• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Shocks

jjwvu

Anyone replace their shocks yet? My 08 AV has 86000 miles and the front shocks seem a little springy. Is this a hard job? Where to buy the shocks? Any hints, tips or advice is appreciated.

I just replaced mine on an 05,, I have around 52,000 miles or so,,,I went with the factory brand,, Blisten's,,,,good for me

I just replaced my front and rear shocks at 74600. I put KYB's on my Avalanche. I live in Philly and the city streets can be pretty rough sometimes. The old ones weren't worn out, but they were worn.I can definitely feel the difference.

badinc1 said:
Has anybody tried or run the Edelbrock shocks ?
I've heard that they are really good shocks also.
Bobby.

I used the Edelbrock IAS shock on all 4 corners.  They rode real nice and smooth.  Mine didn't last 50,000 so that was disappointing to me.  and towards the end they made a suction noise every time I drove over a speed bump in a parking lot. 
When I replaced them, I went with Rancho's RS5000, and they ride just as nice.

On an 08 Avalanche you have coil over type shocks on the front. They are hard to find and even harder to install. Have to remove the control arms and all. I would not attempt this unless I knew what I was doing. Best to take it in and have it done. I ordered the Edelbrock IAS and the front ones were the wrong application. So make sure you know what you are getting. I had to send mine back and get a refund. Ended up getting stock shocks and having them installed. Was pretty expensive. Around $450.00.

jjwvu said:
Anyone replace their shocks yet? My 08 AV has 86000 miles and the front shocks seem a little springy. Is this a hard job? Where to buy the shocks? Any hints, tips or advice is appreciated.

Getting ready to replace mine.  I've got 132,000 miles on original Bilsteins my my 2002 AV.  Getting mushy but this weekend will have new Rancho 5000's put on.

I have a 2004 Z71 with 64000 miles.  I tow a 5600lb trailor.  I have noticed that the AV is riding pretty spongey when not towing the trailor and with the trailor hitched up using an equalizer hitch, it now sags in the back and I cannot really get a good level between trailor and truck.  This was not the case when the truck was new.  I am thinking of installing air shocks to help remedy this issue.  But, my question is,  do I have a shock problem or our my springs getting soft on me?

WOW......new to this site and loving it already.  I see that the gentleman with the 04 Avalanche is having the same Towing problem I am.  Has a solution been posted?  Thanks!

There are lots of threads on this issue. I just installed air bags inside the rear coils. Makes a difference, but on older units, new shocks never hurt either. Search for air bags, you will find lots of info.

jrjordan1965 said:
Getting ready to replace mine.  I've got 132,000 miles on original Bilsteins my my 2002 AV.  Getting mushy but this weekend will have new Rancho 5000's put on.

I thought I needed new shocks ordered 4 rancho 5000 when I replaced the Bilsteins they seemed new (at 160,000) they have more pressure than the new ranchos going to drive it a few days I may put the original shocks back on the Ranchos had like ZERO rebound compared to teh stocks I took off Stock shocks had no leaks and were still very hard to compress???

SWATbwana said:
I thought I needed new shocks ordered 4 rancho 5000 when I replaced the Bilsteins they seemed new (at 160,000) they have more pressure than the new ranchos going to drive it a few days I may put the original shocks back on the Ranchos had like ZERO rebound compared to teh stocks I took off Stock shocks had no leaks and were still very hard to compress???

If the Rancho shocks are twin tube, they will not require the same force to compress by hand when comparing to a high-pressure monotube like the Bilsteins. 
A worn out monotube will feel essentially the same as a new monotube so long as it is still properly pressurized.  Shocks don't generally go bad by leaking. They go bad when the piston seal wears out and allows oil to flow past.  You won't feel that in a monotube like you can in a twintube.

btw, Bilstein will re-manufacture dampers http://www.bilsteinus.com/services.php

when do you know its time to replace your shocks?  i dont seem to go over holes, bumps hard but the shocks look worn.  Possible after only 45Kmi?

wow!!! were did my message go. so i said before the smiley. if you go over a speed bump at an angle and u get jerked around in you truck then u probably need new shocks..

Shock test =

on level ground
Push down on one corner with all your weight... (stand on rear corner of bumper works)
Then quickly release this weight... (Jump off bumper)

Truck should rebound up to a stop with oscillating like a spring....

or when you go over bumps at slow speed truck should move to a stop and not bounce like spring...

YGMN,
whats it tellin' you if you cant push down on the front end and your ride is harsh ?
2011 z55 (no codes set)

thanks, ROGER

You do not weight enough to push down on front. or shock is FROZEN

Remember truck axle is rated for a lot of weight and is not a car so you may not have enough force to push down the front. Pushing down on the front is subject to the suspensions SPRING force holding truck up and spring rate.

I suggest riding along... find small bump- normal bump... drive over bump...
Does truck bounce and continue to go up and down like a bouncing ball after bump? you need shocks.

Does it not move at all? Check for locked up shock or other broken suspension part.

Does it bottom out very easy and comes to quick stop - check for weak tired spring...

Remember springs last a long time and are hard to know when they get weak.  What wears them out is CYCLE count and distance moved (be it torsional or compression)

You complain of a harsh ride... did it ever ride not HARSH?

Maybe this is how the truck rides.

What tires do you have? how much pressure?
THis has huge impact in making harsh ride....

Where ya live?
Maybe another member nearby can drive yours and you drive his to compare.... might be normal...

Ride is HARSH is subjective and hard to measure.
You should find someone who has similar truck and drive theirs to compare or try a good dealership.

Back