• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Dee Zee EZ Down Tailgate Assist

08 AV Z71

Has anyone looked into the Dee Zee EZ Down Tailgate Assist system?  As we all know the tailgates on our Avalanches are rather heavy and come down fast.  My kids can't open it safely and wife needs both hands to keep it from slamming down.  I looked at the EZ Down system and think it's a great idea, but they do not offer it for the Avalanche????  They offer it for the Silverado.  Anyone ave an 08 Silverado and Avalanche to compare with?
My thought is that it is due to a weight difference.  Thinking of buying two and doing it on both sides. 

Here is the link to the demonstration video for those who have not seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3Wbjx90j48

The best price I have found was at JEGS.com (http://www.jegs.com/p/Dee-Zee/Dee-Zee-Easy-Down/793535/12051/-1)

Any experience or thoughts on this topic would be appreciated.  Some of the reviews are that they are cheap and break, but I found more that were favorable and it looks like a great safety feature with kids.

Try this one instead:

http://www.truckcustomizers.com/products/hoppy-easylift-tailgate-lift.html

I'm not endorsing the website, only the product so you can do your own Google search to find the best price. I know quite a few people who have this product and it works great.

I have one it  floats down. (y)

MyBigToy said:
Try this one instead:

http://www.truckcustomizers.com/products/hoppy-easylift-tailgate-lift.html

I'm not endorsing the website, only the product so you can do your own Google search to find the best price. I know quite a few people who have this product and it works great.

We have this too and it works great. The tailgate does "float down". (y) (y)

Gee...the prices have gone up...used to be about $14 a year ago

Here is a slightly better price

http://www.autobarn.net/tailgate-easylift.html

I realize that it's 11 pages long...

But...THIS THREAD discusses BOTH mods towards the end and extensively the Hoppy mod and install...good reading... (y)

I have both, the only problem is if the tailgate pops open by mistake you won't know. So you may consider putting some type of alarm on it. It happened twice security at work had called me. After I made some adjustment it stopped.

I have one and it works great!  Use thread lock on the torx bolt that attaches the shock to the tailgate.  Mine seemed to come loose after a few up and downs.

omlifecrew said:
I have one and it works great!  Use thread lock on the torx bolt that attaches the shock to the tailgate.  Mine seemed to come loose after a few up and downs.

do you have the Dee Zee EZ Down Tailgate Assist system? Did you use the one for the Silverado?

LK

I appreciate the responses, but want to clarify something.  I have a 2008 Avalanche and the links above reference pre 2007 models.

If the torsion bar is on the 2007 and newer models, I think it assists only with the load upon closing. 

Looking for a solution for the tailgates weight coming down and smacking one of my kids.  Not that they probably don't deserve one now and then :beating:

i have one on mine!!!!!!!!!
07-08 silverado is a direct bolt on, you need to make a slight mod to the shock by lengthing it 5/8 of an inch.

you see in the picture where it's rusted, i cut it off there and welded a piece of stock 5/8 long to make it longer.
have been using it since october without a problem, real easy mod.

Attachments

• 100_1592 (Medium).JPG
    100_1592 (Medium).JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,120
I have the Dee Zee too and it works extremely well... I've had it on there for three years and forgot about it actually till this thread because I'm so used to it floating down now I can't remember back when it used to slam down and crack you in the knee  :beating:

Yes sir I was at a GTG and a member had the EZ lift bar, I thought it would not slam down well lets say I pulled it open and let go out. Opppps  :rolleyes: 

Well the 02 is cladded you may have to straighten out the lower part. Just get a torch and hit it with a hammer.

323fever said:
I want the shock, i have a 2002 avalanche do i buy the one for the silverado
Yes just buy the one for the Silverado. You may have to flatten the plate that mounts to the tailgate some so the nut will clear the body of the AV when you are closing it. At least I had to on my 2004 AV. Here is a shot of the bracket on the tailgate.

Attachments

• IMG_0002 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0002 (Small).JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,099
Yep it will rub the cladding on the bumper if you don't. (y)

Update:

So I went ahead and purchased the EZ Down made for the Silverado and as biggmachz had noted, it is 5/8" shorter that it should be.
This does not affect it's overall performance.  It does exactly what I want by safely lowering the tailgate instead of slamming down.
It does not allow the safety cables to assume all of the weight when fully opened.  Probably not a major issue unless you are loading the tailgate itself.
I will find someone to weld on the extra length or modify it in some way to allow the cables to accept the weight.
Overall, very happy with the product.

You will love it, just pull it open and let it float down. (y)

Finally installed the EZ Down.
Would not lay flat without the modification (adding approx. 5/8") to the end.
I chose to have the tailgate end added.  Had a longer tongue added and drilled a new hole.
Works fantastic!  Lays flat.  No pinching or binding.  Great addition!

I thought you would like it. >:D

I have this for my Nissan Frontier and love it.  I took it off since Im selling and see if it would fit on my Avy.  It probably would of I drilled a new hole on the bracket so it fit on the tailgate.  My Nissan tailgate was about 3 times as heavy as the Chevy's, so the AVy one is light in comparison.  But defintly nice to stop the slamming down.

I wonder if I should just drill a new hole in the bracket, the lenght of the shock is fine

Ordered one for the Sierra and see.  I have a friend who is a welder so if I have to add a little length to it Im sure he can help with that.  This is one small option I miss from my Nissan that I added.  While the Avy tailgate isnt heavy, you still have to hold it to lower it.

You would think Dee Zee would just make this for the Avalanche, the need is out there.

Came to about $50, just waiitng for it to come in

Back