• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

New Tire Replacement Survey

gjjb

SM 2006
I had Goodyear Wranglers on my truck when I bought it. They were a soft riding tire, but they felt like balloons when I rounded corners.

After 50,000 miles, I put on a set of Goodyear Triple Treads. I've hated these tires...they made my soft riding Avi into a buck-board riding wagon. I have 30,000 miles on them, and to my glee, they are worn out.

Now the $100,000 question....

What tires do I replace the Triple Treads with?

I want soft riding tires, that are tough enough to pull a 5,000lb camper. I drive 98% of the time on the highway.

My favorite choice is The MIchelin LTX M/S II, but they are so expensive.

My next choice are the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza H/L- these look really good, and are a lot less money.

And 3rd, are the BF Goodrich L/T Long Trails.

I appreciate all your responses. It's a big, expensive decision that lasts for a long time. I am looking forward to having my Cadillac riding Avi back.

Thanks in advance.
  (y)
Gjjbmoore

Yeah, I had about 40k miles on my original tires and got below a tread depth I was comfortable with.  So I bet the bullet and bought a set of the Michelins. 

So far they're great.  (y)

Drove from Atlanta to LA (lower Alabama) and the ride was real smooth.

I went with the Firestone A/T.
Same tire as the Bridgestone at less cost.
Ride great and look good.
Can't comment on the mileage as they have 30,000 and show no wear.

I have had the LTX's on for about 12k miles and am very happy with them. They will ride rougher than the previouse tires that you had because they are an LT not a P, but for towing a 5k trailer they will be much better and should last longer.

Kelly

Goodyear Triple treads for me.

Been happy now for heck I cannot remember how long... I have had them...

Tire pressure has more effect on feel then tire IMO

gjjbmoore said:
IMy favorite choice is The MIchelin LTX M/S II, but they are so expensive.

I splurged on the Michelins.  The ride feels so much better than the old Wranglers (that still supposedly had plenty of mileage left in them) and they are hands down better for wet roads.  I don't tow, so not sure about that, but my stopping distance improved tremendously.

Michelin LTX are the best. Ride smooth, last long (80k often). Yhey may be expensive but a worthwhile investment. Tires are the single most important maintenance item on you vehicle from an overall standpoint.  It may seem like a lot but it will be worht it in the long run.

Avalon

I replaced the stock Goodyear's at 42K with Yokohama Geolander AT's.
I am close to hitting 50K on them, and think I have about another 10K left on them. Plan on using the same tire again.

Good ride, great on wet roads. I like them all the way around. (y)

I bought Wrangler Silent Armor (255/75r17) for my Yukon XL last November.  That size is 1/3" taller and 1/3" narrower than stock 265/70r17.  I sure cant tell the difference.  I am very happy with the highway, wet performance, snow performance, and treadwear.  Just bought a 2006 Avalanche with bald tires and found a very similar deal at Treaddepot on the same tire. Just ordered them.  $350 less $40 rebate.  Even with shipping and install the total will be under $450.  The 265/70r17 will run you $300 more.  Gotta love the odd size!!  (y)

I had the Goodyear Fortera Triple Treads and just recently got a flat. They don't look good, and they don't feel very good either. I don't have any extra money to spend, so I got some Bridgestone Duelers A/T I believe, they are on the back, and I'm wearing the hell out of the triple treads on the front. The Duelers I got were only about $150 or so from Costco, and they have just enough off-road attitude for me.

I've ran Cooper's for years on my trucks. Have dealt with locally owned tire shop
for about 30 years now. A couple of years back I was looking for a winter
tire he suggested Nokian's. I loved how they performed and how quiet they were on my One Ton GMC 4X4. So when the AVY need new shoes I purchased
the Nokian Vatiivas A/T. Have 15k on them, wear seems good and happy with ride and performance while towing. I believe he told me the Nokian is made by Cooper. I like the softer ride. 
My through in.
JV

BF Goodrich All-Terain tires 265-70-17 on my 2002 Z71 I think its the best tire going, tough tire for towing, strong sidewalls for weight, great traction in all weather
                                          and not too noisy on the highway.They make the Ave look like it should !!! Ready for anything :love:

I had Goodyear Fortera Triple Treads on an '07 GMC Yukon this past couple of years. They were much quieter than the Bridgestone Dueler A/T's that are on the Av right now. Also with the winter snows we had in the Northeast this past winter, the Yukon didn't slip once, never a problem. When it comes time to replace the Av's shoes, it is getting the Triple Treads. Had 30,000 plus miles on the Triple Treads and were wearing very well. I do rotate the tires every oil change.

My 2? or there abouts

Toyo Open Country AT I have 50K on mine and over half tread left. Around the same time I put a set of Cooper ATR on my Suburban and at 20k they are noisy and almost down to the markers.

I have Nokian Vatiivas A/Ts and I would not recommend them.  Although they are great on snow and ice, in 3 years I had 3 out of 4 tires slip belts.  One, two years ago and the last two yesterday.  I also found that the forth tire to have radial wires showing.  I still have 15000 mi. left on the warranty.  Unfortunately, I do not have the receipt for the tires so I am SOL.
I am getting the Michelin LTX at Costco, very good store warranty with nitrogen, as soon as I find $810.

I ordered a new set last Friday including spare.

Currently I am using BF All Terrains TAs in load range C. They have great snow traction but are loud and far too aggressive.

After much research I ordered 5 GoodYear Silent Armor. LT 275 70/R17. They`re just small enough not to rub but will fill out my wheel wells nicely.

They offer great snow traction, are tough enough for gravel highway, are good highway tires and are quiet. They were expensive but I take tires very seriously.

Anyone know the rating of the MIchelin LTX M/S?
I have a 26' travel trailer to pull, dry wt. 4520, GVWR 6010.
I know these are good tires but are they rated for pulling my trailer?
Thanks

PEKSAV said:
Anyone know the rating of the MIchelin LTX M/S?
I have a 26' travel trailer to pull, dry wt. 4520, GVWR 6010.
I know these are good tires but are they rated for pulling my trailer?
Thanks

Load Range E will do the job, maybe even a D. However, I couldn't find anything less than an E in a 17" LTX.

We have a 2003 F-150 and a 1992 Chevy 2wd 1/2ton with Firestone Destination A/T's and couldn't be happier.  The F-150 has a trailer behind it more than not and has almost 70,000 miles on these tires.  We will be replacing them before winter along with the Goodyear HP's that came on my AV when I recently purchased it.

Nexen Roadian's. Tires handle great dry or wet have 13000 on them still like new. Will never buy Good Year again.

I love the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza H/L, price is right,, I have the 20's,, 9,000 mile's look like day 1

My needs are slightly different since I have a 2500.  I previously had BFG AT KO's and this time around went with Hankook RF10's.  They cost a ton less and so far the only difference I can tell is they are quieter.  I'm waiting for the snow to hit.  I snowboard weekly, but other owners of these tires stated they were awesome in the snow.  Time will tell.

There really isn't a better tire on the market than the Firestone Destination A/T.  Highest rated on Tirerack.  I was a service advisor for 11 years and sold tires weekly and these were one of my best sellers.  You do need to rotate/balance them every 5000 miles like any other tire.  If you don't do it with an a/t tire, you'll have very noisy cupping.  LTX M/S's are great, but overpriced IMO. 

Back