• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

XM won't Refresh?

paulsfd

Hey guys...new here.  Just got a 2008 Z71 with Nav (LOVE the truck so far!)  I signed up for XM and tuned to the preview channel to register the unit.  I know with my past hand-held units, this process should take all of 10-15 minutes to complete.  Well, I have tried 5 times now (both via XM refresh and on the phone with XM--whose tech support is a joke), but nothing works.  All I get are the preview channel, the emergency channel and the channel with my radios' code--the preview channel and emergency channel are loud and clear.  Each time I have had a perfectly clear shot at the sky.  I even left the truck running for an hour to see if it would work   :E:

Any ideas or is this something the dealer may be able to help with????  Thanks guys!!!

paulsfd said:
Hey guys...new here.  Just got a 2008 Z71 with Nav (LOVE the truck so far!)  I signed up for XM and tuned to the preview channel to register the unit.  I know with my past hand-held units, this process should take all of 10-15 minutes to complete.  Well, I have tried 5 times now (both via XM refresh and on the phone with XM--whose tech support is a joke), but nothing works.  All I get are the preview channel, the emergency channel and the channel with my radios' code--the preview channel and emergency channel are loud and clear.  Each time I have had a perfectly clear shot at the sky.  I even left the truck running for an hour to see if it would work   :E:

Any ideas or is this something the dealer may be able to help with????  Thanks guys!!!

If you are getting audio on the channels that you mentioned, it couldn't be an antenna problem...they told me it should take 20 minutes or less to get going...they also told me it had to be on the preview channel while the signal is being sent.

I spent 40 minutes on the phone with XM--actually got someone with a little knowledge too.  Looks like it could be the XM receiver on the Nav unit took a dump.  Looks like a trip back to the dealer  (n)

The XM receiver is a separate module , it's not part of the Nav.

Since its separate, would it be a good guess to say its not too hard for them to swap it out?

Nope not hard at all, they just have to program the replacement.

maybe it's something stupid like they forgot to delete it from previous owner's account  ??? 

If it's already registered,... I swapped from '02 to an employee driven loaded '04 and they were confused at both OnStar & XM, both had to give me a free year but both were already on in some other guy's name. It's been 6 years now but I remember getting put on hold and transferred around until they found someone that knew what they were doing.

Flint4x4 said:
It's been 6 years now but I remember getting put on hold and transferred around until they found someone that knew what they were doing.
Yeah, I dealt with some real boxes of rocks at XM over this!  As a side note; my new AV was a lease return.  Well the guy who had it before me left all his info in the Nav unit i.e. Name, home address and phone #, work address and phone #.  Unreal in this day and age!!!!!

Back