• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

AC Recirculation Actuator

Z71-n-Z28

My AC recirculation doesn't work.  I've isolated the problem to the recirculation flap actuator.  My problem is this: I can see the actuator somewhat if I remove the glovebox, but have no idea how to get it out.  Does anyone have any suggestions, or better yet, the service manual instructions for removal?  I suspect I'll need to remove the dashboard.

Thanks!
John

See if this helps, if not post back up and I'll look at my service manual.

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,106886.0.html

Thanks for the great info.  Alas, the part I need to replace is the Recirculation actuator not the mode actuator.....  If you could look at your service manual, it would be hugely appreciated...

Thanks,
john

Nope,  that's the hot/cold blend door actuator (air temperature actuator).  Mine is shown in that picture as item 1.  But I can't see any easy way of getting at it...

Thanks,\
john

That's the post I read to determine the recirc actuator was faulty.  Now, all I need is information on how to get it out.  It's buried in there deep...

Can anyone post service manual section on reoval and replacement of the "Recirculation Actuator"?

Thanks!

I'm afraid you are right you have to remove the the whole assembly it's buried.

The instruction are in the Reply #1

I have had the top of the dash off and I don't remember seeing it.

Yes, this is a 7 year old thread, but I'm doing this repair now. I searched for Sparky's Answers. He has a thread about it. http://sparkys-answers.com/2010/08/changing-recirculation-fresh-air-door.html

Here is my experience so far in my 2004:

1. Remove dash cover
2. Remove Passenger air bag (2x 10mm bolts in bottom accessible through glove box)
3. Remove Onstar box
4. Remove 10 mm nuts on passenger side securing the plastic dash to the cab
5. remove the u-shape bracket on top of the ducts
6. remove the hose connecting the defrost vent to the mirror vent in the dash
7. remove screw connecting pass. right vent to the dash
8. you should now be able to maneuver the vent assembly back and up giving you access to the actuator and door through the airbag hole
9. the screws on the actuator are 5.5mm, you need a long extension and u-joint
10 best way in was between defrost vent and front vent.
11. I used a flexible magnet with a light on the end to guide the socket and grab the screw before it fell

I have one screw out so far. I will update on replacement as I go.

I finished, it's a pita to get the actuator back in place. The firewall pad hinders it. I had to push and prod but finally got it. I used some tape in a socket to get the back screw in. Then my wife got her little hands in there to connect the plug. Do not plug the wires in until the actuator is insyalled. It could move out of position and not recover!

Back