Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 ... 189 190 191 192 [193]   Go Down

Author Topic: What did you do to your Avalanche today?  (Read 971354 times)

Blazerteam

• 2003 Z71.
Re: What did you do to your Avalanche today?
« Reply #4800 on: 11/21/18 01:34 PM »

Pop that piece of cladding off so you can see the entire extent of the damage, although you may not like what you find in there. Been there, done that.

Been digging today.Glad i did this now,and not later..would have been so much worse
2003 Z71 with 102000 miles.

Blazerteam

• 2003 Z71.
« Reply #4801 on: 11/21/18 01:42 PM »

Heres the backside of the panel,that holds the cladding.Also found a plastic plate inside there,that really acts like a rustimprover.If there is some water that leaks inside here,this plate will hold the water and mud trapped..and just why we have these rust problems in this area.

Blazerteam

• 2003 Z71.
« Reply #4802 on: 11/21/18 01:48 PM »

The rust improver plate.

frito

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
  • "I'll be your bumblebee buzzing around"
« Reply #4803 on: 11/21/18 07:14 PM »

If it's coming thru the seals try Marine RTV sealant
I may have to go that route.  The backer rod only worked on the tailgate seal.  I couldn't get it through any of the others.  I tried soapy water as lube to no avail.  I was figuring it would work similar to the suggested fix for pinching of the midgate seal.

I had to do the seal on panel 1 a second time because I dorked it up by I stalling it upside down.  Created one heck of a sticky mess that took forever to clean and re-prep.   :E:. Going to let it cure overnight and tomorrow the put them one Friday or Saturday.  Wish me luck, otherwise I'm looking at $400 in seals or relegated to keeping the Snugtop on which is not too feasible for getting a plantable Christmas tree.
Bumblebee - '03 Z71, FTDRL, All On High, Sail Panel LEDs, Bumper Cup Holders.  Decisions, Decisions...

frito

« Reply #4804 on: 11/21/18 07:16 PM »

Been digging today.Glad i did this now,and not later..would have been so much worse
Oiy, I'm afraid to think what might e might look like.
Bumblebee - '03 Z71, FTDRL, All On High, Sail Panel LEDs, Bumper Cup Holders.  Decisions, Decisions...

MS03 2500

• CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member
« Reply #4805 on: 11/21/18 10:31 PM »

I may have to go that route.  The backer rod only worked on the tailgate seal.  I couldn't get it through any of the others.  I tried soapy water as lube to no avail.  I was figuring it would work similar to the suggested fix for pinching of the midgate seal.

I had to do the seal on panel 1 a second time because I dorked it up by I stalling it upside down.  Created one heck of a sticky mess that took forever to clean and re-prep.   :E:. Going to let it cure overnight and tomorrow the put them one Friday or Saturday.  Wish me luck, otherwise I'm looking at $400 in seals or relegated to keeping the Snugtop on which is not too feasible for getting a plantable Christmas tree.

Its the only way to stop leaks, since its made to Boats under the water level.
I did mine in 2016 no hint of a leak, just buy a lot of it.  :laugh:
2003 2500

frito

« Reply #4806 on: 11/22/18 06:48 AM »

Its the only way to stop leaks, since its made to Boats under the water level.
I did mine in 2016 no hint of a leak, just buy a lot of it.  :laugh:
So how much is a lot?  If this doesn't work I'll give that ago before I drop the money on new seals.  At least it will be dry and easier to peel away than yesterday's wet, sticky mess. 

Guess I outta move my posts to the leaking bed panel thread so as not to  :jacked: this one.

frito

« Reply #4807 on: 11/23/18 03:38 PM »

Well not today, but this past week anyway, I ordered and installed these yellow LED fog lights https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CTMSUT4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.  I've had a pair on my Bimmer for a year or two now and absolutely love them.  They are bright, but not too bright, and have a nice wide throw to see the sides of the road without blinding oncoming traffic.

Daytime front shot:

Night time front shot:

Looking ahead with just parking lights:

Looking ahead with parking lights and fog lights:

I also hit my bed panels and upper cladding with Boiled Linseed Oil.  It lasts as long as the one time I tried Refinish Restorer at a GTG but only costs five bucks a can. 

Wrapped up the bed panel seals too.  It's supposed to rain tomorrow so I'll see if it did any good or not.

No Tyme

• CAFCNA 2018 Supporting Member
« Reply #4808 on: 11/23/18 03:58 PM »

Hello down I 75 from up here. I never seen Boiled Linseed Oil used this way. I am gonna have to try it as you are correct, Refinish Restorer is expensive. I have used nextzett 91480615 'Gummi Pflege Stift' Rubber Care Stick on the bed seals and still get a bit of moisture in heavy rain or no touch car washes.
2013 Avalanche LTZ Black Diamond Blue Topaz Metallic W/ Summit Performance level lift, Hollander 5417ís wrapped with 275 65 R 20ís Blizzaks, AVS Vent Visors, Husky Liners, cool white interior LEDís, JDM Alstar backup lights & Phillips Crystal Vision Ultras headlight and fog.

Formerly 2005 Avalanche Z71 Silver Birch

tsac

« Reply #4809 on: 11/23/18 04:01 PM »

Spent the afternoon tracing the center stop lite wiring that seems to have opened and shut off the lite. Nope not the fuse. # 49 on the fuse block
2013 Black diamond LTZ

MS03 2500

« Reply #4810 on: 11/23/18 04:38 PM »

I glanced down at the ole speedo while running around today. I guess I must have been in a hurry.

2003 2500

tsac

« Reply #4811 on: 11/23/18 04:43 PM »

Wow!! I don't think I would have tried to take a pic. at that speed.
2013 Black diamond LTZ

frito

« Reply #4812 on: 11/23/18 05:16 PM »

Hello down I 75 from up here. I never seen Boiled Linseed Oil used this way. I am gonna have to try it as you are correct, Refinish Restorer is expensive. I have used nextzett 91480615 'Gummi Pflege Stift' Rubber Care Stick on the bed seals and still get a bit of moisture in heavy rain or no touch car washes.
My old next door neighbor owns a "Bumper Man" franchise that refreshes cars for car lots.  When the Bumblebee was fairly new to me, he came over with a can, told me about it and demonstrated it.  A year or two later I tried Refinish Restorer at a National GTG and the results were essentially the same.  Both last about the same amount of time too.  I really should apply it once a week for a month or so since I've let my cladding really go downhill. 

Just make sure to soak your rags in water afterwards and then let them dry out before discarding them.  My wife's house almost burned down when she was a child from some linseed oil soaked rags that began to spontaneously combust.

tsac

« Reply #4813 on: 11/23/18 05:33 PM »

Linseed oil, also called flaxseed oil, can spontaneously combust and start incredibly dangerous fires. Might be wise to be very cautious.
2013 Black diamond LTZ

frito

« Reply #4814 on: 11/23/18 06:09 PM »

I glanced down at the ole speedo while running around today. I guess I must have been in a hurry.

You best make sure your radar detector is working.   :laugh: :drive:

MS03 2500

« Reply #4815 on: 11/23/18 06:42 PM »

You best make sure your radar detector is working.   :laugh: :drive:

Yep the stepper motor FUBARED  it's stuck at 110 MPH notice the  RPM is at idle. When it's driving the needle goes straight down. I'm going to take it apart and push the needle back to zero,
2003 2500

frito

« Reply #4816 on: 11/23/18 07:20 PM »

Yep the stepper motor FUBARED  it's stuck at 110 MPH notice the  RPM is at idle. When it's driving the needle goes straight down. I'm going to take it apart and push the needle back to zero,
Yeah, I noticed that.  What a PITA.

tsac

« Reply #4817 on: 11/24/18 06:51 PM »

Maybe the Av thinks it's going that fast :cool:
2013 Black diamond LTZ

spidey

• "On the Ranch" by Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #4818 on: 12/06/18 08:22 AM »

Fixed my blower motor last night.  The last while its had a mind of its own.  One time would run, next time it wouldnt.  Slam a door it would run.  Start it not run, drive, suddenly start.

I noticed on the lower speeds you could hear a ticking.  I thought it might be a loose connection, since it seemed to be off and on.  Wasnt a fuse issue.

last night after work it wouldnt start at all, and its cold, so it was either look into fixing it, or take it in and get it fixed.  So Youtubed some info.

After I got the shroud off, and some testing it seemed to work when I moved the bottom some, so like it was caught.

These are twist style, so one I got it out, could see some crud build up near the bottom.  Was able to clean it, tighten up the lower shroud bolts come so the blower portion cleared better, and good as new. 

At least if the blower fan ever dies I know how to replace it now
Silver Ice 2012 LT - Bought June 9, 2012, 240kms

Chrome antenna Chrome AVS bug/rock hood guard
DeeZee tailgate assist hydraulic LED Hitch step
Console organizer Weathertech window vent visors (smoke)
Weathertech floormats (front & rear) Embossed chrome door sill plates
Putco Liquid Spider Web grill insert Chrome lettered license plate frame
Bowtie license plate cover Helo rims/Goodyear Wranglers
Putco tail light chrome trim Chev stamped muffler tip
Bushwacker fender flares Gatorback mud flaps
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 191 192 [193]   Go Up

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 24 queries.