• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Front tires slip/ skid when slow turning?

sjr32

Just a question, my front tires will skip,slide when slow turing when there is some sand mud etc.  feels like it's in 4 wheel drive. Is this normal or is something wrong, would a bad ABS sensor cause this?  02  Z1R
Thanks
Steve in Ct

I need a little more detail are your tires sliding in mud and sand. ???

Say i'm pulling into a parking space and if there is some sand there i can feel the tire slip/skid as i turn the wheel. Like if it was in 4 wheel drive and you turn you can feel it. Not talking about both wheels, feels like it's just one catching then sliding/skipping. It's not a smooth turn, most of the time it's my driver side seems like.  Hard to explain.
Steve in Ct 

Look at the glove box door and see if you have a option G80

Also when was the last time you replaced the brake pads.

Brakes were done not to long ago, pads and rotors. Yes it has  "G80" in the glove. Dosen't matter what tires i use i have summer and winter on 2 sets of rims. No clue if i have Stablitrac?
Steve in Ct

Inside front or outside?
What brand tires do you have?
Size?

Outside of tire if thats what you mean?
Summer are 18" Sumatumo (spelling)
Winter (stock) Toyo Open Country 17"

Just wondering if you ever found anything out.  Mine has been doing it alot for the last couple months!

My personal opinion is its the crappy sway bar bushings and end links Chevy used, mine didit also, then a few months back changed to Moog polyurethane and now it does not do it, coincidence, I think not!

Didit

So can these bushings can cause inside tire wear. I am having trouble with three tires. I have rotated aligned and actually flip the tires so I could buy some time to figure this out. Two tire companies I have dealt with are like dumba$$#$ Talking to these guys I feel like I am  :E:  After 2000 miles the insides are feathering again. I would like to figure this out before I buy new.

:jacked:

LornesAV said:
So can these bushings can cause inside tire wear. I am having trouble with three tires. I have rotated aligned and actually flip the tires so I could buy some time to figure this out. Two tire companies I have dealt with are like dumba$$#$ Talking to these guys I feel like I am  :E:  After 2000 miles the insides are feathering again. I would like to figure this out before I buy new.

:jacked:

Same thing here, my tires are all chopping on the inside tread and I have rotated them in order to buy some more time, I changed the shocks, had the alignment double checked, even double checked the front hubs, everything is good but the tires are still chopping(meaning the tread in the inside of the tires are forming into bumps all the way around the tire.
I sure hope someone has the answer to this before I need to buy new tires, and subject them to the same wear.

Didit said:
that sounds more like an alignment problem.

Didit

aligned twice by two different companies, second company said off a little. He also said I could take it down the street and they would tell me it is off a little from what they did. I am lifting the truck today to check the wheel bearings but from what Xx-007-xX has tried doesn't seem like this will help.
I can let go of the steering wheel and it drives true, no vibration no anything. I am think the next step is two raise pressure to wear the inside till I figure this out. currently 32 may boost to 40. I think 44 is max. AV is a 08 LT3 Z71 with 18" Bridgestone Dueler AT tire and all tire are doing this.

Xx-007-xX

if you alignment checks true then, I can only assume thats its a pressure problem, I run forty in mine all the time with no problems or uneven wear as of yet.  Knock on wood, lol.

Didit

Back