• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Window Regulator question

MS03 2500

PM 2017
PM 2015
SM 2014
PM 2013
PM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
For all of the folks that had one of these go out, did it sound like a knock when the window goes up. ???

if the cable is frayed, it could possibly sound that way, the frayed cable catching in the regulator and pulling, I believe when I changed Stans out his was knocking he said,  but was already dead by the time I got  to it.  You know as well as I Byron how quick it is to take the door panel off and check it out, get busy man!

Didit

Thanks didit. It will have wait till friday. Got mom duty tonight

MS03 2500 said:
For all of the folks that had one of these go out, did it sound like a knock when the window goes up. ???

I think mine sounded more like a crackling noise when raising the window. If it gets real bad, you may have to pull the window up by hand while pushing the switch. On the plus side, it is a real easy and fast job. But on my 02, there was a design change on the mounting hardware. the bolts were replaced by studs and nuts. Or was it the other way round?? In any case, you may want a little extra metric hardware on hand just on case.

carnut said:
I think mine sounded more like a crackling noise when raising the window. If it gets real bad, you may have to pull the window up by hand while pushing the switch. On the plus side, it is a real easy and fast job. But on my 02, there was a design change on the mounting hardware. the bolts were replaced by studs and nuts. Or was it the other way round?? In any case, you may want a little extra metric hardware on hand just on case.

Thanks it sounds like a knocking noise, it suprise me. I thought what the heck was that.

Well it finally broke, Front passenger side.  :E: :E: :E:

Hey Byron, there not that bad to change, just tape the window in the up position and some bolts and its out. Back in the days of working on my Chevelle and doing the window reg. was a b**th  to get the window to line up, today easy-pesy, hardest part is the door panel.  R.

The old girl just ain't treating me right even thou I bought her a new pair of shoes this week.

I ordered one from Amazon for 51 bucks and it will be here Monday, it's been a long time since I took the door panel off it took 20 minutes.

Good grief what a cheap POS dorman regulaor , back to amazon it goes. Very light aluminum and no center support for the rails. I should have known better than to Dorman crap, it won't even push the window all the way up.

Yes, no more aftermarket for me nether, I replaced the fog light assembles on the Avy with OEM ones after looking at the re-pops. I feel your pain.

I couldn't believe how cheaply they were made, it weights half of what the original was.

0606171512_zpshxosvvsa.jpg

0606171513_zpspvrdonxg.jpg

0606171513a_zps653amaw3.jpg

And you can just swap the motor nether, I looked at that for my bad motor on the 03 suburban that had a bad motor on the passengers front.

You read my mind, I thought the motor was riveted on but turns out they are bolted on. Now I have to find a decent motor.

No doubt the aftermarket dorman regulators are far inferior to the OEM ones. I've replaced both front window regulators with the dorman motor/ regulator combo from amazon on my 03 1500 ave. I've had good luck with them both! Unfortunately Dorman pretty much makes 99% of the regulators i've put on vehicles. (I do roughly 10-20 regulators a month on customer vehicles) They all seem pretty flimsy compared to OEM but I've had really good luck with them. The only one I had an issue was on ford explorers, I installed it and every time you put the window up and down it would make a terrible cracking noise, ended up getting a motorcraft unit from the dealer and it solved the problem without issue. Since then on those vehicles I only go dealer. I often lube up the window rail after installing the regulator so the window glides nice and easily. When you tested it after installation was the truck on or off?

Yeah that was one of the first things I did was add some lube to it, before I tried to replace it.

One thing I did notice also with the dorman the sliders were not even the rear was 1/2 inch lower.

Back