Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Author Topic: What did you do to your Avalanche today?  (Read 998256 times)

JWMMPM and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

old skool

Re: What did you do to your Avalanche today?
« Reply #4875 on: February 15, 2019, 19:17:22 PM »

My XM radio lost its mind every channel said XM preview, although it worked fine last night.
Had to logon from the laptop to get it refreshed then it started working again, then slowly all the preset channels came back. I hope its not a sign of things to come.
Have had that happen...usually just takes a refresh like you said, for them to all come back.
Ebony 2007 LS

MS03 2500

• CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member
« Reply #4876 on: February 15, 2019, 21:27:59 PM »

I was surprised when I saw it was on a AM station which I had never programed since I have owned the AV.

Then I thought am I going to have to reprogram all my preset. whew
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 21:30:56 PM by MS03 2500 »
2003 2500

EXT4ME

• CAFCNA 2019 Premium Member
  • ... I saw a DEADHEAD sticker on a Cadillac ...
« Reply #4877 on: February 20, 2019, 14:52:13 PM »

What a day.

So, back in December, I had an upper control arm and some other things replaced on the EXT.

After getting the suspension parts installed, I drove down the street to my tire shop and got a front end alignment.

I was going to get a balance and rotate, but they were too busy and I didn't really think it was worth my time, at the moment.

I'd schedule a time to do it before the summer travel season.

Fast forward to a week or so ago and I thought I was hearing something going on up in the passenger side front suspension.

While backing out of my daughter's driveway, I heard a pop and the steering began to feel like it was wondering a little bit while driving straight down the road.

I made an appointment with my mechanic to toss the truck up on the lift and see what was going on.

When we raised the truck, the passenger front wheel had an odd lean and was moving around way too much.

We found the rear bolt on the upper control arm had backed out and the whole upper control arm could be moved.

Not good.

My mechanic tightened everything back up and I headed back down to the tire shop to have the truck re-aligned.

The tire shop agreed to address the alignment at no charge.

They are known for taking good care of their customers and I am good with that.

That's why I keep going back.

I told them I also wanted to pay to get the balance and rotate done so I could take that off of my to-do list.

We set up an appointment for 8:00 the next morning to get everything done at once.

The next morning, I was halfway there when the service writer called and told me the alignment tech had a "mishap" and was not coming in today and could we reschedule for the next morning.

No biggie, so I agreed.

The next morning (today) I showed up and they took my truck back into the alignment bay and did the work.

I'm sitting in the waiting room and I can see my truck being moved in and out of the lot and I see the alignment tech go for a test drive.

Afterwards, my truck was pulled out onto the small parking lot and waited for the tire tech to perform my balance and rotate.

The tech came and got my truck and did his work on it.

We are moving right along and pretty soon, the tire tech backs my truck into one of the open parking spots and heads to the front counter with the paperwork.

This is a process I am familiar with.

What I am not familiar with is the two service writers and the tire tech heading back out the door and going over to have a look at my truck.

Soon, one of the service writers comes and gets me.

The tire tech had backed my EXT into another customer's sports car.

That guy now has a nice long White Diamond tri-coat paint smear about a foot or so down his otherwise perfect driver's side rear quarter panel.

I have a pretty good blueish smear down my driver's side rear bumper and a good size divot in the rear right in front of the outer rear bumper and below the tail light, about the size of half a grapefruit.

The poor tire tech was about to loose it, but I calmed him down and told him stuff happens and not to sweat it.

As you can imagine, they are paying for the bodywork, without question.

I have already met with the body shop and have my appointment to get the truck fixed.

Now, before everyone rags on the tire shop, they are one of the best around and I will continue to use them for all of my tire needs.

Stuff happens and everything will be alright.

But still, damn.

:E:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 14:55:35 PM by EXT4ME »
2004 Cadillac Escalade EXT, White Diamond, New Shale front seat leather from The Seat Shop. WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit. Powerflow Pro-Fit Splash Guards. Arnott/Bilstein front shocks and rear air shocks with Arnott air compressor kit. Refinish Restorer. SeaFoam. Goodyear (Now Continental) Gatorback belts. Goodyear Assurance CS TripleTred All-Seasons.

Z66Modder

• CAFCNA Regional Coordinator
  • Region V Area
« Reply #4878 on: February 20, 2019, 20:36:45 PM »

These trucks have a limited rear view area as we all know, very easy for a new driver to have a mishap. I have a backup camera in mine to help. I also have one in my 2013 Camaro SS as well, and without it the rear viewing area is worse than my Avalanche.

Well at least you get some fresh paint.  :damon:  :D

Old Avalanches don't Die, They just Go Faster

MS03 2500

« Reply #4879 on: February 20, 2019, 22:16:38 PM »

That's one reason I don't back into parking spots.
2003 2500

EXT4ME

« Reply #4880 on: February 21, 2019, 03:50:35 AM »

That's one reason I don't back into parking spots.

Me, too.

:thumbsup:
2004 Cadillac Escalade EXT, White Diamond, New Shale front seat leather from The Seat Shop. WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit. Powerflow Pro-Fit Splash Guards. Arnott/Bilstein front shocks and rear air shocks with Arnott air compressor kit. Refinish Restorer. SeaFoam. Goodyear (Now Continental) Gatorback belts. Goodyear Assurance CS TripleTred All-Seasons.

EXT4ME

« Reply #4881 on: February 23, 2019, 05:37:03 AM »

Installed a new OEM windshield wiper motor and a new left corner cowl trim piece because the old one's tabs snapped off when I removed it.

Lubed up all of the plastic contact pieces on the wiper transmission.

The Dorman cowl trim pieces fit nicely, but you have to tweak the hold down tabs a bit as they come to you a little too flat.

Installed new windshield wipers on both the EXT and the Acadia.

All of that should keep my billfold nice and empty for a little while.

Bigtrucklover

« Reply #4882 on: February 25, 2019, 17:15:41 PM »

Upgraded the tires to 275/65R18s (from 265) a couple weeks ago.  No rubbing even with the 2/2 drop she's had for some time (although it's really tight).

Also added Airlift bags this past weekend for future load capacity (air up as needed).
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 17:26:20 PM by Bigtrucklover »
BD with Diablosport Tuner, SLP resonator delete, Airaid Jr. CAI, 2" Belltech drop, TrueTrac, and 2015 Silverado Z71 wheels/tires.

EXT4ME

« Reply #4883 on: March 6, 2019, 08:31:31 AM »

Well, I am hoping we have FINALLY found the last of the noises coming from the right front suspension on my EXT.

Over the past several months we have chased down noises and replaced several worn parts of the front right suspension.

Each time work was done, it would appear that the noise we worked on had been addressed.

But, in short order, a new, but not always the same as before, noise would appear.

Since we are about to head off to Dallas for a few days, I wanted to make sure everything was tight since I did not want any problems out on the road.

So, this morning my two mechanics and myself tossed the EXT back up the rack and went over anything and everything possible.

Every nut and bolt we could find was checked and re-tightened as needed.

We pried and shook on everything and listened for noises.

Finally, one of the mechanics took a mallet and began to tap on things from the front of the truck toward the rear.

Something was making a noise and now we just had to track it down. 

Finally, he located, what we believe was source of the noise.

The adjusting bolt on the right side torsion bar was ever so slightly looser than the left side.

He tightened the bolt, dropped the EXT to the ground, and measured to make sure the truck was level across the front.

I took the truck out and drove it all over the place and the noise is now gone!

I hope this is the last one.

Noises like that, ones that come and go, drive me crazy.

Let's all cross our fingers.

MS03 2500

« Reply #4884 on: March 11, 2019, 10:10:21 AM »

I washed the winter funk off it.
2003 2500

EXT4ME

« Reply #4885 on: March 11, 2019, 11:33:34 AM »

Got back yesterday from seeing Bob Seger at The Ford Center at the Star in Frisco, TX on Saturday night.

Concert was great.

EXT ran great.

Truck is now in the body shop to get the damage mentioned elsewhere fixed.

This week is starting out good.

Z66Modder

• CAFCNA Regional Coordinator
  • Region V Area
« Reply #4886 on: March 11, 2019, 21:15:28 PM »

I washed the winter funk off it.

Tried that, Winter came right back and it snowed.

Old Avalanches don't Die, They just Go Faster

MS03 2500

« Reply #4887 on: March 11, 2019, 22:05:12 PM »

Tried that, Winter came right back and it snowed.

I know winter is not done yet, but 3 days of 40 degrees weather had to do it. I remember they had quarter car washes now it's 2 dollars and the machines accepts credit cards.
2003 2500

JVZL1

• Looking For A Crew Cab Pick UP Drove An AVY
« Reply #4888 on: March 18, 2019, 19:46:33 PM »

I know winter is not done yet, but 3 days of 40 degrees weather had to do it. I remember they had quarter car washes now it's 2 dollars and the machines accepts credit cards.

Old school quarter drops the time runs out. Pause put more quarters in.
The first time pulled in to hose down the Avy. Swipe card so when dose the time run out. Maybe stuck Ill just keep going.  :4:
This has gone for a long time. Over to check $11 and still going.  :o How do you stop this thing? O turn it off.  :laugh:
04 4x4 2500 Dark Gray

JV

EXT4ME

« Reply #4889 on: March 19, 2019, 03:12:26 AM »

I got the EXT back from the body shop.

Looks great.

I didn't realize how much I needed my truck until it was gone for a week.

Now, to get caught up.

EXT4ME

« Reply #4890 on: March 19, 2019, 17:51:00 PM »

Replaced my old dash cam with a new dash cam.

No Tyme

• CAFCNA 2018 Supporting Member
« Reply #4891 on: March 26, 2019, 18:05:40 PM »

I pulled my 13 into the barn and finally changed out the spark plugs. Not as hard as I thought it would be but it did take a good 2 hours or more.
Also pulled the Blizzaks off and put the Coper Discoverer HTPs with original wheels on. I think the heavy snow is done for a while... I hope.  :D
Was going to install new magnetic drain plug but I think I'll wait till tomorrow, I am bushed.
2013 Avalanche LTZ Black Diamond Blue Topaz Metallic W/ Summit Performance level lift, Hollander 5308s wrapped with 275 65 R 20s Coper Discoverer HTPs, DZ TailGate assist, Sound Ordinance powered sub, AVS Vent Visors, Husky Liners, cool white interior LEDs, JDM Alstar backup lights.

Formerly 2005 Avalanche Z71 Silver Birch

frito

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
  • "I'll be your bumblebee buzzing around"
« Reply #4892 on: March 26, 2019, 18:27:18 PM »

Also pulled the Blizzaks off and put the Coper Discoverer HTPs with original wheels on. I think the heavy snow is done for a while... I hope.  :D
Yeah, I swapped out the winter tires on our rides on Saturday
Bumblebee - '03 Z71, FTDRL, All On High, Sail Panel LEDs, Bumper Cup Holders.  Decisions, Decisions...

Edfort

• I love my BEAST
« Reply #4893 on: March 26, 2019, 19:17:54 PM »

Put on trailer hitch light bar, small 12 inch light bar in small opening in front bumper.
I'd rather push my Chevy  ,   than drive a foreign.

02   2500 Indigo Blue 45000   
2 inch spacer rear
Goodyear Duratrac
Gibson SS exhaust
Light bars front and rear
Original mud flaps
 LED running/turn on running boards
Blue LED interior

old skool

« Reply #4894 on: March 26, 2019, 21:57:45 PM »

Replaced my old dash cam with a new dash cam.

Gave mine a bath and also installed a dash cam. Which one did you get EXT4ME? I may have some questions for you. This is my first.
Ebony 2007 LS

EXT4ME

« Reply #4895 on: March 27, 2019, 03:46:41 AM »

Gave mine a bath and also installed a dash cam. Which one did you get EXT4ME? I may have some questions for you. This is my first.

My new dash cam is a Rexing V1P Pro and this is the microSD memory card I used.

This new one is an upgrade from my previous dash cam which was a Rexing V1P.

The old one was several years old and was starting to produce some corrupted video files and was not as reliable as I would have liked.

This new one addresses some of the shortcomings of the old one by using a super capacitor instead of a battery (the battery was destroyed by the summer heat early on) and also has 1080p for both the front and the back cameras and has built-in GPS as opposed to an external GPS unit the old camera used.

The V1P Pro also has an app for my phone which allows me to view video and adjust some of the settings wirelessly.

I used this Fuse Tap and this Dash Cam Wiring Kit for my installation.

Both dash cams used the same power cord, so I did not have to change that.

But the data line for the rear camera was different, so I had to rerun that line for the new one.

Both the new dash cam and the rear camera used different mounts, so the old mounts had to be removed and the new mounts installed. 

No big deal.

So far, it has worked perfectly.

Summer time will tell, as I found the older one did not handle the heat of the truck cab when parked out in the summer sun.

We shall see.

old skool

« Reply #4896 on: March 27, 2019, 19:38:24 PM »

My new dash cam is a Rexing V1P Pro and this is the microSD memory card I used.

This new one is an upgrade from my previous dash cam which was a Rexing V1P.

The old one was several years old and was starting to produce some corrupted video files and was not as reliable as I would have liked.

This new one addresses some of the shortcomings of the old one by using a super capacitor instead of a battery (the battery was destroyed by the summer heat early on) and also has 1080p for both the front and the back cameras and has built-in GPS as opposed to an external GPS unit the old camera used.

The V1P Pro also has an app for my phone which allows me to view video and adjust some of the settings wirelessly.

I used this Fuse Tap and this Dash Cam Wiring Kit for my installation.

Both dash cams used the same power cord, so I did not have to change that.

But the data line for the rear camera was different, so I had to rerun that line for the new one.

Both the new dash cam and the rear camera used different mounts, so the old mounts had to be removed and the new mounts installed. 

No big deal.

So far, it has worked perfectly.

Summer time will tell, as I found the older one did not handle the heat of the truck cab when parked out in the summer sun.

We shall see.

This is the one I have...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TXR2P40/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought this one because it is supposed to be able to withstand high temperatures. I live in Arizona, so time will tell. I don't plan on taking it down from the windshield, so we will see how long it lasts. I wired mine up to constant power so that I can set it to motion detection. That brings up a question, does that mean that the camera is recording 24/7 if I have the power on?

It would have been nice to be able to pull the video's up on my phone like the one you have. Maybe next time.
Ebony 2007 LS

EXT4ME

« Reply #4897 on: March 28, 2019, 04:02:49 AM »

This is the one I have...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TXR2P40/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought this one because it is supposed to be able to withstand high temperatures. I live in Arizona, so time will tell. I don't plan on taking it down from the windshield, so we will see how long it lasts. I wired mine up to constant power so that I can set it to motion detection. That brings up a question, does that mean that the camera is recording 24/7 if I have the power on?

It would have been nice to be able to pull the video's up on my phone like the one you have. Maybe next time.

My original was supposed to capture video through motion and shock detection and shut itself off if none were present.

It had to be powered constantly to do so.

I found it just ran down the truck's battery a bit if the truck wasn't driven for several days.

After the summer heat killed the dash cam's own battery the first summer, I found this feature to be very inconsistent and I changed the power to key on only.

old skool

« Reply #4898 on: March 28, 2019, 19:04:06 PM »

Replaced the oil pan gasket, and what a pita that was. >:(
Ebony 2007 LS

old skool

« Reply #4899 on: March 31, 2019, 11:16:14 AM »

Replaced the oil pan gasket, and what a pita that was. >:(

And it's still leaking  :E: :E:
Ebony 2007 LS
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 194 195 [196] 197 198 199   Go Up

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 24 queries.