• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2009 Avalanche Bluetooth and Rogers Blackberry Bold 9700 caller info Unavailable

swalt

I have been using the Blackberry 8700 (Bell) for the past year in my AVY and it has worked flawless.   We upgraded our corporate phones two weeks back to the 9700 Bold and switched over to Rogers Wireless.   Bluetooth works fine and pairs well, but phone numbers show up as "unavailable" on the DIC now.   Call display on the phone is working fine.   I have also noticed calls to my Onstar service show "unavailable" when displaying the callers phone number.    I paired my wife's Samsung phone up and her's displays just fine.   Anyone else having a similar issue.   I called Onstar about their numbers not displaying and they told me to take it to the dealer.

I figured I would post an update to this as my vehicle has been into the dealer numerous times and still no luck and nothing further they can do as of this week.  The subbed out electronics company that GM uses (two different ones have worked on it) have said it has been a problem they have encountered in the past on the Avalanche and have not been able to resolve.

If anyone out there has a 2009 model and their call display does not work for OnStar or it does work for that matter, I would be interested in hearing from you.  Also, if you have a newer smartphone and the bluetooth works, but the call display does not work on the DIC, I would also be interested in hearing from you.  I would love to find another AVY owner of a 2009 in the Toronto area so I can try pairing my Blackberry Bold 9700 and see if the call display works on their truck.  As it stands now, GM has me in a loaner Caddy and although it is a smaller car, everything works just fine like it should with my smartphone.  Network is Rogers.

I have a 2010 Avalanche and the Call Display works without issue using a Blackberry on the Rogers network in the Toronto Ontario area. My other vehicle is a 2009 Equinox Sport which ALWAYS has the Unavailable issue using the same Blackberry.
The 3rd party radio repair company the GM uses tested the Call Display with their phone and claims there are no issues with the unit.
Looking at other forums, it looks like a 2009 issue with various vehicles including the CTS. GM lists my phone as a supported device and I am going to push the issue. Let me know if you have any luck.

Ralf said:
I have a 2010 Avalanche and the Call Display works without issue using a Blackberry on the Rogers network in the Toronto Ontario area. My other vehicle is a 2009 Equinox Sport which ALWAYS has the Unavailable issue using the same Blackberry.
The 3rd party radio repair company the GM uses tested the Call Display with their phone and claims there are no issues with the unit.
Looking at other forums, it looks like a 2009 issue with various vehicles including the CTS. GM lists my phone as a supported device and I am going to push the issue. Let me know if you have any luck.

I guess misery loves company.    It has to do with the 2009 vehicle year and I am to understand it is an issue on many models (if not most) for that production year.  I have had my truck into my local dealer at least 6 times, with both MASS and YORK being called in for the electronics, reprogramming, testing various phones, etc.  GM would not admit that it is an issue, but I would suggest you contact GM customer support and voice your concern.  The dealer confirmed as well as their electronics sub that it is absolutely a GM issue on those vehicles.    I dealt with GM for months, and their engineers and they finally came back and said it was an issue, and I would be contacted once they had a fix....which basically meant, we are going to close the ticket and you will not hear from us again.  My phone works fine in the 2010 vehicles, so I know it is not my phone.  My wife's iphone is on Bell and it works perfect.  Every 2010 rental GM has given me, my phone has worked flawless.  My Onstar call display does not even display and was advised it is caused by the same issue.    I have learned to keep my phone out in the console so when a call comes in, I can glance down quickly and see the number.  I have plans to change out the head unit this winter with a Kenwood Nav which I know will work as I have it in my other car.

:D  Great News! Took the 2009 Equinox in to dealer and York Electronics replaced the OnStar module and it works!
Swalt, go to your dealer and have them replace the module on your Avalanche.

Ralf said:
:D  Great News! Took the 2009 Equinox in to dealer and York Electronics replaced the OnStar module and it works!
Swalt, go to your dealer and have them replace the module on your Avalanche.

Ralf, can you email me at steve-walter at hotmail dot com.    I want to get your vin/and or work order so I can have my service advisor verify what York did to your vehicle that they did not do to mine.

Back