Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
12/18/14 06:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Today we will replace my Fuel pump 02 (Updated with pictures)  (Read 12208 times)
paul white

Awards
« Reply #25 on: 07/11/10 02:07 PM »

I just cut my floor out!  yeh it seems like the wrong thing to do but  man what a relief it was to see that the pump and lines are right where theese guys (anybody who's done it) say it is!  I feel like I just saved mega dollars at the dealership for not dropping the tank!  I used air sheers to cut my hole, so it took about 5 minutes to drill two small holes to fit the end of the sheer in and away they went.  nice hole with no sparks to contend with!  I will rivet aluminum to the underside of each side of the hole so the flap that I bent up sits down on it.  Then put a couple of zip screws through the plate and into the aluminum to hold in place.  Of course on the underside of the flap will be a thin piece of weather stripping to seal out moisture and dirt.  After reading some of the blogs and seeing so many bad fuel pumps I feel lucky that I got  over 440,000 km on the original one!  but luck might change and I now can access the pump easily.  So now on some more advice on the rest of the change, I go to tackle the rest of the job!
WILDFIRE
CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #26 on: 07/11/10 02:51 PM »

I would cut five holes before I would drop the tank  Big laughter with tears
LOL

sittin by the phone, waitin for the lord to send my calling
Question~ What are you doing in my house? Answer~ Bleeding out
Z66 BUTCH
CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator

I love Dachshunds

Awards
« Reply #27 on: 07/11/10 03:08 PM »

My fuel pump is not bad and is making no noise that would lead me to believe that it will go out anytime soon. However after reading this thread it looked like another mod that I just had to do  Cool! .........so yesterday I cut the carpet and pad and today the floor pan was cut out.

No pictures but it looks like the ones in reply #6 with the exception that I cut it all the way off. Then tabs were welded to the ends of the piece that was removed and it was dropped back in. For now I am just going to lay a plastic or rubber sheet over it and then pull the carpet back over it so members can look at it at the WWAGTG in Des Moines in a couple of weeks. Later I will seal it up.

The real reason for doing this was that we hardly drive our Avalanche locally, it is used for trips (mostly GTGs) and the chance of the fuel pump going out while far from home is great. I figure this way if it happens I can get one and put it in myself with little effort!

Alaska_AV.

living the cold life

WWW Awards
« Reply #28 on: 07/11/10 09:42 PM »

Cool Butch

I hope you NEVER need it!   Now order the replacement pump part off ebay...... lol

First you'll lose your mind
and then any free cash laying around
Then mods will bloat your credit limits
You'll be like a crack addict, refinancing your home..
You'll cry yourself to sleep,stuff like, must get new rims.
Important questions like, polished or chrome. will shadow you daily

I'm Jon, and my Wife is an Avalanche widow..
Nationals 2007 and 2008 good times

http://alaskaav.mybru
lkptgal

Awards
« Reply #29 on: 11/29/10 09:47 PM »

Thanks to this post, we easily got the hole cut and everything went smoothly. We had purchased the $70 fuel pump from California, which came VERY quickly Thumbs up! The only problem was, the sending unit on our truck (which the $70 fuel pump doesn't come with) was so rusty that it simply crumbled upon removal. We are now going to have to buy one from a local parts store.....and it only comes with a fuel pump! We will keep the $70 one for later use, in case ths becomes a problem again. Thanks so much for te detailed instructions and photos-couldn't have done it without them!
MissouriGriz

I love the Chevy Avalanche!

Awards
« Reply #30 on: 12/09/10 09:46 PM »

Yes. what he said.  Just cut the hole tonight on my '02 with 144k.  Thanks to this and other posts with pictures and measurements it went perfectly.  I only cut three sides of my hole, too and kinda scored the fourth and folded it up.  O'Reilly's has the new Delphi pump in and tomorrow night I'll finish it.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I will admit that the sparks from the cut-off wheel were kinda scary on the first cut.  After that, it was full steam ahead.  Thanks to you all, again. 

I did discover that the fuel lines coming off the pump were so corroded that they might have gone before the pump completely did.
kwistofoo
CAFCNA 2013 Premium Member

Awards
« Reply #31 on: 12/10/10 01:12 PM »

<snip>
I did discover that the fuel lines coming off the pump were so corroded that they might have gone before the pump completely did.
I have been noticing a fuel smell when my truck is running. No sign of a leak anywhere so I am now suspecting that the fuel pumps lines are badly corroded and due for replacement. Not too keen on dropping the tank so I will be  cutting a hole soon. Glad to see so many others creating a great clcollection of information

2004 Z71 WBH Victory Red 125,000 miles & counting!
So far: Angel Eye Headlights, FT Amber DRLs, AllOnHi, Sail Panel LEDs, 4 Brake Light Mod, Painted Bowtie, MagLite Mod, Fusioned Front Bumper & Dash, Cargo Light Rear Switch, Tailgate Cup Holders, Gibson Dual Rear Exit Exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, NGK G-Power Spark Plugs, Spectre Cold Air Intake, Hypertech PPIII, Pioneer F90BT, Alpine Type R Speakers & MRP-F300 Amp.
Coming soon: Ford Keys, EZ Slide, Underbody Lighting, Underseat Subs
Alaska_AV.

living the cold life

WWW Awards
« Reply #32 on: 12/10/10 03:32 PM »

My wifes AV smelled of fuel once awile. Could never find it till the fuel line came apart at 3 below in the driveway one night.  Hers was the mainline connection at the front of the tank were it goes from plastic to metal. I reconnected the lines and double checked the connections.  I still don't know why it came loose but it sounded like a dog peeing

First you'll lose your mind
and then any free cash laying around
Then mods will bloat your credit limits
You'll be like a crack addict, refinancing your home..
You'll cry yourself to sleep,stuff like, must get new rims.
Important questions like, polished or chrome. will shadow you daily

I'm Jon, and my Wife is an Avalanche widow..
Nationals 2007 and 2008 good times

http://alaskaav.mybru
cowboyryan

Awards
« Reply #33 on: 12/13/10 02:24 PM »

I went to drop the gas tank to replace the fuel pump and one of the nuts is stripped. Any ideas how to get something in there to get it off?

2003 Black North Face Edition. Tinted taillights, brush guard, 8000k H.I.D. headlights and fog lights, l.e.d. running lights, lighted sail panels, 2.5"F/2"R lift, 305/55/20 Nitto trail grapplers, 20" Incubus crusher wheels, cold air intake, straight pipe exhaust, whelen strobe lights
ChevyV8Man

I love the Chevy Avalanche!

Awards
« Reply #34 on: 12/26/10 10:12 AM »

Well, last Thursday, my fuel pump went out.  Shocked Engine spins over, but will not fire. I've checked all fuses/relays underneath the hood. Huh When I turn my key to the acc position, I'm not hearing the pump energizing. Thumbs down What I want to know, if or is their anyone out there that has step by step instructions on how to drop the fuel tank?  I have complete confidence  in this site due to the fact, I've made all my repairs to my truck with the advice of you guys!  Thumbs up!
I will not cut the hole in my floor!!

Help me!
Need4Speed
Charter Member

Half SUV, half truck, half-breed!

WWW Awards
« Reply #35 on: 09/07/11 11:11 PM »

If I cut a round hole, what is the minimum diameter that will still allow everything to be removed?

2002 Av, Black w/Tan leather, Z-71, 3.73, loaded.
ms38w

I AM the Scorpion

WWW Awards
« Reply #36 on: 09/07/11 11:44 PM »

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 inches...

'02 1500 Z71, with a few mods...
408 Stroker, H2 rear end, 6-speed manual,side pipes, shorty headers,8-lug wheels, 1-ton T-case, custom drive shafts.
Need4Speed
Charter Member

Half SUV, half truck, half-breed!

WWW Awards
« Reply #37 on: 09/08/11 04:30 AM »

I found some round covers that have a 7 5/8 inch inner diameter.....hate to buy one and install it only to find that the fuel pump assembly won't fit....

2002 Av, Black w/Tan leather, Z-71, 3.73, loaded.
ms38w

I AM the Scorpion

WWW Awards
« Reply #38 on: 09/11/11 07:02 AM »

cut the hole about 7" diameter, see if the pump will come out, then decide about the covers   Roll Eyes Tongue

'02 1500 Z71, with a few mods...
408 Stroker, H2 rear end, 6-speed manual,side pipes, shorty headers,8-lug wheels, 1-ton T-case, custom drive shafts.
MrShinyhead

Awards
« Reply #39 on: 11/05/12 09:37 AM »

After laying in a gravel driveway trying to figure out how to drop the tank for over 2 hours because I could only raise the truck about 2 feet, I got on and found this thread.   banghead

Literally, 45 minutes later, I was showing 62lbs pressure and she was running like new.  Went with the Dephi pump.  It took me longer to put away all my tools and clean up than it did to cut the hole, replace pump, and seal hole back up.  I went with the u-shaped hole and used self tapping screws and some extra sheet metal to create an access panel.  Sealed it with some flexible silicone sealer, put the carpet back down, closed the door and drove to a dinner date with the wife.  Thumbs up!

I use a side grinder with a metal blade quite a bit, but for those who have never done it, take your time, be patient and DO NOT CUT DEEPER THAN ABOUT 1/2'.  You will be so happy you went this route instead of dropping the tank.

Last week when it went out, I ordered the pump online, but just for giggles, I called the local Stealership and asked them how much.  "Between $1100 and 1300, most likely, depending on the likelyhood that this is the actual problem.  The technician will need time to properly diagnose the issue." 

me ===> Beating<=== Dealership

I used the pics on this thread for my guide, but the whole thing was so easy, that I forgot to take pics of my own.   Roll Eyes

Thanks again!

Actually, I am owned by my Avy, and that's ok...
02 Z66  Dark Grey cladded
No mods other than all the love I've put in with the occasional coffee spill 0.o
Michaelmiata89

Mottarone meets Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #40 on: 11/05/12 12:24 PM »

....... I used the pics on this thread for my guide, but the whole thing was so easy, that I forgot to take pics of my own.   Roll Eyes

Thanks again!

Those kind of reactions are ALWAYS good  Thumbs up! Thumbs up! Thumbs up! Thx!
Glad you found out that going from inside is better(easier) then going from underside

My Avy 2002,

5,3 ltr LPG, 305/40/22, 22" XD Monster matte black wheels, Leather, In-step reverse lights, EXT cluster, blue leds in cluster and switches, superbright white interieur and puddle leds, Xenon, Switchbacks leds, LED DRL, Lund Interceptor, vent visors, Flowmaster 40, Backup cams, Refinish Restored Cl
lowtrac

Awards
« Reply #41 on: 11/09/12 09:26 AM »

The pump in my 02 crapped out two weeks ago at 240000.  I was stranded out of town so paid a dealer there to replace it.  $832.  My wife's pump in her 01 Tahoe died the next week.  I called a buddy of mine and we dropped the tank.  Took about 3.5 hours from start to finish. 

I'd cut a hole next time.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: