• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Stabilitrak & Traction Control Service

chadrick_et

on my 07 Av LT, yesterday i was driving on the highway and i here this "ding" and message appeared stabilitrak off traction control service soon. it went off and bout a few mins later it came on again, and then my engine light come on "oh sh*t" today i took it to auto zone and the scaned the computer and it came up with codes P0171 fuel mixture system lean bank 1 and code P0174 bank 2 detected a lean condition.. and now its hard to start my truck it cranks and cranks over and over.. the manager at autozone said it could be either my MAF or my O2 sensors but he said before i go and spend money run some injector cleaner in ur tank and see it that solves the problem. so i unhooked the battery to turn off the engine light and put some injector cleaner in the fuel tank and im gonna see if that helps but again the "ding" still comes on and say blah bah service soon...is this all the same problem or do i have 2 different problems HELP :help:

Do you have under 80,000 miles.

Some of the emmission system parts have a 8 year 80,000 warantty, but the 02 sensor are not covered. I'd try to clean the MAF with MAF cleaner then pull the 02 sensor out to see what it looks like.

If you do a search with the code we will see that other things can cause the codes. Do you have a Cold AIR intake

Just see if has any junk on it. We are just eliminating the cheap fixes first.

Did forget to put the intake back together with no leaks

Don't start replacing parts just yet just check them first.

If the 02 sensors are some what clean, here is the hard part take a look at your intake gasket by the heads and see if you can find any signs of a air leak.

i pulled the o2's the ones before the cats were clean and the ones after the cats had a lil black carbon but not too bad and my engine light came back on throwin the same codes

A little carbon is OK see if you can any signs of a intake gasket leak. After that may be time to buy some parts. I can't tell ya which part is bad Good Luck Sir

no there was no signs of intake leaks it thinnkin could it be a case of bad gas? im lost i dont know where to go with this truck...so i take it that my o2's are ok with no signs of alot of carbon and im still lost why Stabilitrak & Traction Control Service still comes on

Are you running E85?

For E85 compatible engines only--Over estimation of the ethanol content will result in a rich shift of fuel trim values, and under estimation will result in a lean shift of fuel trim values. A fuel trim DTC may set if the learned alcohol content, Fuel Alcohol Content parameter on the scan tool, is different than the measured alcohol content in the vehicle such that the fuel trim values exceed failure threshold values.

If the ECM detects an excessively lean condition, DTC P0171 or P0174 sets.

Some things to check

?  Vacuum hoses for splits, kinks, and improper connections

?  Insufficient fuel in the tank

?  Low fuel pressure

?  Fuel contamination

?  Malfunctioning fuel injectors

?  Missing, loose, or leaking exhaust components from the HO2S forward

?  Vacuum leaks at the intake manifold, the throttle body, and the injector O-rings

?  The air induction system and the air intake ducts for leaks or for a missing air filter element

?  A cracked EVAP canister

?  Evaporative pipes obstructed or leaking

?  The crankcase ventilation system for leaks

?  The HO2S for improper installation and for electrical wires or connectors that may have contacted the exhaust system

?  The HO2S signal circuit open, shorted to ground, or shorted to the low reference circuit

?  Malfunctioning engine components

You could always take it to a dealer or local shop to have them do the diagnostic, and fix it yourself.

The message center displays the stabiliTrak off message when one or more of the following conditions exists.

?  The transfer case is shifted into 4 LO. The EBCM sends a serial data message to the IPC requesting illumination. 

?  The driver manually disables the VSES and engine torque reduction by pressing the traction control switch. The EBCM sends a serial data message to the IPC requesting illumination. 

?  The estimated temperature of any solenoid coil exceeds an acceptable limit. The EBCM sends a serial data message to the IPC requesting this display. 

?  The EBCM detects a failed brake switch. The EBCM sends a serial data message to the IPC requesting this display. A DTC sets when this condition exists.

?  VSES sensor initialization time is excessive. The EBCM sends a serial data message to the IPC requesting this display. 

?  Serial data communication between the EBCM and any of several other control modules is interrupted. The EBCM sends a serial data message to the IPC requesting this display or the IPC displays the message when communication with the EBCM is interrupted. 

?  The PCM is not able to perform engine torque reduction. The EBCM sends a GMLAN message to the IPC requesting this display. DTCs set when this condition exists. 

?  The EBCM detects an excessively low or excessively high ignition voltage. The EBCM sends a GMLAN message to the IPC requesting this display.

Interesting post ItsStopher I can't see any of those items that would cause the P0171 P0174 codes.

ne neither but thats what the book says for the stabiliTrak off message  ???

Does a 1500 have a PCV valve and could it be stuck open. ???

I did a little searching and most sites could not give a definite answer the problem was cause by many things.

just came across this

#03-06-04-030F: Various Driveability Symptoms Due to Clogged Fuel Injectors, MIL/SES DTCs P0171, P0172, P0174, P0300, P1174, P1175 (Clean Fuel Injectors and/or Perform Injector Test With AFIT - CH-47976) - (Dec 10, 2007)

Condition
Some customers may comment on any of the following various driveability symptoms:

?  Extended Crank Time

?  Hard to Start

?  MIL/SES Illuminated with DTCs

?  Hesitation

?  Lack of Power

?  Surge or Chuggle

?  Rough Idle

?  Light or Intermittent Misfire

Cause
Due to various factors, the fuel injectors may become restricted. Extensive testing has demonstrated that fuel related issues are the cause of clogged injectors. At this point, no specific fuel, fuel constituent, or engine condition has been identified as causing the restriction. The restriction causes the engine to operate at a lean air fuel ratio. This may either trigger the MIL to illuminate or the engine to develop various driveability symptoms.

Correction
Fuel injector restrictions, deposits can be cleaned on the vehicle using the following procedure. Under NO circumstances should this procedure be modified, changed or shortened. As a long term solution, and to prevent reoccurrence, customers should be encouraged to use Top Tier Detergent Gasoline . For further information on Top Tier detergent gasoline and fuel retailers, please refer to the following Corporate Bulletin Numbers:

Yeah I think he put in some fuel injector cleaner already, it's hard not knowing the maintenance on the AV. I use fuel injector cleaner ever 3 months a 5 buck fix can save ya big bucks down the road.

I also had the hard start problem....would take a few seconds of cranking to start.  Sometimes it would take a couple of tries.  Took it to the dealer and they diagnosed a lean condition in a couple cylinders.  They replaced the fuel pump in the tank under warranty (I have 86k miles).  Fixed the hard start problem right away.

I also have this Stabilitrac/traction control issue.  I am running injector cleaner now and ill see......  It went away in the afternoon yesterday and so far nothing else

Bryon

im runnin injector cleaner thur the truck now and its still hard to start the truck and jsut to update i took all o2's out of the truck last night  and they look good and took a look at the engine and there are no signs of leaks, i disconnected the battery last night and hook it back up and this morning the engine light came back ok throwing the same coded P0171 P0174

Back