• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Des Moines WWGTG July 23rd through July 25th

pktwatch

SM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2004
SM 2003
THE
CHEVY AVALANCHE FAN CLUB OF NORTH AMERICA
PROUDLY PRESENTS

THE 1st WORLD WIDE AVALANCHE GET TOGETHER

BE A PART OF THIS SPECTACULAR EVENT
ON THE INTERNET AND IN

DES MOINES!

Time and Place:
********************​

When:  July 23-25, 2010
    What:  Sightseeing, cruising, eating, modding, and whatever else we can come up with during the 1st World Wide Avalanche GTG
    Where:  Des Moines, IA

Accommodations:
******************** ​

daysinn.jpg

Days Inn Des Moines-West Clive
1600 NW 114th Street
Clive, IA 50325 US
Phone: 515-226-1600

The room rates are $79 & $89 & Pets are allowed!

GOOD NEWS!

I got a call from theDays Inn today asking if I would need then to continue holding the rooms for a couple more days. YES! If you missed getting your reservation call today to get our group rate of $54.99. Tell them that you are with CAFCNA & the start date of July the 22nd,  you can reserve your room for as many nights as you need.

___________________________________________________________________​

CAMPERS

From member jabrd "Ok for campers....I just booked site 63 at cherry glenn for fri/sat nights, there are 3 other spots in the immediate vicintiy and a few others on near by loops. see the map below i will try to link, i hope it will actually show the available sites, i think they were 59, 61, 64 but check it to see and if you have questions let me know".

http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Cherry_Glen_Campground_Ia/r/campgroundMap.do?camparea=82267768&selectedSiteRb=107976&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=73120

THANKS jabard!

Schedule:  
********************​

Friday: Meet & greets as members arrive. Light modding in the parking lot (please be aware not to make a lot of noise or leave a mess).

Friday7PM 05HrlyHlr will lead a cruise from the hotel parking lot to a local Hardees where they have a regular Friday Night Cruise-In.

_____________________________________________________________________________________​

Saturday: Morning free/ socilizing time.  (More events will be added later)

______________________________________________________________________________________​

Saturday at 11:15AM we will leave the Hotel parking lot and cruise to Boone, IA to visit the Boone Scenic Valley Railroad Museum.  After that we will take a STEAM LOCOMOTIVE train ride! The train departs the depot at 1:30PM but we need to buy our tickets as soon as we arrive for the museum tour (to make sure that we all get onboard).

boonerailway.jpg

I spoke with the museum director and she said that the trains are NOT air conditioned so bring a small cooler of water and dress confortable for the trip! Snacks are allowed on the train and there are restrooms available. The steam engine runs unless it is above 95 degrees (if it's that hot we may not be running)! or unless it is broke down. If it is not running they will use another locomotive but I would LOVE to ride a steam train!!

Cost for the train ride:

Adults: $16  Ages 3-12: $5  Under age 3: Free in arms
I never asked about the charge for the museum but if there is a charge it will be minimal.

______________________________________________________________________________________​

Saturday at 4PM:
adventurelandh.jpg

___________________________________________________________________________________​

For those who are still full of engery (or have kids that are) stop by Adventureland Amusement and Waterpark.
It is a fun, family priced park sure to please everyone.

Adventureland Admission Price At Gate $35 You can save $5 by ordering tickets from their website online.

LINK TO THE ADVENTURELAND WEBSITE

Here is a location map:
adventurelandmap.jpg

If you have kids or are just more into the Amusement and Water Park thing, feel free to skip the train ride and spend all day at Adventureland, I have been assured that there is plenty to do!

________________________________________________________________________________________​

Saturday at 7PM:

Dinner and webcast at Hooters! FOOD DRIVE FOR DMARC Emergency Food Pantry in Des Moines     
         Hooters of Des Moines
         1480 22nd Street
         W. Des Moines, IA 50266

HOOTERS Restaurants are providing Wi-Fi for the event.

NEW INFO HERE:

Charity Event: :
********************​

Each WWAGTG has the opportunity to help a local food bank in the city where their event is hosted.

We will be doing this at the local Hooters on Saturday evening. If you can, please bring non-perishable food items for this charity event!  I have been in contact with DMARC Emergency Food Pantry and have made arrangements to drop of all food items that we collect at their location on Sunday morning.

DMARC Emergency Food Pantry
3816 36th St.
Des Moines, Iowa

Here is a list of their most needed items, of course any items are welcome!

DMARC Most Needed Food Items

100% Juice (tomato, orange, or vegetable in a can or plastic bottle)
Fruit (canned in water or 100% juice, not in heavy syrup)
Vegetables (tomatoes, green beans, mixed vegetables, or sweet potatoes, canned with no salt added)
Beans (dry or canned in water)
Peanut butter
Meat (tuna or chicken canned in water)
Whole-grain dry pasta or egg noodles
Brown rice (regular or instant)
Vegetable soup (low-sodium)
Whole grain crackers (wheat saltines)
Spaghetti sauce
Cereal (instant or regular oatmeal with no sugar added, whole grain cheerios, wheat chex, wheaties, granola or shredded wheat)
Shelf-stable low-fat UHT milk (in aseptic packaging, no canned milk)
Infant/baby formula
Diapers and baby wipes
Personal products (shampoo, soap, feminine hygiene, toothpaste, or deodorant)
Fresh whole grain bread items (with generous expiration dates)
Fresh fruits and vegetables (potatoes/sweet potatoes, bananas, apples, carrots, grapes, oranges, tomatoes, melons, broccoli, or bell peppers)

Please donate far before expiration and prime ripeness.

This is on a volunteer bases, I will not be asking for anything at the event, if you brought items please contact me and we will load them in my Avalanche and if anyone else want to volunteer to help collect and deliver them on Sunday morning that will be great!

This is one event that we will webcast so that other members of CAFCNA can meet us. We hope to connect with other WWAGTG's going on throughout this weekend.

___________________________________________________________________________________________​

Sunday July 25th:
Breakfast & then drop the donated food off at DMARC Emergency Food Pantry & then say ourgoodbyes.

Information on Des Moines:  
********************​

Although we do have planned group outings and cruises I realize that some things will not appeal to every member or family. Feel free to choose what and when you want to spend time with us! This is one of the main reasons that I do not like to charge a registration fee for events that I help plan. I feel that it is best to try to get the discounts but let the members choose what events they wish to attend and pay "a la cart" for them.

There are good rates at the Days Inn but I know that some members may have "points" or reasons to stay elsewhere, again this is YOUR GTG so feel free to stay and go where you please but try to spend at least a little time with us!

This is a three day event but for most people there will just be a day & a half or so of events because of travel time. Here is the best webpage that I found of other things to do in Des Moines. There is a box on the left side to choose from:

Shopping, Eating, Playing & Other Things to do While in Des Moines

Metro Guide

Retail Guide (Shopping)

Dining Guide

Hotel Guide

Directory

As always the Hotel will be a popular hang out spot. At some GTG's I have attended some members seem to hang out and socialize in the hotel parking lot for the full GTG............as long as we are courteous and aware of other hotel guests we should be OK modding and hanging in the parking lot.

What You Need To Do: :
********************​

Post in this thread to let us know that you are coming.

Next Read, print and then sign THIS FORM and bring it with you. I will have a few extras just in case someone forgets theirs. It must be signed by each adult person attending this event.

Call the hotel to make your own reservations.  If you prefer another hotel that is OK to but get reservations early. If you are camping and can help with reservations please let me know!

You will not be paying ANY REGISTRATION FEE!

This is a family event and designed to save a few dollars on your vacation in these leaner times. Any group dinners or breakfasts will be at your expense but everything scheduled is budget priced from the $54 hotel to the $35 amusement park to the $16 dollar train ride.

Come out and enjoy a National event with us!

Attendees List:
********************​

If you will let me know how many will be coming with you we can get a better idea of how many to plan for.

1. 05HrlyHlr + wife & daughter
     2. Z66 BUTCH + 1
     3. johnny7175
     4. Royal Vader
     5. jabrd + wife
     6. cooncitycornflake + wife & 3 kids
     7. Mdz66 + 1
     8. PrimeAV
     9. lurchsavalanche + wife & 3 kids
   10. U.S.A.valanche  + wife & daughter
   11. Didit & Lu + Molly
   12. GoldBowTie & Toots
   13. Ski Edition & Mrs Ski They can't make the GTG  :cry:
   14. Marko + 1
   15. LakeFX & LadyFX + 1 or maybe 2 kids

Maybe:
   irontrain + 3

Mdz66 said:
My brother Marko  and his gf will be coming with his 07 sunburst beauty, will be his first gtg.

If he is a member here I can add him as another attendee, for now I added them to your group.

WELCOME Marko!  :wave:

Cool we are growing!

Found some events for people to do...

http://desmoines.metromix.com/events/zoo_event/family-friday-night/1928674/content

http://desmoines.metromix.com/restaurants/event/friday-wine-tastings/1927583/content#expand

http://desmoines.metromix.com/music/performance/breakin-ground-band/1951569/content#expand

http://www.seedesmoines.com/shop/malls.php

http://www.seedesmoines.com/shop/shopping_districts.php

http://adventureland-usa.com/

Dont know for sure, but it seems to be a trend with the G2G's so I found one...
http://www.bing.com/local/details.aspx?lid=YN233x61280643&qt=yp&what=hooters+restaurant&where=Des+Moines%2c+Iowa&s_cid=ansPhBkYp02&mkt=en-us&q=hooters+resturant+Des+Moines

There is also Auto Races at the Iowa state fair fri night from 5-10 addmission is 10$ for adults and 4$ for kids 12 and under

Just a few ideas I have some emails sent out looking for cruise nights or gathering  over that weekend we shall see. Can anyone in the area try to look for info on Car shows also please!

It seems as if a lot of people want to camp is this looking as the way to go versus getting rooms?

lurchsavalanche said:
My wife and I have it on the calender to attend, may even have our 3 kids with us. It will be our first GTG and hopes it will lead to MANY more!  :cool:

GREAT, I added you to the list.......

cooncitycornflake said:
I note you wrote up attendees with the respective truck as such I too will have wife and 3 kids.

Thanks, I added them.

PrimeAV said:
Any word on what we are doing yet?

I was wanting some input on what I posted as far as ideas. I will just make a tenative schedule when I get back from California next week. Thsoe that want to join can!

Also need ideas on who wants to camp and who wants to get rooms.

We will be getting a room. How much we can do will depend on the weather. My wife has had 3 major surgeries within the last 2 years, while she is getting better she now has problems with the sun and walking (especially in the heat).

So this is my anniversary weekend! The wife is a bit  :beating: as I am always guilty of thinking we got married in June  :laugh: atleast I know it was a warm month that started with "J"  :rolleyes: I am still in of course. Do not know about her yet!

I thought this was the "attendance" list...  I put a bunch of area attractions on the "planning" thread...  Where should they be?

???

U.S.A.valanche said:
I thought this was the "attendance" list...  I put a bunch of area attractions on the "planning" thread...  Where should they be?

???

Yea. we are all kind of confusing.............the planning thread was really started for ideas, we should start another thread when we have a "schedule of events" and can update it as needed, keeping all of the latest information up in the first post.

I think it is OK to leave your post with the attractions where it is for now, we still read that thread.

05HrlyHlr said:
So this is my anniversary weekend! The wife is a bit  :beating: as I am always guilty of thinking we got married in June  :laugh: atleast I know it was a warm month that started with "J"   :rolleyes: I am still in of course. Do not know about her yet!

My 15th is on July 8th. Have a good one.  :cool:

ATTENTION

If you posted in this thread I have sent you a PM, please check your PM inbox.

Thanks, Butch

Hey Butch put me down for 2 - 4 people as a maybe.

Back