• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

reduced engine power

2003avi

my 03 has reduced engine power in the dash and code p1518 is this something i can repair my self  :B:

Do you know if that was the only code stored

And how are your mechanical skills

Fairly common problem in GMT800 trucks, the 2 most common issues causing reduced engine power message with no throttle responce is a weak battery (a battery can be weak and still start the engine) or broken connector in the throttle body actuator. GM has a repair kit for the TB connector for about $70

Try putting some Di-electric grease on the plug for the TAC Throttle Actuator Control

P1518 Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Module Serial Data Circuit

The plug is number  3

normal_757688.gif

where would i find the plug, oh if i erase the code it will be find for maybe 5-10 mins then it comes up again so if it were a broken wire would i be able to get rid of the code for that length of time??

i have some di electric greas i will try it right now i thank you guy for the feed back i will let you know if that works

No problem if you have a broken wire you are better off replacing the plug Good luck

2003avi said:
where would i find the plug, oh if i erase the code it will be find for maybe 5-10 mins then it comes up again so if it were a broken wire would i be able to get rid of the code for that length of time??
As soon as you clear the code start the truck and turn the headlights on with the brights on, if the REP message display it will confirm that its a low voltage problem and most likely your battery causing the issue.

k i tried the di eletric grease and went for drive still having same problem and battery is good???? :E:

How did the plug look any corrosion ???

I think it's time to take it to the shop. Everything else requires special equipment.

Do you have a test light? If you do lets try this

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Remove the cover from the underhood electrical center.
3. Test both sides of the ETC/ECM fuse with a test lamp connected to ground.

Does the test lamp illuminate on at least 1 side of the fuse?

1. Turn OFF the ignition
2. Test for voltage at the ETC/ECM fuse with a test lamp connected to ground.

Does the test lamp illuminate?

When I had this happen it ended up being the TAC control module but there are several things it can be. Follow along with ItsStopher, he will lead you down the correct path.

Need some help/advice please -

2003 Avalanche 1500/Z-71  180,00 mi

Initially had DTC P1518 - and know have  P1057, P0455, P0157P P0455P

Have seen very intermittently -  "Reduced Power"  

Runs a little rough and louder.

I checked the 15A fuse and Di-electric greased the plug for the TAC Throttle Actuator Control, but still have P1518.

Any thoughts?

Thinking of replacing the TAC module.

One of the things to check is the battery, another is try the grease on the throttle body plug. 

Sometimes if you get multiple codes its cause by low voltage

Back