6,
I wouldn't give up on a bedrug without contacting their customer service department. The may have a kit on a shelf somewhere or the plans on a computer and they could cut you one without too much effort. I know several years ago I bought a bedrug and also wanted some rug material to cover the floor of a bedslide device i also had, they sold me an unfinished roll of their carpet and I cut it to fit on my own without troubles and it has held up well.My guess is that since the AV hasn't been made in 5 years there isn't much demand for short bed rugs that fit just the AV or the EXT bed.
Before putting aftermarket products on your AV read some of the old posts dealing with issues you have. AS far as bed panel bowing, many members have noticed various degrees of bowing over time. For moisturizing the seal gaskets GM makes a special gasket lube. Other members have had to replace the gaskets or make adjustments to the panels. For treating the faded cladding there are many threads covering different techiques and products, many member like Refinish Restorer the best as lasting a long time if prepped properly. A sight member is also a distributor of the product.
http://www.therightcarstuff.com/
2008 Z71 Silver Birch 
2004 Z71 Silver Birch before that.

EXT4ME

« Reply #4436 on: December 12, 2018, 02:56:25 AM »

:welcome: 1BadM6
2004 Cadillac Escalade EXT, White Diamond, New Shale front seat leather from The Seat Shop. WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit. Powerflow Pro-Fit Splash Guards. Arnott/Bilstein front shocks and rear air shocks with Arnott air compressor kit. Refinish Restorer. SeaFoam. Goodyear (Now Continental) Gatorback belts. Goodyear Assurance CS TripleTred All-Seasons.

ygmn

• Administrator
  • Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .
« Reply #4437 on: December 12, 2018, 04:21:50 AM »

The #3 bed cover panel has a bow in it, is this common? I figure I'll heat it up and try to flatten it. I've got Gumi Pfledge on order for all of the rubber seals and I will need to adjust the gate and bed cover panels to see if I can keep the bed dry. ....

USe stright edge to confirm as tail gate is bowed with crown up so makes #3 panel looked bowed down.

Heat will not unwarp it due to composite construction and internals I think if I remember right are some aluminum matrix....

Great first post and good luck
Remember check out all the sections to help with any questions youhave or just add to what we have...

PS avy makes a great construction vehicle due to bed and midgate and like you learned hauling long trim boards in the rain with tailgate up
Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

1BadM6

« Reply #4438 on: December 17, 2018, 15:58:00 PM »

:welcome: 1BadM6

Thanks for the reply. I noticed BedRug does make a generic and with just two rolls I could cover everything. I had this stuff in my Superduty and loved it. I did some adjustments to bed covers and tailgate. It rained like crazy last week and I found minimal moisture in the bed. I have used Gumi Pfledge on my BMW's for decades and it actually works. It restores oils into the rubber and they will swell back up a little. I ordered Solution Finish which is a black plastic finish restorer. I did a test panel in the cold and right before it rained. It looked like new until the next morning after heavy rains and it had lightened just a bit. It never had time to completely dry. Sometimes I hate living in Washington. By sometimes I mean 8 months out of the year.
I'll get to this later

1BadM6

« Reply #4439 on: December 17, 2018, 16:01:47 PM »

USe stright edge to confirm as tail gate is bowed with crown up so makes #3 panel looked bowed down.

Heat will not unwarp it due to composite construction and internals I think if I remember right are some aluminum matrix....

Great first post and good luck
Remember check out all the sections to help with any questions youhave or just add to what we have...

PS avy makes a great construction vehicle due to bed and midgate and like you learned hauling long trim boards in the rain with tailgate up

Confirmed, it is warped, sagging. I pulled the panel and tried to put some body weight onto it with poor results. I wasn't sure what the composition was so thanks for the tip. I'm going to need more than my body weight to flatten this thing.
I'll get to this later

Motor7

• I love the Chevy Avalanche
« Reply #4440 on: December 18, 2018, 05:11:05 AM »

Hi, nice site y'all have here. Bought a 2002 on Friday with 86,000 miles on it from a Chevy dealer in East Tennessee. It's fully loaded including leather and sunroof and yes it is a one owner so I paid way more for it than I would have for any of the other two dozen or so within my target radius.....$10K. Frame surface rust here and there, no body damage anywhere....heck even the headlight and fog light covers are clear.

So, during the negotiations I gave them heck for not fixing the "spongy crappy brakes" and later found this site which explains that they came from the factory that way :4: I could not abide by the bad brakes, so yesterday after reading the '07 Tahoe brake upgrade thread I spent over $400 on new lines, pads, calipers, brackets, fluid and rotors....this place is dangerous to the wallet :cool:

Now, I did make a wrong assumption about a whine in the drive train on the test drive. I thought it might be a wheel bearing or U-joints, but yesterday our local Mech listened to it and said.....pinion :E: It's not very loud, so I dumped the fluid(mine had a drain plug :A:) and there is zero and I mean NO metal in the pumpkin. I pulled the driveshaft and am installing new Spicer U-joints today, Maybe it just the seal that's making the soft whirring sound or one of the U-joints....one can always 'hope' right?

I was originally looking at Tahoe's and 'burbs, but the versatility of the AV always peaked my interest. I also had no idea they hold their value almost as good as the Wranglers....

2002 1500 Z71

BlueWarthog

« Reply #4441 on: December 18, 2018, 09:30:28 AM »

:welcome: Motor7  :B:

EXT4ME

« Reply #4442 on: December 18, 2018, 13:45:47 PM »

:welcome: Motor7

HERO546

• 2004 Avalanche Owner
« Reply #4443 on: December 27, 2018, 11:27:58 AM »

:wave: Hello Im a HERO Operator with the State of Georgia and I have owned an Avalanche since 2013. Love my Truck. Im in the process of trying to restore a lot of stuff and keep it going. Im over 200,000 miles on it and it is still running great.  :B:
HERO 546

EXT4ME

« Reply #4444 on: December 27, 2018, 11:41:58 AM »

:welcome: HERO546

wgregs

• I love the Chevy Avalanche
« Reply #4445 on: December 28, 2018, 16:47:24 PM »

New Ava owner.
My 1st one. Its a 2005 with 180000 on it.
Got it for $4000. No rust. no leaks. small bump in the front end don't know if it's steering or what once in a while.
Also broken plastic frame on midgate window on drivers side.
But it's not leaking. Rear deforst wires are broke at the solder joint on both sides.
Also oil pressure jumps to max when you start it and stays there.

Well that's it for now.
Oh, Hello everyone.
2005 Avalanche Z66 de-badged.
Air Horns

MS03 2500

• CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member
« Reply #4446 on: December 28, 2018, 21:26:24 PM »

:welcome: to the club wgregs
2003 2500

EXT4ME

« Reply #4447 on: December 29, 2018, 08:44:11 AM »

:welcome: wgregs

NorthFaceStruggle

« Reply #4448 on: January 2, 2019, 07:17:08 AM »

Hello everyone!!!!

I bought my 1t Avalanche in November.  I pickup a 2003 North Face with only 140K on the clock.  It is not perfect and needs some work but nothing that wont be fun to work on and learn about my new truck.  I have been reading to forums for awhile learning about the trucks a much as possible before I made the purchase and now here I am.  I am looking forward to learning more and being apart of the community. 

EXT4ME

« Reply #4449 on: January 2, 2019, 11:02:24 AM »

:welcome: NorthFaceStruggle

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 23 queries.