Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Author Topic: What did you do to your Avalanche today?  (Read 962290 times)

MS03 2500

• CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member
Re: What did you do to your Avalanche today?
« Reply #4700 on: 06/28/18 07:05 PM »

Swapped the starter, old one was fighting me all the way. First time I ever had to use an impact wrench on the electrical studs.  ;D

2003 2500

frito

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
  • "I'll be your bumblebee buzzing around"
« Reply #4701 on: 06/29/18 03:48 AM »

I'll tell you what, the impact wrench and socket set is the best tool purchase I have ever made. It was freed so many bolts I would have otherwise rounded off or just not been able to get out.
Bumblebee - '03 Z71, FTDRL, All On High, Sail Panel LEDs, Bumper Cup Holders.  Decisions, Decisions...

No Tyme

• CAFCNA 2018 Supporting Member
« Reply #4702 on: 06/29/18 05:10 AM »

I'll tell you what, the impact wrench and socket set is the best tool purchase I have ever made. It was freed so many bolts I would have otherwise rounded off or just not been able to get out.

Agree, and cordless is the best. Picked up a cordless impact a couple of years ago and use it all the time. Great when swapping out winter and summer wheels.
2013 Avalanche LTZ Black Diamond Blue Topaz Metallic W/ Summit Performance level lift, Hollander 5308ís wrapped with 275 65 R 20ís Coper Discoverer HTPís, DZ TailGate assist, Sound Ordinance powered sub, AVS Vent Visors, Husky Liners, cool white interior LEDís, JDM Alstar backup lights.

Formerly 2005 Avalanche Z71 Silver Birch

enoniam

• LS Fest 2017
« Reply #4703 on: 06/29/18 05:32 AM »

I guess I should have bought a better cordless impact - I need to pull out my air-powered one to get my lug nuts loose.
2003 with ATK 460 HP 6.0, Speed Engineering Long Tube Headers and true dual 3" exhaust, Truetrac rear, 3200 Circle Stall, tranny upgraded with 4L65 and other heavy-duty parts, Weld Racing 18x10 forged wheels, HPTuners custom tune, Vortech supercharger, water/meth injection, Magnavolt fuel pump voltage booster, DeatschWerks booster fuel pump, 58#/hr injectors, 13.3 @ 101 in the quarter mile.

MS03 2500

« Reply #4704 on: 06/29/18 06:37 AM »

I guess I should have bought a better cordless impact - I need to pull out my air-powered one to get my lug nuts loose.

My little ryobi at 300 ft/lb will get most lug nuts off, except if some jack wagon at Sears used an impact to tighten them.
Then it's time for the Milwaukee at 1100 ft/lb, it's going to get it off or break the stud. That thing is a beast
2003 2500

JVZL1

• Looking For A Crew Cab Pick UP Drove An AVY
« Reply #4705 on: 07/03/18 11:24 AM »

Spent the last few days on final prep on the 03.
Cleaning inside & out, R&R cladding, and replaced radio buttons.
Went up on Craigslist and on site.
04 4x4 2500 Dark Gray
03 Z71 Dark Gray Cladded

JV

Alaska_AV.

• CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator
  • living the cold life
    • photo documentary mod site
« Reply #4706 on: 07/06/18 12:18 AM »

pulled blue from its temporary resting place '3 years' and washed on it 2 hours... needs some serious TLC   
First you'll lose your mind
and then any free cash laying around
Then mods will bloat your credit limits
You'll be like a crack addict, refinancing your home..
You'll cry yourself to sleep,stuff like, must get new rims.
Important questions like, polished or chrome. will shadow you daily

I'm Jon, and my Wife is an Avalanche widow..
Nationals 2007 and 2008 good times

http://alaskaav.mybru

No Tyme

« Reply #4707 on: 07/06/18 06:37 AM »

I put a shine on mine... and the Harley! Busy busy busy.
2013 Avalanche LTZ Black Diamond Blue Topaz Metallic W/ Summit Performance level lift, Hollander 5308ís wrapped with 275 65 R 20ís Coper Discoverer HTPís, DZ TailGate assist, Sound Ordinance powered sub, AVS Vent Visors, Husky Liners, cool white interior LEDís, JDM Alstar backup lights.

Z66Modder

• CAFCNA Regional Coordinator
  • Region V Area
« Reply #4708 on: 07/06/18 07:14 AM »

Looks good. I'ii be right over so you can shine mine too.

Old Avalanches don't Die, They just Go Faster

No Tyme

« Reply #4709 on: 07/06/18 02:37 PM »

:laugh:

Looks good. I'ii be right over so you can shine mine too.

:B:

Try2kup

« Reply #4710 on: 07/06/18 07:40 PM »

I changed all my fluids over to Amsoil products, always was curious about there products and have a co-worker that talked me into it. My new to me Avalanche now has 54,000 miles on it and have wanted to do this since I bought it 10 months ago. Spent about 2 hours for oil and filter, front and rear differentials and transfer case.
Early 2007 LTZ traded
2013 Silver BDE LTZ

Z66Modder

• Region V Area
« Reply #4711 on: 07/06/18 09:32 PM »

That's almost the mileage when I switched mine to full synthetic. It's now over 16 years old (born Sept. 2001) and still does not burn any oil. I have never had to add oil between oil charge periods and I go off the schedule built into the truck computer. On another note: it currently only has 135K miles but it is my daily commuter (except when it's great weather, then I take my 2013 2SS/RS V8 Camaro)  :4:  :drive:

Try2kup

« Reply #4712 on: 07/08/18 07:46 AM »

I just sold my Camaro, 2012 2SS/RS Convertible 45th Anniversary pkg, 6 speed manual, 1 of 248 with those exact options.
Miss it a little, wish the 56 would have sold instead but thats life. Will have to get another someday.
Early 2007 LTZ traded
2013 Silver BDE LTZ

Z66Modder

• Region V Area
« Reply #4713 on: 07/08/18 10:11 PM »

I just sold my Camaro, 2012 2SS/RS Convertible 45th Anniversary pkg, 6 speed manual, 1 of 248 with those exact options.
Miss it a little, wish the 56 would have sold instead but thats life. Will have to get another someday.
I've only had mind a year and I can't imagine life without it. I mod it almost weekly. Here is the latest: https://youtu.be/VdYgQOYtv1M

Today I changed my transmission's rear output seal again. I had a tiny little leak 7 weeks ago, so I changed it with one from Autozone. Today I move the truck and there is a 6" puddle. Not Happy! I parked it in the street and had in done in 30 minutes. I'm getting too much experience doing this kind of crap. At least the seal has a one year warranty and I can get my money back.

Duneit

• CAFCNA 2004 Supporting Member
  • Never Stop Exploring
« Reply #4714 on: 07/09/18 04:55 AM »

Swapped the starter, old one was fighting me all the way. First time I ever had to use an impact wrench on the electrical studs.  ;D

Was that the original? My 02 is still the original. 16 yrs +
2002 NFE, NO SHOW and NO GO. Just an AV.

MS03 2500

« Reply #4715 on: 07/09/18 08:32 AM »

Was that the original? My 02 is still the original. 16 yrs +

Yes sir it is +15, I smoked it about 18 months ago and it caused a parasitic drain and would not start if the voltage dropped below 11 volts.  No more battery drain for me. :thumbsup:
2003 2500

ken38088

• I love the Chevy Avalanche
« Reply #4716 on: 07/20/18 08:34 AM »

getting it ready to sell

Z66Modder

• Region V Area
« Reply #4717 on: 07/20/18 10:50 PM »

getting it ready to sell

I'm still on the one from September 2001, I guess they don't make them any more like they used to.

Try2kup

« Reply #4718 on: 07/21/18 02:51 PM »

In stalled a new radiator.  My new to me 2013 with 54,000 miles was leaking were the tubes go into the side aluminum. Dealer would do nothing.  Radiator shop could not believe the poor quality.  Just like posted earlier "They don't make things like they used to!" :E:
Early 2007 LTZ traded
2013 Silver BDE LTZ

MS03 2500

« Reply #4719 on: 07/21/18 04:35 PM »

Transmission filter Fun Times.  :thumbdown:
2003 2500

EXT4ME

• ... I saw a DEADHEAD sticker on a Cadillac ...
« Reply #4720 on: 07/21/18 06:51 PM »

I didn't have to do anything to the truck today because (knock on wood), for the moment, nothing needs fixing.

:thumbsup:
2004 Cadillac Escalade EXT, White Diamond, New Shale front seat leather from The Seat Shop. WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit. Powerflow Pro-Fit Splash Guards. Arnott/Bilstein front shocks and rear air shocks with Arnott air compressor kit. Refinish Restorer. SeaFoam. Goodyear (Now Continental) Gatorback belts. Goodyear Assurance CS TripleTred All-Seasons.

No Tyme

« Reply #4721 on: 07/21/18 08:00 PM »

Actually did this just a couple of days ago but I thought I would share.
First my 13 AV has been with me for 6 months now, just over 70,000 miles. I have been averaging 15.3 to 15.5 mpg consistently after numerous resets. Not having a history of service I installed a new air filter and fresh oil, when I brought it home. Nothing really wrong with my AV I just like to keep my vehicles serviced to avoid problems.
This week I took the time to pull the air filter cover and install an oiless air filter by AEM and sprayed the MAF with cleaner. I also wanted to clean the throttle body, so I pulled the tube and used a toothbrush and throttle body cleaner. I turned the key on and placed a stick between the pedal and seat to open the throttle body. I worked a good 15 minutes as it was pretty dirty.
Fast forward to today... Only 50 miles so far but I reset my mpg on the DIC twice and I am seeing 16.4 to 16.7 average mpg.
I will also say I believe I am hearing a deeper throttle roar, but haven't really put my foot into it which leads me to believe the engine is getting more air. I AM LIKING IT!

redheadedrod

• CAFCNA 2017 Supporting Member
  • 2003 Z71
« Reply #4722 on: 07/22/18 08:46 AM »

When using AMSoil to replace your motor oil I strongly suggest making use of an oil testing lab to insure your not harming your engine. Motor oil has a variety of engine protectants in it that wear out or get used up over time. Any time you want to push your truck past the original oil change frequency you need to insure your not damaging your engine by testing the oil.

The oil testing places are very cheap from what I have heard and they can tell you if your oil is maintaining it protective properties. I would still suggest changing the oil filter on a regular interval followed by topping off your oil level. Even AMSoil can't extend the life of your oil filter.. It filters the crap out of your system and nothing magical about that.

With proper testing of the oil periodically you can insure that the extended life oil such as AMSoil is not damaging your engine. Do NOT go by what they suggest or you could find yourself complaining about the cost of replacing your engine... The damages done by losing those protectants in the oil are not something that happen right away but over time.

Personally, especially after going to a 2 day Lubrication class and reading the Motor Oil article someone posted on a different forum I am on, I would NEVER run an extended life oil in a gas or diesel engine. I would only run them in a Propane or CNG engine. But for anyone that does... Do your engine a favor and have the oil tested to insure the oil is still working as intended. At least until you can verify the average longevity of the oil in your vehicle. Personally, if $30 in materials and 30 minutes of my time every 6,000 miles saves me from a new engine I am more than willing to do it... Not going to spend $50 on those same materials to be able to extend out to 20,000 miles on a promise. Not worth it to me. Also, from the lubrication class and the demonstration of how different the same viscosity of Synthetic to Dyno oil flow... I probably will always use Synthetic  even if it makes me change gaskets more often due to it flowing better... Again cheap insurance against loosing the engine or shortening its life...
2003 Cladded Black Z71 - PC installed otherwise mostly stock.
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal
All on high and FTDRL (BCM friendly version)

bookish

« Reply #4723 on: 07/22/18 11:17 AM »

Speaking of oil analysis, Blackstone labs https://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php came highly recommended from the aviation industry. I've used them several times since I am a little paranoid about a tiny mysterious coolant leak. Good people. Significant additional peace-of-mind for $28 a shot.

Please note: Since engines, oils, and histories vary so much, I'm told that oil analysis's real value is spotting changes over time.

ckeene

• Keene USA Goods
« Reply #4724 on: 07/22/18 12:03 PM »

Shipped my 05 2500 back to AL . If only I was going with it!!!
05 2500 8.1 with a few goodies
www.KeeneUSAGoods.com  where you can buy American made products!!!
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 187 188 [189] 190 191 192   Go Up

Page created in 0.377 seconds with 23 queries.