• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Colorado Speed Shop? Custom Hood!

woof

SM 2007
Hey Yall,

I'm the proud owner of a new "ram air" style hood.  The bummer is that I was told it was functional and it turns out not to be so.  :E:

After more research, I decided to keep this one as it is mostly steel and is a functioning cowl hood.  I'm not a fan of the fiberglass used in all the other available functional Ram Airs, so exchanging this one was not an option...

I'm driving around with a big plastic wart on top of my hood, the scoop, and am wondering if anyone has worked with any speed/body shops in the Denver Area that may be able to convet it to a functional Ram Air.  It will need some cutting and then fabrication of the channel to the air box.

:help:

LOL, the one and only!  I'm going to drive the avy to my grave, with all the fake plastic parts on it too!

How's it been Chris!  It's been forever since we saw you and Paul!

1. No, don't know any shops.

2. Where's the pics? If you don't have pics, it never happened (its a rule!)  We would love to see what it looks like.

3. Functional Ram Air? No such thing.  Do you mean you want to have "cold" air from your scoop vented into your air box?  That is doable and should be easy, but hey, depends on what they did to the hood and what kind of air box you are using.

Interesting geek read:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-tech/1129295-ram-air-myth-or-truth.html

It would be cool to see it, come to the next GTG and show it off!

Well, here is the pic.  ABRA in Littleton did a great job with the paint/install.  I bought another scoop from the manufacturer in case I destroy this one with the mods.

Interesting article, it leaves me more confused, lol.  However, if you go back to the days of the Ram Air tests in the camaros, they did have higher power/performance.  The cowl effect of this hood is also interesting as the intakes are along the outside of the hood, at least from what I can see.

Attachments

• IMG_0333 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0333 - Copy.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 254
More pics

Attachments

• IMG_0337_2.jpg
    IMG_0337_2.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0341_2.jpg
    IMG_0341_2.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_0336_2.jpg
    IMG_0336_2.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 249
Man that's a great looking hood I really like the way it look on the AV. (y) :B:

Thanks.  Its the Reflexxion 707603.  For now, it's non-functional (other than the cowl induction).

I like!  (y)

If you look into the ws6 trans am.  It has ram air.  The specs list it @ 15 hp higher than the regular t/a.  If you read into it, they admit it has more aggresive exhaust and tune. The ram air does nothing.

After reading that link I was sceptical, however after I have tried it, I swear I can feel a slight difference.granted it isn't till your doing 70, but the throttle response has increased at that higher speed than before.I wish that were a accurate way to dyno it to confirm, but I don't think fans blowing in at random speeds will be consistant.

After having read the article also I to am somewhat undecided.....seriously if ya want some bolt on horsepower at a reasonable price without going over the edge I would try the electric supercharger kit, I have read the stats on this and this is something even Im considering. For someone as myself who doesnt want to change the sanctity and reliability of my stock Av. but would like that extra "kick" at times, this is an inexpensive bolt-on with proven results. Here is the link to the Kit in question  http://www.superchargertuning.com/Chevrolet/Avalanche/ . The hoods, being Ram Air, hood scoops etc are nice and have super visual rewards and look awesome but honestly reap very little reward in the performance dept.                Beercrazy

:jacked: well, kinda. I'm going off the previous post.

ken pelles said:
..... but would like that extra "kick" at times, this is an inexpensive bolt-on with proven results. Here is the link to the Kit in question   http://www.superchargertuning.com/Chevrolet/Avalanche/ . .....
 Sounds like a lot of snake oil to me.
Here's more from their ad but it sure doesn't give any concrete proof to anything.

[quote author= the site] Buy Chevrolet Avalanche Electric Supercharger Bolt-On Kit
Chevrolet Avalanche is a four door, and can carry five to six passengers. It is a sports utility truck that has a long- wheelbase chassis. Unlike the typical pick-ups the Avalanche opens to the back seat area through a folding panel and has a removable rear window. The avalanche and its superchargers were nominated as the best truck of the year in the North America by Motor Trend magazine for the year 2002. The nomination was through the electric supercharger engine that the Chevrolet has that is the Vortec 8.1 liter V8 340 horsepower which is an equivalent of 253 kilo watt for the three quarter-ton 2500 series. If the engine has bolt on supercharger then the output will be enormous and especially with the loads. With the ability of this type of a truck to be converted from pick-up to SUV the engines horsepower out put and speed needs to be extended but only through supercharger kit.
[/quote]

Now really take the time to see how this is worded...

Does this sound fishy to anyone else?
Did the 02 come with supercharges and this ad states?
Was it nominated BECAUSE of the use of it's superchargers as it states?

Yes I too have read that but sometimes ya just gotta look at the reality of things..... forced air into an internal cumbustion engine...what does that translate into.....more power.... its not rocket science dude  :E:

ken pelles said:
Yes I too have read that but sometimes ya just gotta look at the reality of things..... forced air into an internal cumbustion engine...what does that translate into.....more power.... its not rocket science dude  :E:
I understand that. :cool: What it doesn't bother to tell you is how much air flow increase it actually provides? They have nothing to back up what they're trying to sell you on the site. I have to see to believe it. If you get it, do us all a favor and get some dyno runs done before and after installation. I'd love to see the difference.  (y)

What kind of claims in increased HP are they claiming?

You buy it and provide all legit documentation of dyno runs before and after without any other tuning done. IF, it provides the HP claims they don't provide, I'll pay for your dyno time.

There's lots on interesting reading in this thread that we can continue the conversation in instead of thread jacking this one any more.
http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,38255.25.html

SabreXray said:
1. No, don't know any shops.

2. Where's the pics? If you don't have pics, it never happened (its a rule!)  We would love to see what it looks like.

3. Functional Ram Air? No such thing.  Do you mean you want to have "cold" air from your scoop vented into your air box?  That is doable and should be easy, but hey, depends on what they did to the hood and what kind of air box you are using.

Interesting geek read:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-tech/1129295-ram-air-myth-or-truth.html

It would be cool to see it, come to the next GTG and show it off!
I've seen it on a yellow one in Indiana. Yes it is possible with some custom fabrication. (y)

You can get a better idea of a functional Avalanche ram air hood here:

http://www.ramairhood.com/index.htm

I know a couple of guys with real :drive: superchargers on their 2500's.

Yes I agree but for the average Joe who doesnt want to refinance his house for a bit of power, theres always a lighter alternative. and with todays fuel cost its much cheaper to stay out of the throttle...lol       

Beercrazy

Oh I'm not throwing away on my money on one of those, I'll have to get two so I can hit 10psi.    :rolleyes:

Sorry to bring up an old post but,

@ Woof,  

I own a 2005 Avalanche that is suffering from the typical GM hood rust issue. I've been eyeballing different replacement hoods and I've pretty much decided on the hood you installed on your truck.

I'd like you input on the quality of the hood and how it's holding up.

Also, what was the fit and finish of the hood like? Did the body shop need to do any work to make it fit well ?

I don't mind spending quality money on a quality product but I do NOT want to buy a nightmare that the body shop will be laughing when it arrives !

Thanks in advance,

I tried to send you a PM on this but the board wont let me email you  :E:

Todd

Welcome tydriver, I was wondering where you were at? Here in the springs we have a really good priced shop that does great work, I have used them and am very pleased with their work. I will try to post a pic of my hood here...its on my phone right now.

Chadstr

Back