Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
10/31/14 04:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP PLEASE!!! Lugnut Torque Specs  (Read 8444 times)
07HrlyHlr

HE'S BACK!!!

Awards
« on: 04/03/10 04:52 PM »

Does anyone know what the lugnuts are supposed to be torque'd to on a 2005 Z71 with the 17inch wheels? I cant find my manual  Roll Eyes

Mods can move this to the appropriate place also! Sorry I couldnt figure out which one it was!  banghead
« Last Edit: 04/03/10 05:05 PM by 05HrlyHlr » Logged

2007 Burnt Orange LT...No mods yet...

Had to sell her and some a$$hole trashed her! 2005 Z71 4x4 10 or so mods and LOTS of paint matching! Clear headlights, Harley Davidson emblems chrome Avalanche on rear and chrome tailgate handle chrome bow tie and of course You cant lose with 22's!
ms38w

I AM the Scorpion

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: 04/03/10 05:33 PM »

I tighten until I hear it ccrreeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkk!

'02 1500 Z71, with a few mods...
408 Stroker, H2 rear end, 6-speed manual,side pipes, shorty headers,8-lug wheels, 1-ton T-case, custom drive shafts.
TXSZ66AVLANCHE

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 04/03/10 05:41 PM »

I tighten with my Craftsman impact... Thumbs up!

2003 Suburban-GMT900 Brakes, BB Tuned, Dual Batteries, DL3 Mirrors , E-Fans, Eibach Sway Bars
2003 Silverado- Ranch Hand Push Bars, Work Horse and guinea pig
2004 Avalanche- LS1 5.7, GMT900 Brakes, BB tuned, Efans, Leveled, Dual Batteries, Painted Door Handles, Detroit TrueTrac, Eibach Sway Bars
2005 Silverado RCSB- Currently Stock
1995 S10- Race Truck In Progress!

MS03 2500
CAFCNA 2014 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 04/03/10 05:43 PM »

140 LB FT

2003 2500
MooseAlanche
CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member

The Moose Is On The Loose

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 04/03/10 06:05 PM »

I tighten until I hear it ccrreeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkk!
I'm a creeker too  Cheesy

Pete
05 Black Avalanche 5.3L, Z71, Cladded, Chrome Brush Bar, Speed Grille, SS Nerf Bars, Fire & Ice Tailgate LED, Lund Bug Shield, Putco Tailgate Handle Cover, K&N #77 Cold Air Intake, PowerAid TBS, MagnaFlow SS CatBack. Since Joining CAFC: Amber FTDRL, LED Sail Panel Lights, Amber LED Grille Lights, Door Pocket LED's, Mag Lite, 3rd Brake & Tailgate Decals, Cargo Light, Billet Gas Door, Tailgate Cup Holders, Backup Cam, I Pod2car, WoLo Horn, PlasmaGlow Xeon Bulbs, Window Tint, Tailgate E-Z Up, HyperTech
ms38w

I AM the Scorpion

WWW Awards
« Reply #5 on: 04/03/10 06:12 PM »

that's the way I was taught. Thumbs up!

'02 1500 Z71, with a few mods...
408 Stroker, H2 rear end, 6-speed manual,side pipes, shorty headers,8-lug wheels, 1-ton T-case, custom drive shafts.
07HrlyHlr

HE'S BACK!!!

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 04/03/10 10:12 PM »

I figured that, but they way overtightened them this last time after I got my new tires and took them in after 75 miles to get them looked at and they odid it again as I found out today when I was trying to break them lose! Long story short I do not want to overtighten them so that is why I was asking! Thanks for the repsonses! Now to put the tiresback on tomorrow....!

Had to sell her and some a$$hole trashed her! 2005 Z71 4x4 10 or so mods and LOTS of paint matching! Clear headlights, Harley Davidson emblems chrome Avalanche on rear and chrome tailgate handle chrome bow tie and of course You cant lose with 22's!
marzahld

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 04/03/10 10:25 PM »

I'm no expert, but I keep a collapsible two handed tire iron in the truck at all times and it works well for tightening and removal...  I recommend getting one and keeping it under the back seat as its better than the stock avy tool...    Some say overtightening can warp the rotors, but unless you are a an olympic weight lifter your judgement is probably good...

2003 Avalanche Z71  Arrival Blue
07HrlyHlr

HE'S BACK!!!

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 04/04/10 08:12 AM »

I'm no expert, but I keep a collapsible two handed tire iron in the truck at all times and it works well for tightening and removal...  I recommend getting one and keeping it under the back seat as its better than the stock avy tool...    Some say overtightening can warp the rotors, but unless you are a an olympic weight lifter your judgement is probably good...

Yea I have the Tire Iron! I am using that I had to get a huge breaker bar to get them lose though! Well I am not an olympic lifter I used to power lift and am going to start coaching power lifting for th Special Olympics here soon! I think that still qualifies me under the judgement catagory however!  Big laughter with tears

grnxnam
CAFCNA 2006 Supporting Member

Pastafarian

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 04/04/10 08:45 AM »

tighten it until it breaks...then back it off 1/4 turn.

yeah, I know...    Beating

Jesus wasn't white, so why does he look like Kid Rock on a cross?"
ramonday

Awards
« Reply #10 on: 04/04/10 03:00 PM »

Heh, guess I'm pretty strong. I've twisted wheel studs off many a time tightening lugs. In my opinion, 140ft lbs is waaaaaay too much, but it is what GM states. I put mine on at 100ft lbs and have never had any rotor problems or any more twisted tire studs. I've heard over and undertightening can warp rotors. I promise I'll never twist another wheel stud, though.  Thumbs up!
« Last Edit: 04/04/10 03:01 PM by ramonday » Logged

2004 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD LLY Duramax w/LBZ mouthpiece. Yes, I sold my Avalanche, but it will be cherished forever!
07HrlyHlr

HE'S BACK!!!

Awards
« Reply #11 on: 04/04/10 08:52 PM »

I did the 14o they will be off again by the end of the week anyways..... I mean no they wont.......... Huh

marzahld

Awards
« Reply #12 on: 04/04/10 09:47 PM »

I'm pretty sure mine are on in the neighborhood of 100 also...  I tighten them the same as the lug bolts on my trailer (which the dealer recommended be set at a measly 65 ft lbs-- I found this to be wrong when I lost a wheel going down the road)...  Now all my lug nuts/bolts get around 100... I definitely could put more torque on them if I wanted to but I use arm strength only (i.e. don't put all your weight on the tire iron)... Maybe this isn't a great idea if you are a body builder, but it works for me... 
I once had a friend try to tighten them more behind me with a torque wrench and they did not move until it was set >100... 

If the tire iron didn't work and you needed a long breaker bar to get them free, I'd say they were at 200+

Alaska_AV.
CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator

living the cold life

WWW Awards
« Reply #13 on: 04/04/10 10:11 PM »

I do 120 when I tq wheels unless non stock then I do 120

First you'll lose your mind
and then any free cash laying around
Then mods will bloat your credit limits
You'll be like a crack addict, refinancing your home..
You'll cry yourself to sleep,stuff like, must get new rims.
Important questions like, polished or chrome. will shadow you daily

I'm Jon, and my Wife is an Avalanche widow..
Nationals 2007 and 2008 good times

http://alaskaav.mybru
07HrlyHlr

HE'S BACK!!!

Awards
« Reply #14 on: 04/05/10 06:44 AM »

I do 120 when I tq wheels unless non stock then I do 120

So what your saying is you do 120 lol!

cadboy1
CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #15 on: 04/05/10 06:52 AM »

My olds is 100 ft lbs and AV 140 ft lbs. I use an inexpensive torque I keep in the truck  love

04 AV 2500
01 Olds Aurora 4.0
07 Trailblazer SS AWD
ltxi

...tree art...

Awards
« Reply #16 on: 04/05/10 05:36 PM »

I'm 67 years old. I tighten conical lug nuts until they feel tight. Hasn't let me down yet.

2008 Z71 Avalanche LT3 4x4 4:10 Ebony/Black - Nelson tuned
07HrlyHlr

HE'S BACK!!!

Awards
« Reply #17 on: 04/05/10 05:53 PM »

I'm 67 years old. I tighten conical lug nuts until they feel tight. Hasn't let me down yet.

You got a bit more practice then me  Cheesy like over double Cool!  Thumbs up! :thumbsup:I have nothing against this method at all and have always used it until now! I guess it has to do with 2 things wanting to make sure I am being extra cautious with the baby on board and doing what I can to prevent things from going wrong on my truck as I plan to keep thing one around a looooonnnnng while!

ltxi

...tree art...

Awards
« Reply #18 on: 04/05/10 06:04 PM »

Yeah, haha, it's feel thing with me. Maybe also has to do with being an old, modified racing wrench. Would not even think about not using a torque wrench on anything important given to change,  but lug nuts and plugs are still just done by feel.

07HrlyHlr

HE'S BACK!!!

Awards
« Reply #19 on: 04/05/10 06:19 PM »

Funniest thing about it was my neighbor brings over his torque wrench and says have you ever used one of these before and I said no and he looked at me like I was crazy! I said he!! when it is tight it is tight! Now that I think about it I have been wanting to do the big brake mod hmmm maybe if I wreck my rotors then my wife will have to let me get new ones and while I am at it might as well do the big brake mod!!!!
Ha ha ha ha riiiiiiight!

marzahld

Awards
« Reply #20 on: 04/05/10 10:54 PM »

Torque specs are only an approximation... Even when you use a torque wrench you are just getting *close*...  There is a working range where a bolt will not come loose and cause problems and not be too tight and either strip out or cause warping of rotors, bearings to be preloaded, etc...   If you are in this range, you are good to go... 

That being said, I have some advice for the people who want to hear it creaking...  and this does not necessarily apply to avy lug nuts, but all nuts/bolts in general...  Always pay attention to the grade of bolt you are tightening, what its made out of and what its holding down (i.e. steel, aluminum)...   Aluminum threads can strip very easily... don't ask me why I know this  banghead

ltxi

...tree art...

Awards
« Reply #21 on: 04/06/10 03:34 PM »

That being said, I have some advice for the people who want to hear it creaking...  and this does not necessarily apply to avy lug nuts, but all nuts/bolts in general...  Always pay attention to the grade of bolt you are tightening, what its made out of and what its holding down (i.e. steel, aluminum)...   Aluminum threads can strip very easily... don't ask me why I know this  banghead

excellent advice

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: