Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Author Topic: What did you do to your Avalanche today?  (Read 951070 times)

robertmee

• I love the Chevy Avalanche
Re: What did you do to your Avalanche today?
« Reply #4625 on: 03/27/18 07:24 AM »

In the past week, I finished my interior 90%

- All new Red/Gray Leather interior
- All new heat pads
- New Driver Seat cushion
- New Gray headliner and matching gray trim (had tan before)
- All new Carpet with sound deadening
- Refurbished Dash
- Dyed seat trim to match red leather
- Installed Red LED's in all dash lights
- Installed new 8200NEX Head Unit, microphone, GPS
- Installed backup camera
- Cleaned the old dog/cat hair from every vent, seat rail, nook and cranny...gross

Still to do to complete:

- Finish red LED's in door/seat controls
- Replace some broken trim (Passenger Kick panel, driver sill plate, rear view mirror cable sleeve, driver side midgate latch)
- Either fix or replace my spastic rear view mirror (have a junk yard replacement, but also will try re soldering existing)
- Figure out why my pedal adjustment isn't working (can hear the relay, but no movement)
- Install a new 11" Android tablet in lower part of console
- Install ELM327 to tablet for engine perfomance
- Install new Weathertech mats

My build thread here:  http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=152235.msg2159463#msg2159463
2003 Cladded Z71

frito

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
  • "I'll be your bumblebee buzzing around"
« Reply #4626 on: 03/27/18 07:41 AM »

In the past week, I finished my interior 90%

- All new Red/Gray Leather interior
- All new heat pads
- New Driver Seat cushion
- New Gray headliner and matching gray trim (had tan before)
- All new Carpet with sound deadening
- Refurbished Dash
- Dyed seat trim to match red leather
- Installed Red LED's in all dash lights
- Installed new 8200NEX Head Unit, microphone, GPS
- Installed backup camera
- Cleaned the old dog/cat hair from every vent, seat rail, nook and cranny...gross

Still to do to complete:

- Replace some broken trim (Passenger Kick panel, driver sill plate, rear view mirror cable sleeve, driver side midgate latch)
- Either fix or replace my spastic rear view mirror (have a junk yard replacement, but also will try re soldering existing)
- Figure out why my pedal adjustment isn't working (can hear the relay, but no movement)

My build thread here:  http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=152235.msg2159463#msg2159463
It's looking great.  Let us know what you find with the pedal adjustments.  Mine act the same way - I can hear the relay but no movement as well.
Bumblebee - '03 Z71, FTDRL, All On High, Sail Panel LEDs, Bumper Cup Holders.  Decisions, Decisions...

1967DropTop

« Reply #4627 on: 03/27/18 09:16 PM »

Sunday - After going through a ridiculous amount of effort and time to replace the 2 burnt out DRL bulbs,  I polished the headlights.  Car is new to me and it looked like maybe someone in the past had hit them with the polisher when waxing the paint.  Not a perfect job, but came out pretty well considering the damage and that I'd never polished headlights before.

« Last Edit: 03/27/18 09:19 PM by 1967DropTop »
'08 LT Z71

bpdutton

• Driving over stuff since 2016.
« Reply #4628 on: 03/28/18 04:36 AM »

Wow - that looks great 1967DropTop!  Can I ask what product you used to polish them?  Mine could use a little help.
Brian
'07 LT Z71

1967DropTop

« Reply #4629 on: 03/28/18 09:14 AM »

Wow - that looks great 1967DropTop!  Can I ask what product you used to polish them?  Mine could use a little help.

I pretty much did what's done in this video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSm8C3I6_w4

I got the Chemical Guys product from Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-FLEX_443_9-Sanding-Restoration/dp/B002MAIP3K/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1522252371&sr=1-5&keywords=chemical+guys+headlight+restoration+kita

6 pack of micro fiber towels -I used a diferent clean towel after sanding and each polish, and another to apply the sealant. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQYCKE8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I would've been better off buying the big pack from costco

A pack of cheapo polishing pads https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076ZJMHB1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The kit has 4 different polishes but I only used 2. And it doesn't include the Jet Seal sealer. I bought a 4 oz bottle of that.

It's a bit spendy. But it has way more product than to do a single pair of headlights.   And I'm going to do my wifes car next. I'll still have plenty left over for re-polishing for each Spring

I think with the extent of the damage, I should have started with a more aggressive sand paper.  I think could've done a first sand with 1000.  The kit comes with 2000 and 3000.
'08 LT Z71

old skool

« Reply #4630 on: 03/28/18 08:56 PM »

Washed, hit the engine with some degreaser, and vacuumed. Tomorrow I'll take it to get emissions done, and then I'll treat the bed panels with some R&R.  :thumbsup:
Ebony 2007 LS

ygmn

• Administrator
  • Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .
« Reply #4631 on: 03/29/18 01:57 AM »

Hauled landscape plants the last 2 days...

Week prior brother used her to move sailboat trailer from house to marina.

GLad I kept the AVY as a hauler now.... she gets to rest most of the time and driven for hauling home stuff etc.

Hard to believe this Sept will be 17 years I have had her since 2001. CRAZY

Maybe Chevy made them too good?

Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

AVinSbyCt

« Reply #4632 on: 03/29/18 09:56 AM »

Four new rotors and sets of pads. Gotta love the ice melt crap they spread on the roads...
'12 LT All Star Edition 4X4 Steel Gray Metallic/Ebony Leather Interior with power sunroof, K&N drop in filter, WeatherTech floor liners, Molded splash guards, Mag Lite Mod, Color Matched Bowties, Color Matched Bugflector II, WeatherTech in channel side window deflectors, Front Windows tinted, Autowoods console trim, Chrome tow hooks, Fuel Throttle 20x9; Cooper Discoverer AT3 275 55 20, Corsa cat back sport exhaust, GM stainless door sills, GM Avalanche license plate frame, BedRug

robertmee

« Reply #4633 on: 03/30/18 03:09 PM »

Still to do to complete:

Few more things off the list...My junkyard mirror ended up not being the same model....different connector.  So I pulled mine apart and resoldered all the board connectors and some of the resistors.  So far so good.
2003 Cladded Z71

ygmn

• Administrator
  • Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .
« Reply #4634 on: 03/30/18 03:22 PM »

hauled more plants and sod this time.
Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

old skool

« Reply #4635 on: 03/31/18 10:07 AM »

Washed, hit the engine with some degreaser, and vacuumed. Tomorrow I'll take it to get emissions done, and then I'll treat the bed panels with some R&R.  :thumbsup:

Just an update on the emissions...Didn't pass the first time, as the readiness monitors showed oxygen sensor and evap system "not ready". Just remembered that I ran my battery down a week before working on the radio. So I figured that was the reason for it to show "not ready". Took the truck for about a 20 mile ride on the freeway, stopped at the emission testing station, and passed with flying colors.  :thumbsup:
Ebony 2007 LS

old skool

« Reply #4636 on: 03/31/18 04:00 PM »

After trying to use 3M tape and it not holding, I finally got around to finding a good spot and using screws. I think it may hold this time.

« Last Edit: 03/31/18 04:06 PM by old skool »
Ebony 2007 LS

robertmee

« Reply #4637 on: 03/31/18 05:23 PM »

Few more things off the list...My junkyard mirror ended up not being the same model....different connector.  So I pulled mine apart and resoldered all the board connectors and some of the resistors.  So far so good.

Welp, the reflow didn't fix the issue.  So back to the junkyard today, and picked up another mirror (the correct one this time) for $8.  Also, picked up driver sill and passenger kick panel.  So mark those off the list.
2003 Cladded Z71

EXT4ME

• ... I saw a DEADHEAD sticker on a Cadillac ...
« Reply #4638 on: 03/31/18 06:40 PM »

Still chasing down some small oil leaks.

Spent the past two days installing new valve cover gaskets and cover bolt grommets.

The ones that came off looked to be the original OEM bits.

Pretty nasty.

All Fel-Pro for the new stuff.

Not too bad a job, but I took my time and made sure everything was spotless clean.

Lots of brake cleaner, shop rags, paper towels and mechanic gloves.

My hands and fingers are plenty sore right now.

Changed out the plugs and wires while I was there.

The connector on the pigtail and the engine coolant temp sensor connector just crumbled when I bumped it.

So new pieces there, as well.

Everything was going great until I broke one of the valve cover bolts while setting the torque on it.

It was no where near the torque of the previous five bolts when it let loose.

I guess old age must have had something to do with it.

I quickly found that regular old parts stores do not carry replacement bolts for this application.

Luckily for me, I caught my regular mechanic at home and he and I went to his shop and found one off of a donor truck.

Nice save!

Went ahead and cleaned the MAF and checked the air filter, as well.

Everything is clean and back together and the truck runs as smooth as silk.

But there may still be a tiny oil leak.

Possibly the rear main oil seal.

I'll get it up on a lift soon and we can have a good look at things.

So far, everything we have fixed has held up nicely and the oil leaks from those areas have stopped.

There is barely a drip now where I was beginning to leave a mess everywhere I parked.

Time will tell if I can get all of the leaks stopped.

It's rough having my truck get old.
Please consider helping to keep our Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America alive! Become a Supporting Member Today! Without ongoing member support, our forum may have trouble surviving. The annual cost of a membership is very small compared to the wealth of knowledge this site provides. Let's do what we can to not lose it. THANKS FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT!

malbrecht1

• CAFCNA 2017 Supporting Member
« Reply #4639 on: 04/01/18 08:32 PM »

Changed the Transmission fluid along with the filter and gave the pan a good cleaning. First time doing this since I've owned my Avy and I was surprised at how good the fluid looked. I'm thinking someone might have changed it before. With the new fluid the truck shifts slightly better, especially the 1-2 shift. I was going to install the corvette servo but I couldn't get the damn servo cover off... the thing didn't budge when trying to pry it in to get the snap ring off. Might try again this summer.

Changed the rear differential fluid and I replaced the cover and diff bolts. The old cover and bolts were rusted pretty bad but didn't have any problems removing them. The diff fluid was black, i'm sure it was never changed. (138,000 miles on the truck)

Also replaced the inner tie rod ends because there was play in the steering wheel, and it made a HUGE difference. I'm amazed at how tight the steering wheel is now. I did my best to align it, but I will take it to a shop in the near future to have it professionally aligned.
2003 Z71 Cladded

naylor99

• Charter Member
  • "The future is not what it used to be" A C Clarke
« Reply #4640 on: 04/01/18 08:41 PM »

Traded it (Friday) for a 2018 4Runner.

But I will always be a long time Avalanche fan.

2013 BLK/BLK 4WD LTZ : Ambers, BedRug, EZ Down, LED bed lights, Maglite Mod, Brushed Alum/Black vinyl interior upgrade, puddle light projectors, LED hitch step, more to come...
2005 Victory Red/Tan WBH Z66 (Sold)
2003 White (long gone)
Member 163, joined 2/15/02

netdoctored

• CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member
« Reply #4641 on: 04/01/18 11:51 PM »

Finally got around to installing a cabin air filter kit, don't understand why Chevy deleted that from 2nd gen trucks.
2007 2WD LTZ - Black / Pewter

spidey

• "On the Ranch" by Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #4642 on: 04/02/18 07:39 AM »

Took it in for a front bumper paint job.

Took it in for a brake flush last Wed and I guess the tech as he moved the machine it skipped on a rock or something, and gouged the front bumper.  about an 8" dragline.

At least they owned up to it, many places or people would just either not tell you (been there) or say it was already there.

So brought it in today for repair.   Also getting a rad flush since its been over 5 years now.
Silver Ice 2012 LT - Bought June 9, 2012, 240kms

Chrome antenna Chrome AVS bug/rock hood guard
DeeZee tailgate assist hydraulic LED Hitch step
Console organizer Weathertech window vent visors (smoke)
Weathertech floormats (front & rear) Embossed chrome door sill plates
Putco Liquid Spider Web grill insert Chrome lettered license plate frame
Bowtie license plate cover Helo rims/Goodyear Wranglers
Putco tail light chrome trim Chev stamped muffler tip
Bushwacker fender flares Gatorback mud flaps

EXT4ME

« Reply #4643 on: 04/02/18 11:07 AM »

The EXT got a partial transmission fluid transfusion to the tune of 7 quarts of new transmission fluid and I also opted to also have the filter changed out.

Unfortunately, this was unscheduled.

Coming home from my mother-in-law's Easter lunch get together yesterday afternoon, I was cruising at an even 70 MPH when all of a sudden, I saw that I was white smoke fogging three lanes of interstate highway.

I immediately bailed off onto the outside shoulder and shut everything down.

When I walked around to the passenger side of the truck and bent down to have a look, the entire underside of the truck from the engine back was soaking wet with some kind of fluid that was dripping from all over the place.

Called a tow truck and had it flat bed towed the thirty miles back home and dropped it off at my mechanic's shop.

My mechanic was driving by at the time and I gave him what information I had and the keys.

When I arrived at the shop early this morning, the EXT was sitting outside the shop bay door with a line of some fluid coming all the way around the building from where I had the truck dropped off.

I walked in and my mech told me it was the transmission and the engine appeared to be fine, but the transmission quit pulling at all before he could even get the truck in the bay.

We were able to get the truck to pull itself into the bay, which is on an uphill slope, by adding three quarts of ATF fluid.

Which promptly spewed out all over the place during the process.

Once on the lift, it was obvious that BOTH transmission cooler lines had popped off of the transmission.

The black plastic locking pin retainer caps on both lines were not even seated over the locking pins.

The last time either of those lines were touched was almost 100,000 miles ago when a FORMER mechanic at this shop had reinstalled my rebuilt transmission.

Either of these lines could have popped off at any point down the line.

:E:

But anyway, the transmission has a new filter and 7 quarts of fresh fluid and the bottom of my truck is not likely to rust anytime soon.

I can live with that since the transmission did not appear to suffer any damage.

My billfold, no so much.

:thumbsup:

Please consider helping to keep our Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America alive! Become a Supporting Member Today! Without ongoing member support, our forum may have trouble surviving. The annual cost of a membership is very small compared to the wealth of knowledge this site provides. Let's do what we can to not lose it. THANKS FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT!

Z66Modder

• CAFCNA Regional Coordinator
  • Region V Area
« Reply #4644 on: 04/05/18 09:47 PM »

Hauled landscape plants the last 2 days...

Week prior brother used her to move sailboat trailer from house to marina.

GLad I kept the AVY as a hauler now.... she gets to rest most of the time and driven for hauling home stuff etc.

Hard to believe this Sept will be 17 years I have had her since 2001. CRAZY

Maybe Chevy made them too good?

Yep, I've had mine a long time too. Waiting till she hits the 20 year mark in age so I can apply for vintage plates and stop paying for tabs.

Old Avalanches don't Die, They just Go Faster

EXT4ME

« Reply #4645 on: 04/06/18 03:32 AM »

Yep, I've had mine a long time too. Waiting till she hits the 20 year mark in age so I can apply for vintage plates and stop paying for tabs.

It's 25 years here.

I was finally able to get the Antique license plate on my 1993 Ford Explorer this past February.

Another milestone for the old truck.

Vaeagleav

• The Avalanche just keeps getting better!
« Reply #4646 on: 04/06/18 08:04 AM »

FYI guys not sure if it applies to all states with Antique or Vintage tags but in Virginia you can't use Antique tags on a daily driver, only on special occasions such as parades,car shows or to and from a car repair shop or test rides etc. Those in my area have had run ins with some local cops who enforce the restricted use of the tags.
2008 Z71 Silver Birch 
2004 Z71 Silver Birch before that.

EXT4ME

« Reply #4647 on: 04/06/18 12:14 PM »

FYI guys not sure if it applies to all states with Antique or Vintage tags but in Virginia you can't use Antique tags on a daily driver, only on special occasions such as parades,car shows or to and from a car repair shop or test rides etc. Those in my area have had run ins with some local cops who enforce the restricted use of the tags.

No restrictions here in Arkansas.

You do, however have to provide the license number of another vehicle that you own that is NOT an antique, when you apply for the Antique tag.

They do not have you state that the other vehicle is the one you drive most of the time.

My antique gets about 700 miles a year on it and is used as a spare when the other cars are in the shop and such.

We used to use it as our "snow" truck when it was the only 4 wheel drive truck in the family fleet.

But the EXT is more than capable now days.

Z66Modder

• CAFCNA Regional Coordinator
  • Region V Area
« Reply #4648 on: 04/06/18 11:14 PM »

No problem, i'll just show them my 2013 2SS/RS Camaro. Did I mention it only has 13K miles.

Exhaust mods video here: https://youtu.be/MuhIGbHQhGo

« Last Edit: 04/06/18 11:22 PM by Z66Modder »

Old Avalanches don't Die, They just Go Faster

JVZL1

• Looking For A Crew Cab Pick UP Drove An AVY
« Reply #4649 on: 04/07/18 09:22 PM »

Lol...Nice and thx for the heads up.  I just replaced all four heater pads, and also the button controls for my seats as they were worn also.  Saved me a point of frustration :)

Always nice to give something back. With all the help and guidance I've received on here. 
04 4x4 2500 Dark Gray
 03 Z71 Dark Gray Cladded

JV

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 23 queries.