Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
09/01/14 12:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Tire Replacement Survey  (Read 17838 times)
gjjbmoore
CAFCNA 2006 Supporting Member

I got my new 2013 Avi!! I call it, "The Hulk II"

Awards
« on: 07/21/10 07:40 AM »

I had Goodyear Wranglers on my truck when I bought it. They were a soft riding tire, but they felt like balloons when I rounded corners.

After 50,000 miles, I put on a set of Goodyear Triple Treads. I've hated these tires...they made my soft riding Avi into a buck-board riding wagon. I have 30,000 miles on them, and to my glee, they are worn out.

Now the $100,000 question....

What tires do I replace the Triple Treads with?

I want soft riding tires, that are tough enough to pull a 5,000lb camper. I drive 98% of the time on the highway.

My favorite choice is The MIchelin LTX M/S II, but they are so expensive.

My next choice are the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza H/L- these look really good, and are a lot less money.

And 3rd, are the BF Goodrich L/T Long Trails.

I appreciate all your responses. It's a big, expensive decision that lasts for a long time. I am looking forward to having my Cadillac riding Avi back.

Thanks in advance.
  Thumbs up!
Gjjbmoore

2013, LT Z-71, Fairway Metallic Green, Tinted Windows, Tubular assist steps, Bugflector and Vent Visors, Rear seat entertainment system, Bose Sound System, Heated Leather Seats, 18" Aluminum Wheels, Navigation System, Bluetooth, Premium Ride Suspension, Trailering Package, Power Heated seats, Remote start, Rear camera. Awesome vehicle...Smiley
biglou58

Going nuts... Be back soon

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 07/21/10 08:04 AM »

Yeah, I had about 40k miles on my original tires and got below a tread depth I was comfortable with.  So I bet the bullet and bought a set of the Michelins. 

So far they're great.   Thumbs up!

Drove from Atlanta to LA (lower Alabama) and the ride was real smooth.

2006 Avalanche - MODS: Magnaflow, K&N CAI, Superchip, Maglite in saddle bag, Window tints, Black bow tie, Bugflector, FDRL, Cadillac horn (old style A, C, D, F)
dmacker
CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member

America and the Avalanche aren't they great. USMC

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 07/21/10 02:44 PM »

I went with the Firestone A/T.
Same tire as the Bridgestone at less cost.
Ride great and look good.
Can't comment on the mileage as they have 30,000 and show no wear.

"Lady in Red", "THE ORIGINAL"  Z71, Loaded, Limo tint, Red Bow-Tie, AV bug guard, muds, Silver Stars & 899's, DRL,s, Mag Light, K&N,  Weather Tech , LOF and Magnaflow w/tip, Stripeman tailgate, headlight covers, 4 headlights at once + custom built flag holder, all in one sweet package.
kstitz

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 07/23/10 02:59 PM »

I have had the LTX's on for about 12k miles and am very happy with them. They will ride rougher than the previouse tires that you had because they are an LT not a P, but for towing a 5k trailer they will be much better and should last longer.

Kelly
ygmn
Administrator

Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 07/23/10 03:48 PM »

Goodyear Triple treads for me.

Been happy now for heck I cannot remember how long... I have had them...

Tire pressure has more effect on feel then tire IMO

Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
ajebner
CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member

Go Navy! Support our Troops!

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 07/23/10 05:31 PM »

IMy favorite choice is The MIchelin LTX M/S II, but they are so expensive.

I splurged on the Michelins.  The ride feels so much better than the old Wranglers (that still supposedly had plenty of mileage left in them) and they are hands down better for wet roads.  I don't tow, so not sure about that, but my stopping distance improved tremendously.

2006 Dark Blue Metallic Z66 (with Cladding -- wouldn't have it any other way!).  Mods thanks to my Indiana AV friends:  Amber DRL's; Silverstar signals; FTDRL's; All on High; Easy Lift tailgate; tranny cooler.  She wears Michelin LTX M/S2 shoes size P265/70R17.  Restore Refinisher rocks.

2013 Blue Topaz Metallic LT All Star -- no ambers yet.
HIM8NINS

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 07/24/10 04:02 PM »

MY Vote mickey thompson Baja ATZ's long life can take the weight from trailering  Thumbs up!

2007 Summit White LT3 Z71 loaded Including Nav, Rear DVD & Backing Up Cam,
Mods to Date
6' Stage I Pro Comp Suspension lift 3" body Lift =9' lift
22" KMC Rubix Rims with 285/45/22 Falkens - 4 sale
17" American Racing Canon rims with 315/70 17 MT  MTZ"s
HID 6000k Hi's & Lows
LED 6000K DRL
LED 6000K fogs
2x 8inch kicker CVT's sub in custom box
Weather Tec Mats
Chrome Bowtie
Wheel well gap guards
Bumper relocated rear receiver plug
Curt front receiver hitch
Homemade bedslider with tiedowns
avalonandl

Pulling 11,000 lbs and Lovin' it

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 07/30/10 10:05 AM »

Michelin LTX are the best. Ride smooth, last long (80k often). Yhey may be expensive but a worthwhile investment. Tires are the single most important maintenance item on you vehicle from an overall standpoint.  It may seem like a lot but it will be worht it in the long run.

Avalon

2004- Sport Red 2500, w/ 4.10 axle and stump pulling torque! Flowmaster BB50 w/ oval tips out each side. SOLD- Now a 2015 DMAX 2500HD
Mark61

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 08/01/10 08:22 AM »

I replaced the stock Goodyear's at 42K with Yokohama Geolander AT's.
I am close to hitting 50K on them, and think I have about another 10K left on them. Plan on using the same tire again.

Good ride, great on wet roads. I like them all the way around. Thumbs up!

2004 Z-66 Silver Birch
LikeaRock

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 08/09/10 07:49 AM »

I'm running Firestone Destination A/T's and couldn't be happier. They are also a very good rain tire too.

2003 Black Cladded 5.3L, AEM Brute Force CAI, Flowmasters, Painted Powerbar, Polished Chevy Emblem, Firestone Destination A/T's, Alpine CDA 9855, Pioneer fronts / Rockford Fosgate rears, Two 10" subs,  FTDRL, All-4-On Hi, Maglite, Avalanche SS Decals, Formula One window tint
tbonecpa

Awards
« Reply #10 on: 08/19/10 10:15 AM »

I bought Wrangler Silent Armor (255/75r17) for my Yukon XL last November.  That size is 1/3" taller and 1/3" narrower than stock 265/70r17.  I sure cant tell the difference.  I am very happy with the highway, wet performance, snow performance, and treadwear.  Just bought a 2006 Avalanche with bald tires and found a very similar deal at Treaddepot on the same tire. Just ordered them.  $350 less $40 rebate.  Even with shipping and install the total will be under $450.  The 265/70r17 will run you $300 more.  Gotta love the odd size!!  Thumbs up!
DiabeticDan

Awards
« Reply #11 on: 08/19/10 05:33 PM »

I had the Goodyear Fortera Triple Treads and just recently got a flat. They don't look good, and they don't feel very good either. I don't have any extra money to spend, so I got some Bridgestone Duelers A/T I believe, they are on the back, and I'm wearing the hell out of the triple treads on the front. The Duelers I got were only about $150 or so from Costco, and they have just enough off-road attitude for me.

2005, Tinted, Cold air intake, 2-10" 2-12" Kicker Comps, 1100 Watt amp, direct FM Modulator, Sail Panel Lights All on HI mod, All 4 brake lights/turn signals.
JVZL1
CAFCNA 2014 Premium Member

Looking For A Crew Cab Pick UP Drove An AVY

Awards
« Reply #12 on: 08/20/10 09:53 PM »

I've ran Cooper's for years on my trucks. Have dealt with locally owned tire shop
for about 30 years now. A couple of years back I was looking for a winter
tire he suggested Nokian's. I loved how they performed and how quiet they were on my One Ton GMC 4X4. So when the AVY need new shoes I purchased
the Nokian Vatiivas A/T. Have 15k on them, wear seems good and happy with ride and performance while towing. I believe he told me the Nokian is made by Cooper. I like the softer ride. 
My through in.
JV

'03 Z71 Dark Gray Cladded
Bug Visor,Floormats;Full Time Amber DRL's; Rear Head Rest Mod; INJEN Tuned Air Intake;MSD wires;ALL ON HIGH;Grippin Billet tailgate handle Magnum black;EBC Brakes;RS9000XL Shocks;Moog Steering Stabilizer;HP Tune From Superwagon;Dual Batteries;Painless 40120 Digital Power Manager; FF Dynamics Electric Fans; DynoMax VT;
JV
loneraider

Avalanche is #1

Awards
« Reply #13 on: 08/21/10 01:42 PM »

BF Goodrich All-Terain tires 265-70-17 on my 2002 Z71 I think its the best tire going, tough tire for towing, strong sidewalls for weight, great traction in all weather
                                           and not too noisy on the highway.They make the Ave look like it should !!! Ready for anything love

white 2002 Z71 5.3 lund bug shield leather,sunroof,painted emblem, amber drl's,4's on high,sail panel led's ,lcd screen, bf goodrich all-terain's, tailgate cup holders,
Tonyd1356
CAFCNA 2013 Premium Member

Unless it's feeding time... Love this Truck!!!

Awards
« Reply #14 on: 09/06/10 02:00 PM »

I had Goodyear Fortera Triple Treads on an '07 GMC Yukon this past couple of years. They were much quieter than the Bridgestone Dueler A/T's that are on the Av right now. Also with the winter snows we had in the Northeast this past winter, the Yukon didn't slip once, never a problem. When it comes time to replace the Av's shoes, it is getting the Triple Treads. Had 30,000 plus miles on the Triple Treads and were wearing very well. I do rotate the tires every oil change.

My 2 or there abouts

Was '06 Summit White Z71 LS
Now '07 Black Z71 3LT
Rest of the family
'08 Impala 50Th Anniversary Edition
'14 Sonic LT
TXSZ66AVLANCHE

Awards
« Reply #15 on: 09/06/10 03:20 PM »

Toyo Open Country AT I have 50K on mine and over half tread left. Around the same time I put a set of Cooper ATR on my Suburban and at 20k they are noisy and almost down to the markers.

2003 Suburban-GMT900 Brakes, BB Tuned, Dual Batteries, DL3 Mirrors , E-Fans, Eibach Sway Bars
2003 Silverado- Ranch Hand Push Bars, Work Horse and guinea pig
2004 Avalanche- LS1 5.7, GMT900 Brakes, BB tuned, Efans, Leveled, Dual Batteries, Painted Door Handles, Detroit TrueTrac, Eibach Sway Bars
2005 Silverado RCSB- Currently Stock
1995 S10- Race Truck In Progress!

PEKSAV

9/11 will not be forgotten!!

Awards
« Reply #16 on: 09/17/10 02:43 PM »

I have Nokian Vatiivas A/Ts and I would not recommend them.  Although they are great on snow and ice, in 3 years I had 3 out of 4 tires slip belts.  One, two years ago and the last two yesterday.  I also found that the forth tire to have radial wires showing.  I still have 15000 mi. left on the warranty.  Unfortunately, I do not have the receipt for the tires so I am SOL.
I am getting the Michelin LTX at Costco, very good store warranty with nitrogen, as soon as I find $810.

2002, Pewter,4X4, Z71, Cladded (What Else), Roof Rack, Black Leather Interior
MODS: not many -- FT Amber LED DRL, 4 on High, Timbren SES Rear Suspension Support, Spectre Performance Cold Air Intake Kit, Hood Deflector, Window Vent Deflector, Stainless Nerf Bars, Hopkins Trailer Plug in Bumper
FamilyTruckster

Awards
« Reply #17 on: 09/17/10 05:43 PM »

I ordered a new set last Friday including spare.

Currently I am using BF All Terrains TAs in load range C. They have great snow traction but are loud and far too aggressive.

After much research I ordered 5 GoodYear Silent Armor. LT 275 70/R17. They`re just small enough not to rub but will fill out my wheel wells nicely.

They offer great snow traction, are tough enough for gravel highway, are good highway tires and are quiet. They were expensive but I take tires very seriously.

PEKSAV

9/11 will not be forgotten!!

Awards
« Reply #18 on: 09/18/10 09:56 PM »

Anyone know the rating of the MIchelin LTX M/S?
I have a 26' travel trailer to pull, dry wt. 4520, GVWR 6010.
I know these are good tires but are they rated for pulling my trailer?
Thanks

2002, Pewter,4X4, Z71, Cladded (What Else), Roof Rack, Black Leather Interior
MODS: not many -- FT Amber LED DRL, 4 on High, Timbren SES Rear Suspension Support, Spectre Performance Cold Air Intake Kit, Hood Deflector, Window Vent Deflector, Stainless Nerf Bars, Hopkins Trailer Plug in Bumper
FamilyTruckster

Awards
« Reply #19 on: 09/19/10 04:20 PM »

Anyone know the rating of the MIchelin LTX M/S?
I have a 26' travel trailer to pull, dry wt. 4520, GVWR 6010.
I know these are good tires but are they rated for pulling my trailer?
Thanks

Load Range E will do the job, maybe even a D. However, I couldn't find anything less than an E in a 17" LTX.
harleysalesguy

Awards
« Reply #20 on: 09/20/10 07:59 PM »

We have a 2003 F-150 and a 1992 Chevy 2wd 1/2ton with Firestone Destination A/T's and couldn't be happier.  The F-150 has a trailer behind it more than not and has almost 70,000 miles on these tires.  We will be replacing them before winter along with the Goodyear HP's that came on my AV when I recently purchased it.
LIAV

Awards
« Reply #21 on: 10/01/10 03:58 PM »

Nexen Roadian's. Tires handle great dry or wet have 13000 on them still like new. Will never buy Good Year again.
05Guy

My 05

Awards
« Reply #22 on: 10/01/10 04:34 PM »

I love the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza H/L, price is right,, I have the 20's,, 9,000 mile's look like day 1

Mods:/
Rockford Punch P500 Amp, JL Audio J2 250.1 mono Amp, Pioneer TS-A1683R Speakers, Pioneer Premier TS-A702C Speaker Set, Custom Midgate mod, with 2 10 inch sony sub's, Fabtech Performance Steering Stabilizer...Nelson PCM tune
Front/EBC Sport Rotors, Spectre Cold Air Intake. MSD Spark Plug Wires......Gibson Dual Extreme....8000 Xenon HID Headlights, .
shakazulu12
CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #23 on: 10/09/10 01:30 PM »

My needs are slightly different since I have a 2500.  I previously had BFG AT KO's and this time around went with Hankook RF10's.  They cost a ton less and so far the only difference I can tell is they are quieter.  I'm waiting for the snow to hit.  I snowboard weekly, but other owners of these tires stated they were awesome in the snow.  Time will tell.

2002 2500
Mods: TBD!
Redlinez

Awards
« Reply #24 on: 10/15/10 07:34 PM »

There really isn't a better tire on the market than the Firestone Destination A/T.  Highest rated on Tirerack.  I was a service advisor for 11 years and sold tires weekly and these were one of my best sellers.  You do need to rotate/balance them every 5000 miles like any other tire.  If you don't do it with an a/t tire, you'll have very noisy cupping.  LTX M/S's are great, but overpriced IMO. 

03 Suburban Z71
Shanes 02 Avalanche

Teach your children well, they are the future.

WWW Awards
« Reply #25 on: 10/16/10 08:37 AM »

I look at tires like I do cars. You buy for what you need. I have a 1993 Honda Civic for the wife to drive because she does a lot more close driving then I do. It get 35MPG, so it is a hell of a lot cheaper to run compared to the Avalanche. I did however purchase a set of studded snow tires and rims in case she needs them. My Av is currently running 265/70/17 Bridgestone Dueler AT/S. They are a good tire for city driving, not so much for the Sierra Neveda back country. I have a set of 285/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors on my Escalade rims. These do not drive as smooth on the interstate, but they offroad great. As for snow, I was driving in snow up to my bumper and still had no issues.

So everybody will find a tire that suits their needs.

You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.
You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.
.....Abr
cos_avy

Awards
« Reply #26 on: 11/21/10 03:02 PM »

Just put the Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10's on my '07 Z71 Avy....  the looks... are AWESOME! Cool!   So far on the highway they are quiet.  I am waiting for the big snow here in colorado springs to get them out and do some playing!  265 70/ R18 's all around.  Cool!

CoS_AvY - 2007 AvY / Z71 / KC Lites / Rancho 9000 XL w/ MyRide Kit and more to come...
cas1849

Awards
« Reply #27 on: 12/02/10 10:26 AM »

I just had to replace a set of Dayton Timberline A/T II that I put 80000+ on with another set for 145 per tire (Plaza Tires)......I have had no complaints with them.

C
PrevostBusNut

'05 Z71 4x4 Towed behind a 45' Prevost XLII Coach

WWW Awards
« Reply #28 on: 12/23/10 10:42 PM »

After 40,000 miles on the OE Wranglers, I replaced all 4 tires with Michelin LTX M/S2 tires. Michelin part# 09607.  Size: P265/70R17.   DOT Treadwear rating 720, Traction A, Temperature A. Warranty: 6 years, 70,000 miles.  Cost of 4 installed = $805.92 (before sales tax).  Have been driving on them for 30 days now and LOVE them.  Very nice ride.  I plan to keep my Av for awhile so I am glad I made the investment. Hope this helps.   Wave

'05 Z71 4wd dinghy towed behind my 45' Prevost XLII  Motorcoach
ronthehandymanga
CAFCNA 2014 Premium Member

Awards
« Reply #29 on: 12/24/10 06:12 AM »

I replaced mine with 285 75 R 16 Michelins LTX M/S2.  I am a Michelin man, I have them on all other vehicles I own.   R. love
« Last Edit: 12/24/10 06:15 AM by ronthehandymanga » Logged

02 Indigo blue K2500
99 K2500 LT Suburban, work truck
69 CST396 Fleetside long PU
68 Chevelle SS 396
Chad 22

Awards
« Reply #30 on: 12/31/10 01:24 PM »

Toyo Open Country AT I have 50K on mine and over half tread left. Around the same time I put a set of Cooper ATR on my Suburban and at 20k they are noisy and almost down to the markers.

Good to know!  Thumbs up!   I got a set of TOYO Open Country AT's put on just before I bought the truck!     

Chad

~2004 Avalanche Z71, Sport Red Metallic, WBH
05avy4x4

Awards
« Reply #31 on: 12/31/10 01:52 PM »

Ive had my eye on Nitto Terra Grapplers, General Grabber AT2 and the Firestone Destination AT's. Good luck getting them though, Ive called Sears, DiscountTire, Tire Rack and theyre all on national backorder for 4 to 6 weeks  banghead. BTW I had the Michelin Cross Terrains when I bought the truck back in Feb, great highway tire, not too bad in the rain or snow. Had no problem when we had the 100 year record drop on us in NJ. Now theyre toast, of course it could be the month long trek to montana and back that did them in.  Thumbs up!
Chad 22

Awards
« Reply #32 on: 01/01/11 07:32 PM »

Ive had my eye on Nitto Terra Grapplers, General Grabber AT2 and the Firestone Destination AT's. Good luck getting them though, Ive called Sears, DiscountTire, Tire Rack and theyre all on national backorder for 4 to 6 weeks  banghead. BTW I had the Michelin Cross Terrains when I bought the truck back in Feb, great highway tire, not too bad in the rain or snow. Had no problem when we had the 100 year record drop on us in NJ. Now theyre toast, of course it could be the month long trek to montana and back that did them in.  Thumbs up!

I ran into the same thing - I wanted the Nittos, then Generals, and they weren't available so I went with the Toyos.

Chad

05avy4x4

Awards
« Reply #33 on: 01/02/11 09:06 AM »

I looked at those too, any difference between the Toyo's and Nitto's? I know theyre owned by the same company, dunno if theirs any difference in the compound at all? I know consumer reports rated them differently but then again take that with a grain of salt.
Buckshot

w00t !!

Awards
« Reply #34 on: 01/02/11 09:44 AM »

I have my decision down to 2, Toyo Open Country A/T or Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S

Anyone have experience with either one or both ?

2007 Sunburst Orange LT 4x4, mud flaps, Weather Tech floor mats, GMC Yukon wheels, Amber DRL's, self installed leather, Maglite. EBC rotors and Hawk pads.
Chad 22

Awards
« Reply #35 on: 01/02/11 06:24 PM »

I've only had the Toyo Open Country A/T's for a couple weeks.  They balanced very well, ride nice - seem quite for the AT tread.  I drove in snow / slush in AWD a couple times and they performed well. 

Chad

Silver1

Awards
« Reply #36 on: 01/03/11 05:50 AM »

Anyone have experience with the Goodyear Duratrac's on a Avy? My OE Bridgestone Dueler A/T's are wearing thin so Im looking at replacing them soon. I was going to get the SilentArmors but the Duratracs look tempting and have good reviews from what I've seen.
Aquaholic21

I love this thing!

Awards
« Reply #37 on: 01/03/11 03:44 PM »

Michelin LTX M/S here, 17".  They're quite, comfortable, and capable.  I put over 1,000 mi/wk on my truck, much of it towing trailers loaded with telecommunications cables and equipment.  I don't see myself buying anyting else.
TxDarth

I love the '07 Av...it is no longer "Butt Ugly"

Awards
« Reply #38 on: 01/12/11 09:37 PM »

Just put Michelins P275X55x20 on this last Monday - just under $1,200. out the door here in Tx.  Local Discount Tire matched the prices from TireRack.
Love the tires so far much quiter than the stock Bridgestones that came on the Avi.

The only Female Dog I have is the TPMS doesn't work now - the tech could not sync the rt front tire - they said the sensor must have quit.  Now a new sensor is another 65.00.... All I get is dashes for all 4 tires on the display with an error warning each time I turn the key on, pi--es me off Thumbs down

'07 Silver Birch LTZ - Born-ed on date 2/07 - all the creature features - no rear DVD.
Hondo

2007 LTZ

Awards
« Reply #39 on: 02/20/11 02:21 PM »

I put on a set of Cooper Discoverer ATR 275/55R20's on my 2007, replacing the stock Bridgestones that had 62,000 miles on them.

So far they are great around town & at speed- haven't been off road or in wet/snowy conditions.

A pic I took this afternoon -

p13datsyuk13

Awards
« Reply #40 on: 03/10/11 08:34 AM »

Toyo Open Country H/T's here...great all around tire.....excellent on wet and slushy Michigan Roads.

2003 Avalanche Z71, Black with black leather, Bose sound, Rancho RS5000's, ambers, Toyo Open Country tires
2009 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS 4WD
jmbmnw

Awards
« Reply #41 on: 03/30/11 07:41 AM »

I have my decision down to 2, Toyo Open Country A/T or Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S

Anyone have experience with either one or both ?

I put on the Geolandars.  What a great tire.  I've had them on for almost 60k, and they still have a lot of life left in them.  Very solid tread for wet/snow.
Shanes 02 Avalanche

WWW Awards
« Reply #42 on: 03/30/11 11:07 AM »

I just bought a new set of BFG KO tires in 285/70/17. These are great all around tires. They are great on or off the pavement. I had a set back in 04 that lasted over 80k. Then I went with the Geolanders and did not like them at all. They did not have traction in the Idaho winters. My friend on the other hand has a set on his Land Cruiser and they do great for him. My last set of tires were Wrangler Silent Armor. These are a great tire, snow and ice do not bother them at all. I was driving thru Donner pass at 55MPH when everyone else was chained up. The only reason I changed to BFG is because I wanted new rims. So I boought a set of rims and tires from Tire rack for $1500 mounted balanced and shipped. I will post pics as soon as my son brings my camera back from his school project.

You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.
You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.
.....Abr
02avy2500

avy 2500

Awards
« Reply #43 on: 03/30/11 11:50 AM »

Im loving my 265 75 r16 e rated MTR's. getting a little loud though
pelka130

Awards
« Reply #44 on: 05/10/11 10:01 AM »

I love the Michelins, but until I win the lotto--dollar for dollar I would have to say the BF Goodrich All-Terains are a decent value and very multipurpose as well.  Decent for towing and good tread. chevy

'06 Z71
ttamrettus

Awards
« Reply #45 on: 09/26/11 01:42 AM »

Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenzas 265/65R18.  Best tires I have ever had.  The OE tires were crap.

2007 3LT Z71 4x4
white w/ 2 tone interior
sunroof & nav
mag-lite mod & smoke bug deflector
Trafficman
CAFCNA 2012 Premium Member

I love CAFCNA

WWW Awards
« Reply #46 on: 09/26/11 03:18 AM »

Been with Yokahama A/S 265/70/17's  Bald now. Bought july 2007 about 54,000 miles on them 60,000 mile warranty (Credit).  They where good tires.  Now looking again.  My 2 options are

OPTION 1:   Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2 -  285/70R-17 / E-1 121R   In - Stock
$1136.61 out the door with a 100.00 mail in American Express rebate card.

or

OPTION 2:    Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor -  LT275/70R-17 / C1 114R Available 2 - 3 days
$1.004.12 out the door

What is your opinion....Please PM me...
jimmypsp700

2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 1500

WWW Awards
« Reply #47 on: 10/27/11 01:52 PM »

I'm running Firestone Destination A/T's and couldn't be happier. They are also a very good rain tire too.

Same here maybe not quite as happy tho...
Replacement needed after 3 yrs and about 60k.

'04 Chevy Av Z71 1500
'90 Chevy Vette L98 TPI
'10 Polaris Sportsman 850XP EPS
'00 Polaris Scrambler 400 2x4
'02 Triton SL8 ATV Trailer
'94 Sierra 32' TT
Trafficman

I love CAFCNA

WWW Awards
« Reply #48 on: 10/27/11 01:56 PM »

Threw on a quad of Bridgestone Duelers.  Thank You Shane for meeting me in Reno and giving me a hell of a deal on your tires and wheels and Predater! and Spare lol... Cool! Thumbs up!
jimmypsp700

WWW Awards
« Reply #49 on: 10/27/11 01:57 PM »

Check out Tire Rack RAtings...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT
Tire ratings chart

My buddy like the  Bridgestone Dueler Revo

'04 Chevy Av Z71 1500
'90 Chevy Vette L98 TPI
'94 Sierra 32' TT
Trafficman

I love CAFCNA

WWW Awards
« Reply #50 on: 10/27/11 02:05 PM »

Check out Tire Rack RAtings...
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT
Tire ratings chart
My buddy like the  Bridgestone Dueler Revo

That's  bull because the Yokahama Geolander Sucks the big one in Snow, Ice and Mud!!!!!!!!
PerfectReign
CAFCNA 2013 Supporting Member

A Turn Signal is a Statement, Not a Request

WWW Awards
« Reply #51 on: 10/28/11 01:59 AM »

I love the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza H/L, price is right,, I have the 20's,, 9,000 mile's look like day 1
FWIW...  I just put the 17s on the other day. Rides nice and smooth, especially thorough the urban jungle.

My bridgestone Dueler AT tires lasted about 65k miles. They still had some tread but I was being proactive and wanted to go up an inch.

2006 WBH LS2000 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
Shanes 02 Avalanche

WWW Awards
« Reply #52 on: 10/30/11 03:17 AM »

You can ask trafficman about how much I hated my Geolamders in the snow. He has a brand new on for a spare(please don't use in the snow).The Dueller were so much more superior. I was going over Donner [ass with a few feet of snow, not on the roadway, but it was snowing hard. Every other driver on the road had chains. those that did not were stuck. I went without chains because I had putting them on a 6000# Avalanche. So I just flew over the pass at 55 with not even a slip. Then we dropped down into Reno which was solid ice and -20 with wind. Again those duellers did awesome, all the to Idaho. Then I installed my wrangler Silent Armor. Another very very good tire. I tower a 6x12 uhaul loaded back in the same conditions with no issues. Now I have BFG KO 285/70/17 and love them.

.....Abr
kirbys123

Awards
« Reply #53 on: 11/06/11 01:51 PM »

I had Geolanders on a 02 Durango, and I slid thru many intersections in the snow (not even ice). They were terrible!! I am planning to get the new Nokian Rotiiva A/T tires for my 06 Av when I need new ones. They look like a good tire and they are winter and M+S rated, so they should be great for Edmonton since we have snow for 6 months of the year here. I have Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's right now, but I'm not expecting them to be very good. They came with the Av when I bought it. I guess I'll find out when it snows. (Should be very soon)
marzahld

Awards
« Reply #54 on: 11/09/11 04:26 AM »

I put Michelin Latitude's on a few months ago.  They ride nice and are *much* cheaper than the M/S tires...  Good traction too... I've pulled the boat out on several wet ramps without having to engage 4H... 

2003 Avalanche Z71  Arrival Blue
AZ~Z71

I love my Chevy Avalanche!

Awards
« Reply #55 on: 12/05/11 05:54 AM »

I got 80,000 on my Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor's
selbyj

Awards
« Reply #56 on: 12/05/11 09:05 AM »

I have 2K on my Nitto Crosstek tires from NTB.  So Far really like these tires.  Wanted Goodrich AT KO as I have had these on 2 other trcks and love them, just do not love the price.  The Nittos are very quiet.  They ride stiffer than the OEM Wrnaglers which I always thought were too soft.  THe Nittos very goos in wet, just waiting for soem snow to see how they do.
JBB3

Awards
« Reply #57 on: 12/06/11 12:07 AM »

Just put on a set of Toyo Open Country HTs on my Z66. So far so good. They balanced well and ride smooth. The previous General Grabbers UHP had a performace feel to them. Where as the Toyo HTs have a heavy duty feel to them.

Good luck!   

2002 Metallic Pewter Z66, Tan Sport Leather Seats, Sunroof, Conv Pkg, Tow Pkg, OnStar, Remote Starter, Assist Steps, Roof Rack, SilverStars, Amber DRLs - Always On, Bugflector II, Chrome Painted Grill, Color Matched Bowtie, Reflective Tape AV Lettering, Painted Intake Cover, ES Sway Bar End Link Bushings, and more to come...
TXSZ66AVLANCHE

Awards
« Reply #58 on: 12/06/11 10:33 PM »

With 40-50k a year in driving I go through tires! Here is my opinions for my last few sets.

Toyo Open Country AT- Great tire in snow and off road, quiet on highway! Only problem is they dry rot very fast and was unable to use the tires until down to the wear markers. Plenty of tread left but one tire cracked on the sidewall. 35K total use, estimate could have driven another 15K if not for the dry rot.

Cooper Discover AT- Garbage in every aspect, tread down to the wear markers at 18K many online complaints for the same exact thing. Sidewalls are WAY TOO  SOFT and always feels like the tires are low on air.

General Grabber HTS- Great budget minded tire, $600 for the set and lasted 33K

Michelin LTX M/S2- Currently on the truck, my favorite so far! Amazing traction in any condition, dry, rain, off road, currently have 20K on them and looks like they are good for another 20K

2003 Suburban-GMT900 Brakes, BB Tuned, Dual Batteries, DL3 Mirrors , E-Fans, Eibach Sway Bars
2004 Avalanche- LS1 5.7, GMT900 Brakes, BB tuned, Efans, Leveled, Dual Batteries, Painted Door Handles, Detroit TrueTrac, Eibach Sway Bars

JBB3

Awards
« Reply #59 on: 12/07/11 02:09 AM »

Toyo Open Country AT- Great tire in snow and off road, quiet on highway! Only problem is they dry rot very fast and was unable to use the tires until down to the wear markers. Plenty of tread left but one tire cracked on the sidewall. 35K total use, estimate could have driven another 15K if not for the dry rot.

If you put 40-50k miles a year, they didn't have time to dry rot.  There must be something else going on with them. I just put a set of HTs on. I'll keep an eye on them for any cracking. But given I only put about 10k miles/year, mine actually might dry rot... Wink 

2002 Metallic Pewter Z66, Tan Sport Leather Seats, Sunroof, Conv Pkg, Tow Pkg, OnStar, Remote Starter, Assist Steps, Roof Rack, SilverStars, Amber DRLs - Always On, Bugflector II, Chrome Painted Grill, Color Matched Bowtie, Reflective Tape AV Lettering, Painted Intake Cover, ES Sway Bar End Link Bushings, and more to come...
TXSZ66AVLANCHE

Awards
« Reply #60 on: 12/11/11 10:32 PM »

If you put 40-50k miles a year, they didn't have time to dry rot.  There must be something else going on with them.

So...what else would you call cracking in the tread, sidewall, and really all over the tire? Im curious to know? If there must be something else going on with them what the heck is it?

CORVETTEC3

Awards
« Reply #61 on: 12/12/11 02:31 AM »

The same tire can have different ratings comparing to other tires in the same sizes. Also check the date code on the tires. If they are older than a yr old you're getting screwed. Go on Tire Racks site & compare different manufactures tires in the same sizes. You'll be quite surprised  that lots of expensive tires aren't near as good as tires costing less. Buying a good quality tire takes time & research.
Alan Cheers!

2011 Avalanche LTZ
2008 Trailblazer 3SS
2003 Tahoe Z-71
1977 Corvette T-Top
73 Corvette T-top
1967 Dodge 440
1968 Corvette Convertible
jimmypsp700

WWW Awards
« Reply #62 on: 12/13/11 01:38 PM »

So...what else would you call cracking in the tread, sidewall, and really all over the tire? I'm curious to know? If there must be something else going on with them what the heck is it?

I agree, tires sitting idle weather and crack (dry rot), keeping them on the road moves the oils outward and keeps them pliable.  It must be a problem with the construction or the material was not up to specifications...

This typically happens to trailer tires from not getting much use and sitting exposed to the sun.
« Last Edit: 12/13/11 01:40 PM by jimmypsp700 » Logged

'04 Chevy Av Z71 1500
'90 Chevy Vette L98 TPI
'94 Sierra 32' TT
geohog82

Awards
« Reply #63 on: 12/16/11 02:34 AM »

Cooper Discoverer CTS...Good all-around tire that rides and wears great!

2012 LTZ 4WD Imperial Blue Metallic, BakFlip HD Tonneau cover, Bed Slide 800, Bushwacker Pocket Flares
papeo5

Awards
« Reply #64 on: 01/31/13 08:11 PM »

I am not sure if it it is the weight or the traction control but my new Avy is a "tank". I bought it two weeks ago with Cooper Discover ST's on Chrome Rock Stars and it handled great in the snow. I just put Cooper Discover HTP's on the stock wheels and it still handles great in the snow....
 Cheesy

2007 LTZ
denniscarl

Awards
« Reply #65 on: 02/11/13 08:49 PM »

Nexen Roadians!  Only $129 each, installed at walmart.   I replaced factory duelers with Sumitomo HD, and they were decent..and got 45,000 miles on them...  The Nexens are just as quiet, ride just as nice....and $500 cheaper than the Sumitomos!
RB`s 2010 AV

Awards
« Reply #66 on: 02/16/13 08:32 AM »

Michelin IceX are some very good tires..
MRavalanche

Awards
« Reply #67 on: 02/17/13 11:38 AM »

I switched to Michelin LTX M/S2 tires after bad experiences with Goodyear Wrangler and subsequently Dunlop (made by Goodyear) which didn't last according to the manufacturer rating.  Yes, the Michelins are more expensive, but you get what you pay for, and mine are guaranteed to last with a 70,000 mile warranty.  They have a smooth ride, have been great in snow, and handled the load of towing a 27' camper just fine.
yendorLTZ09

Awards
« Reply #68 on: 02/17/13 05:10 PM »

I will be buying a set of tires in a month or two.  I will be getting the Michelin LTX M/S2 tires(P275/55R20).  These tires are costly, but are rated for 70,000 miles.  I'm still on the original set that came with my Avy, and have 58,000 miles on them.  They are Bridgestone Dueler HT(P275/55R20), which are rated for 65,000 miles.  Still have good tread on them at 58,000 miles.  There are other good brands of tires out there, and I think Michelin tires are a great choice. 
Happy tire purchasing!!
marzahld

Awards
« Reply #69 on: 02/18/13 04:22 PM »

I'm on my third set of tires...  I went Factory, then LTX M/S, and now Michelin Latitude...  take a look at these if you can find em, they ride good and are much more affordable than LTX M/S2...     LTX M/S is too expensive IMO...   getting more miles per tire is not the answer...   what if you get a flat and have to replace an entire tire? 

2003 Avalanche Z71  Arrival Blue
gbert2006

Awards
« Reply #70 on: 08/28/13 08:22 PM »

I replaced my tires at 50k. Mainly because one of the tires had started to separate at the tread. They had about 20% tread left. Overall I was very pleased with the original Bridgestones on the 20" wheels. So I went ahead and replaced all 4 at discount tire. About 217 per tire and 950 after tax with standard mileage warranty and balance / rotate for life. Also included the tire damage warranty certificates. At first I thought I payed to much, but in all reality it was a great deal. The av rides so smooth plus I kept my old tires. The new Bridgestones handle so well and do great In the rain, not to mention they grip like crazy. Absolutely no wheel spin.

2007 Chevy Avalanche LTZ
20'' MB Wheels (TKO) Matte Black
Locking Lugs
20% Tint All Around
Weather Tech Floor Mats
K&N Cold Air 57-3058
Magnaflow Exhaust
AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs
Bosch Performance Plug Wires (RED)
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: