• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Cruise Through the Whites, 10/10/10

james21

Cruise Coord
PM 2021
PM 2019
PM 2014
PM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
Well soon enough it'll be fall, and the leaves will be turning again, and I wanted to throw this out there to see if there's any interest for a cruise through the White Mtns again. Last year it was rather nasty out and I think most of the leaves were on the ground, so I would like to try and do it in October this year. It would be the same route up the Kangamagus from  Conway and ending in Lincoln.

Given that last year was my first time running the cruise and my first time on the Kanc in about 3 yrs, it was a pretty breif tour, but I promise to make a lot more stops this year and hopefully it'll be sunny. Last year we found a good place to grab a bite after the drive, but I'm going scope it out and see whats available if we get a good size group.

So I think shooting for the middle toward the end of October would be best, the dates would be October 10, 17, 24, or 31. I figure no one would want to go out on Halloween, but figured I'd throw that out there. So post up and think about which date would suit you best, and whether you think you can make it or not.

James.

Ok So Who's Coming:

1. James21
2. Kevmack (On the Fence)
3. Chevzilla AV
4. Avalanch0251
5. Duneit +2
6. 04#231 +2?
7. JB666 (definitely, he just doesn't know it yet >:D, j/k )
8. Dmcc1000 +2
9. ItsStopher (Maybe)
10. Hot Rod +1

Nice  (y)

I will be home by then... If my wife OK's it we could have a GTG at our house after the cruise  :cool:

Its good to see some interest. Hoping more will post up, so we can get a decent showing. After more post up we can figure out a date.

-James.

Hi James,
Hope all is going well  :wave: I have been missing for a while (AV in accident) But I'm back!  (y)

I would :love:to do a Whites Cruise on the Kang...I think it has been 2 years for me know.  Unfortunatly all I have available is Oct 24th. So if it is then...I'm in!

Russ

I have to say that I think we may need to go on the cruise earlier this year. Due to the extremely hot and dry summer, the leaves in my area have already turned and are starting to fall. There's still a good number of trees with green, but I think they are going to turn a lot earlier. I'm thinking that by the 1st week of October, they'll be mostly down. So you guys let me know what you want to do.

-James.

If our move goes as planned, we will only be 1.5 hrs from Cooperstown. We would be in  :D

I'm on the fence... I vote for a rain date this year though..and spare keys for Nick... LOL

KevMack said:
I'm on the fence... I vote for a rain date this year though..and spare keys for Nick... LOL
Well I got to talk a drive up there first, and see what the leaves are like and to scout the run, figure out the best spots to stop. So right now judging by what the leaves are like around here, it looks like the end of Sept or beginning of Oct.

James.

james21 said:
Well I got to talk a drive up there first, and see what the leaves are like and to scout the run, figure out the best spots to stop. So right now judging by what the leaves are like around here, it looks like the end of Sept or beginning of Oct.

James.

Well guys i travel route 4 everyday in vermont and most of the leaves have not even started to trun yet.  And with all of the water we have gotten i think it is going to be a late folliage year.  but you never know because when they start to turn it can be like turning on the light switch.  and again up in the whites can be whole nother world up there.

Yeah thats why I think a drive will help me to determine what da we should shoot for.

James.

I'll see how my schedule goes, I may be able to attend  :cool:

Ok guys, I went through the Whites yesterday, good day to do it, sunny and mild, and surprisingly it was still pretty green, except for at the top, there were some trees already in full bloom. Its been getting colder up there, so the leaves are turning quicker, but looking at all the surrounding peaks, I'd say they're only at 5%-10% if that. So right now I'm thinking first, second ,or third weekend. I'm thinking the the second weekend will be close to peak, but we'll have to see. I want to know who is planning on going, definitely/maybe and which date(s) will work for you.

This year I plan to stop at least 6 times; I stopped at a bunch of places that I saw last year and didnt stop because I didn't know the run that well. Now I have it down to the mileage and if it isn't too packed it should be good. There are a couple places that were requested to stop at last year so, we can make that stop this year. I really wish there was a higher water level in the river so you could really see the falls at some of the stops. But the lower level allowed me to go almost across the whole river using the rocks (y).

So I definitely think this year will be a good run, so let me know what you guys think and want to do.

James.

When you say stop at places you mean scenic views? Or places to stop and eat? Do you guys stop and eat or do we pack lunch?

Scenic Places, we usually get something to eat after the cruise.

James.

Put me down as a maybe I have to check my work schedule see what days are good

Ok, so another member, Marc(Avalanche0251), asked me last night about possibly trying to get a group rate at a hotel in the area the night before the cruise. Now that has been done in the past, and I wanted to see, what everyones thoughts were on the idea? I was really just planning a one day event and maybe expand it to a cruise up Mt Washington next year w/ an overnight stay.
So I want your guys opinions, on getting up there Saturday, spending the night and then doing the cruise on the Kanc on Sunday; or do you just want to do a one day cruise on Saturady or Sunday?

So let me know what you guys want.

James.

Back