• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2007 or 2008 Avalanche?

laudicdj

Hi guys, my wife got blind sided in the drivers side door about a month ago.  Some guy ran a red light on her way to work and totalled our 2003 black Z71.  It was leather, moonroof, bose...loaded.

I am considering a few 07 LT3 and LTZ models.  The LTZ has the rearview cam and autoride which has me leaning towards it.  The LT has chrome 20s which I think will be more work to maintain especially in Ohio and traveling to Michigan with the snowmobiles. 

My concern is for the 2007 being the first model year.  Working for car companies and being an engineer I hesistate to buy the first model year of anything knowing what design changes/improvements are always made the 2nd model year. 

Do you think I should avoid the 2007 models for any reason?  Did they have any major problems?  For instance the 2002 models of the cladded versions had the sun fading problem that seemed to get better in the 2003 thru 06 models. 

I hate to ignore my opinion on this and get the 2007, but to bump to a 2008 LTZ is pushing the budget too much.  The 07 is already more than what I really want to spend, but would like to get into the new body design.

I'd would go with the 07 and save a few bucks, they did not have too many problems.

Make sure you get a warranty that is good for a couple of years

Thanks for the suggestion!

The 07 LTZ I am looking at has 42k on it and has the remainder of the 100k/5yr drivetrain warrantly plus it is GM Certified Used so it comes with 12k/12 month bumper to bumper on that.

Any reliability/defective reasons to avoid the autoride?  Note: I will not be lifing it since it will be a family vehicle and need the lower height to get car seats in and out of it easily.  So I don't have that concern there.

The only difference between the 2007 and 2008 is a couple of paint colors.   The LTZ is the "luxury" version with the autoride rear suspension.  The LT3 (non-Z71) would not have any suspension upgrade.  No known issues with the new GMT900 platform (same platform as Surburban and Tahoe lines).

Doesn't seem like there was much of any difference, 2007 to 2008. In regards to issues, the only thing I've ever seen were some wind noise issues with the front door seals/alignment (Tahoes, Escalades, etc.) and mirrors vibrating, as a 2007 thing GM covered by way of service bulletins. That's not to say every 2007 is affected, but 3+ years later, something if it was, probably is already addressed. Not sure of much else.

Otherwise, not much difference. The first year can be a lot of service bulletins, but 3 years and miles past with another owner, anything worthwhile has probably already been remedied. The fresher, or later in the build, the better sometimes, but it's all variable.

There's only one major "defect" of the 07s that I must warn you about... excessive oil consumption. I would check to see the mileage of the 07 and watch the oil level. Still waiting for GM to come out with an official fix. :E:

Update: oops, didn't realize you posted the mileage in a later post. It may or may not be experiencing the consumption at that mileage yet.

The oil consumption started around 50,000 miles for me. I know that others have had it earlier and later than that. You may luck out with an 07 that doesn't have the problem, but I have yet to hear from anyone with mileage over 60,000 not experiencing it. It's a hit or miss I suppose. I don't mean to scare you away from getting the 07, I've lived with the oil consumption as it's not that big of deal to me. I'm nearing 75,000 miles and it's never gotten worse and the truck still runs like a champ. I just add a quart or so between changes. What's the price difference between the 07 and the 08 you're looking at?

[error post, needs to be deleted]

laudicdj said:
The 07 is at 31250 and the 08s seem to be going for 38 give or take.

I'd def go with the 07 then  (y)

Brought it home tonight!!!!!  Glad to have her home!
I will attempt to post a pic later tomorrow.  Gotta get to bed.  Been a long day!
Thanks for all the input guys!

Back