Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 ... 198 199 200 201 [202] 203 204   Go Down

Author Topic: What did you do to your Avalanche today?  (Read 1016755 times)

BainMan

• Send it!
Re: What did you do to your Avalanche today?
« Reply #5025 on: August 6, 2019, 14:28:45 PM »

Dang salt on the roads... While crawling under the truck so many times this weekend I found a little rust starting to bubble under the paint on the bottom of the rear driver-side door too...
2010 LTZ, bone stock 5.3

frito

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
  • "I'll be your bumblebee buzzing around"
« Reply #5026 on: August 6, 2019, 17:27:11 PM »

Yeah, I'm starting to get some at the bottom of my doors too.  My spare tire is shot and the rear driver side bump stop actually is missing.  I'm thinking of hitting it with fluid film or something comparable before winter this year to at least try to slow it down until I can afford a full makeover.
Bumblebee - '03 Z71, FTDRL, All On High, Sail Panel LEDs, Bumper Cup Holders.  Decisions, Decisions...

JVZL1

• CAFCNA 2019 Premium Member
  • Looking For A Crew Cab Pick UP Drove An AVY
« Reply #5027 on: August 15, 2019, 17:02:49 PM »

Remove the saddlebag lid.  :o :E:  :needhug:

Wish me luck. 
  I'm sending the lid with a seal still attached and a seal that has fallen off.
I've been in contact with Steele Rubber Products. They are interested in making the seals.
If they do I'll get a set for free.    :woohoo:

Or they just send everything back.  :6:

Well I looked on here and You Tube first. Went out to do it.  :P

I guess if you need the hinge to go with the lid.
Boom six bolt and off.   :laugh:

« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 18:27:17 PM by JVZL1 »
04 4x4 2500 Dark Gray

JV

frito

« Reply #5028 on: August 15, 2019, 18:38:45 PM »

Cool.  Let us know how it goes.  I'd buy a set of the produce it and it doesn't break the bank.
Bumblebee - '03 Z71, FTDRL, All On High, Sail Panel LEDs, Bumper Cup Holders.  Decisions, Decisions...

ygmn

• Administrator
  • Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .
« Reply #5029 on: August 16, 2019, 02:29:56 AM »

awesome and make sure they know original ones shrunk and fall out of the groove.

I would get a set.
Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

JVZL1

« Reply #5030 on: August 16, 2019, 10:57:14 AM »

awesome and make sure they know original ones shrunk and fall out of the groove.

I would get a set.

I'm sending a lid with a seal attached and a seal that fell out.
04 4x4 2500 Dark Gray

JV

JVZL1

« Reply #5031 on: August 17, 2019, 23:21:51 PM »

Well the lid and seals are in shipment.
They let me know it could take eight months. The R&D have a lot on their plates.

I asked if Steele Rubber Products would be interested in being a site sponsor.
She told me she would pass it on and get back to me.

04 4x4 2500 Dark Gray

JV

JVZL1

« Reply #5032 on: August 17, 2019, 23:27:07 PM »

Iím not sure if this the right forum.

I would like to get a list of members that would be interested in the seals.
Maybe sending them a number of interested members would help on the site sponsor.

04 4x4 2500 Dark Gray

JV

ygmn

• Administrator
  • Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .
« Reply #5033 on: August 18, 2019, 05:46:44 AM »

I’m not sure if this the right forum.

I would like to get a list of members that would be interested in the seals.
Maybe sending them a number of interested members would help on the site sponsor.

Start thread in problem exterior section.

If they are interested have them join up and send me a PM
Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

EXT4ME

• ... I saw a DEADHEAD sticker on a Cadillac ...
« Reply #5034 on: August 18, 2019, 07:05:20 AM »

Gave the EXT a good cleaning and checked out everything I could think of in preparation for an upcoming road trip down to the Gulf Coast.

So far, so good.

:thumbsup:
2004 Cadillac Escalade EXT, White Diamond, New Shale front seat leather from The Seat Shop. WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit. Powerflow Pro-Fit Splash Guards. Arnott/Bilstein front shocks and rear air shocks with Arnott air compressor kit. Refinish Restorer. SeaFoam. Goodyear (Now Continental) Gatorback belts. Goodyear Assurance CS TripleTred All-Seasons.

Vaeagleav

• The Avalanche just keeps getting better!
« Reply #5035 on: August 18, 2019, 08:14:34 AM »

Well the lid and seals are in shipment.
They let me know it could take eight months. The R&D have a lot on their plates.

I asked if Steele Rubber Products would be interested in being a site sponsor.
She told me she would pass it on and get back to me.

I hope Steele Rubber Products knows about all the seals have that could need replacing on the aging fleet of AVs and EXTs on the road such as midgate seals and bed panel seals that aren't on a Silverado or Suburban type of vehicle. It could be a nice bit of revenue for them and a great source of replacement seals. I know they have full kits for specific vehicles as well as just individual seals and a kit would be nice eventually for some owner who does a frame off full blown restoration.
2008 Z71 Silver Birch 
2004 Z71 Silver Birch before that.

EXT4ME

« Reply #5036 on: August 18, 2019, 08:22:30 AM »

One part of my preparations for a long road trip is to make sure I can get the spare tire down.

This reminded me to tell you all to make time to not only make sure your spare tire hoist is functioning properly and the secondary latch opens as it should, but make sure you understand how the hoist disconnects from the spare tire wheel.

It had been quite some time since I had the spare down and off of the hoist and it took a bit of time to get the spare tire free.

Luckily for me, rust is not an issue where I live and the entire hoist functions just as well as it did when the truck was new.

The secondary latch was rust free and functioned as designed.

As I was working to get the spare off of the hoist, I kept thinking how this would not be a job that I would want to struggle with on the side of a busy highway.

I would want to get the spare off as quickly as possible.

I am glad I took the opportunity to work through this process out on my driveway this morning.

One tip is make sure you crank down the hoist cable as far as it will go.

With the cable all the way out, the spare tire is almost all of the way behind the rear bumper and it makes the process go much easier.

The hoist and secondary latch are now lubed and tested and I once again am familiar with the procedure to get the spare off of the hoist cable.

If you have some spare time and are looking for something to do, drop that spare and make sure everything is working properly and you know how to get the spare off of the hoist cable.

Better now than out on the side of a rainy, busy highway some night.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 08:27:04 AM by EXT4ME »
2004 Cadillac Escalade EXT, White Diamond, New Shale front seat leather from The Seat Shop. WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit. Powerflow Pro-Fit Splash Guards. Arnott/Bilstein front shocks and rear air shocks with Arnott air compressor kit. Refinish Restorer. SeaFoam. Goodyear (Now Continental) Gatorback belts. Goodyear Assurance CS TripleTred All-Seasons.

JVZL1

« Reply #5037 on: August 18, 2019, 11:12:34 AM »

I hope Steele Rubber Products knows about all the seals have that could need replacing on the aging fleet of AVs and EXTs on the road such as midgate seals and bed panel seals that aren't on a Silverado or Suburban type of vehicle. It could be a nice bit of revenue for them and a great source of replacement seals. I know they have full kits for specific vehicles as well as just individual seals and a kit would be nice eventually for some owner who does a frame off full blown restoration.

Would not hurt to ask. I'll shoot them an email.
04 4x4 2500 Dark Gray

JV

frito

« Reply #5038 on: August 18, 2019, 17:28:29 PM »

If you have some spare time and are looking for something to do, drop that spare and make sure everything is working properly and you know how to get the spare off of the hoist cable.

Better now than out on the side of a rainy, busy highway some night.

I would, but my spare is so rusty it doesn't even hold air.   ::)

Realigned my Snug-top rear glass.  The latches wouldn't close all the way, now they do.  Also investigated the dripping on the passenger floor.  I'm 99% certain it's the AC drain tube as it leaked on my wife's foot coming back from WI when it wasn't raining.  I found the drain in the engine compartment and the blasted thing was angled up vs. down.  :beating:  Some water came out as soon as I pulled it off so hopefully it's just that simple.

EXT4ME

« Reply #5039 on: August 18, 2019, 18:25:07 PM »

I would, but my spare is so rusty it doesn't even hold air.   ::)

Realigned my Snug-top rear glass.  The latches wouldn't close all the way, now they do.  Also investigated the dripping on the passenger floor.  I'm 99% certain it's the AC drain tube as it leaked on my wife's foot coming back from WI when it wasn't raining.  I found the drain in the engine compartment and the blasted thing was angled up vs. down.  :beating:  Some water came out as soon as I pulled it off so hopefully it's just that simple.

My spare appears to be the original from back in 2004.

It doesn't appear to have ever been installed on the truck.

It holds air just fine, but I probably wouldn't trust more than to get me to the nearest tire store.

Good find on the a/c drain.

I hope that solves your issue.

BainMan

• Send it!
« Reply #5040 on: August 22, 2019, 06:42:20 AM »

Ordered valve cover gaskets.. Slight drivers side leak, not enough to hit the driveway but enough to make a messy trail down the block and pan. 1.5 quarts low after 5 months and 5,000 miles, i'll see what difference the gasket makes.
2010 LTZ, bone stock 5.3

MS03 2500

• CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member
« Reply #5041 on: August 22, 2019, 06:56:58 AM »

5,000 miles between oil changes, you may want to rethink that.
2003 2500

No Tyme

• CAFCNA 2018 Supporting Member
« Reply #5042 on: August 22, 2019, 07:13:11 AM »

5,000 miles between oil changes, you may want to rethink that.

I agree. The oil at the dealership I've been told is now full synthetic but after 3K or 3.5K I see my oil pressure start to drop. They also went back to using the longer filters to help with pressure drop. 82,400 and counting on the clock.
2013 Avalanche LTZ Black Diamond Blue Topaz Metallic W/ Summit Performance level lift, Hollander 5308ís wrapped with 275 65 R 20ís Coper Discoverer HTPís, DZ TailGate assist, Sound Ordinance powered sub, AVS Vent Visors, Firestone Air Springs, Husky Liners, cool white interior LEDís, JDM Alstar backup lights.

Formerly 2005 Avalanche Z71 Silver Birch

BainMan

• Send it!
« Reply #5043 on: August 22, 2019, 08:07:22 AM »

The dash indicator says I'm still at 34% remaining after 4,700 miles. The manual says to change every 7,500 (if needed) and that's with a synthetic blend. I know these must be taken with a grain of salt, but thought I was being safe at 5k. You guys are going by the 3,000 mile change interval? I've never sent a sample to Blackstone, but I'm running on the assumption (perhaps poorly, but with a bit of research on bobistheoilguy.com) that Full Synthetic Valvoline has life left at 5,000 mile change intervals. I won't let it get 1.5 quarts low anymore, but that's a different issue.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 08:09:43 AM by BainMan »
2010 LTZ, bone stock 5.3

MS03 2500

• CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member
« Reply #5044 on: August 22, 2019, 08:20:40 AM »

3,000 miles max, with the way they recycle oil just filter it and add additives now a days.

Pull out the dipstick after 3,000 miles and see what color is it and how dirty it is plus you have a AFM engine.
2003 2500

frito

« Reply #5045 on: August 22, 2019, 08:22:30 AM »

I've been changing all our rides at 5,000 mile intervals using full synthetics for years, topping off as needed in between of course.  My 325i has 221,000 miles on it while our Suzuki XL7 has around 210,000 miles.  Both continue to go strong.  I couldn't bring myself to the 7,500 mile intervals.  Bumblebee has 178,000 miles but I bought it with 109,000 so I can't speak to history prior to our ownership.

EXT4ME

« Reply #5046 on: August 22, 2019, 08:31:34 AM »

I change mine at around 5% left on the DIC.

That is usually between 7500-7800 miles.

The engine has 231K on it now.

I don't see any good reason to change what I am doing now.

If my engine was an AFM engine, I am sure I would think differently.

Mobil 1 5W-30 and a NAPA (WIX) Platinum oil filter with no oil additives (except one fateful time and never, ever again) gets the job done for me.

BainMan

• Send it!
« Reply #5047 on: August 22, 2019, 08:42:52 AM »

Well now I must know the story EXT4ME, what oil additive did you try and what was your fate?
2010 LTZ, bone stock 5.3

EXT4ME

« Reply #5048 on: August 22, 2019, 10:50:54 AM »

Well now I must know the story EXT4ME, what oil additive did you try and what was your fate?

I have debated on whether or not to create a thread about my experiences with this product.

There are those that swear by this product, including one of my mechanics.

I used it one time based upon his recommendation.

After he saw first hand what was inside my oil pan, he now has second thoughts and will not recommend this product to any other customers.

Maybe one of these days, I will sit down and compose my thread.

Until then, you will just have these two pictures to ponder over.

I am still quite disturbed by what we saw and I thank my lucky stars we took off the oil pan when we did to install my new oil pump.

I just recently had the first oil change done since we had replaced the oil pump and we ran a bore scope up into the oil drain hole to make sure everything was clean, and as it should be.

Thanks goodness we saw no more of this gelatinous goop.

EXT4ME

« Reply #5049 on: August 22, 2019, 11:03:04 AM »

Now, on a cheerier note, I am like many others that have an older truck that we have to battle to keep them looking their best.

One of the items I have wanted to address is the material on the sun roof sun shade has begun to droop in a few areas.

It is not too terribly bad, but it has been getting worse over the past year or so.

Finding a decent replacement has been a difficult task.

Most of them out there are in as bad or worse shape than the one I already have.

I had begun to think my only option was going to be take the original one out and figure out how to recover it.

That was until I stumbled across an eBay ad where the seller claimed to have 1 shale interior, refurbished sun shade for my series truck.

I went ahead and jumped on it and it hit my door yesterday.

I was pleasantly surprised to find it was indeed, practically perfect.

So, I spent the morning taking out the old shade and installing my new shade.

It's not quite as easy a task as I had hoped, but I managed to get the job done without destroying anything else.

I'll call this one a win.

Pages: 1 ... 198 199 200 201 [202] 203 204   Go Up

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 23 queries.