• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Need a good Trans place - SE Michigan

03GRNAVE

Okay, so i need to get my trans rebuilt and need an honest and reasonably priced place to take it. 

I am not spending 2k+ to get a Jasper or anything like that.  I just want to have it rebuilt.  What is it realisticlly going to cost me to have this thing rebuilt? 

It has an irregular 1-2 shift (or delay you could call it), and the 2-3 shift slips.  It also seems to be loosing pressure when it downshifts.  Its okay if i baby it, but i'm tired of not being able to pull my boat, and just plain "drivability" sucks because i can't murge in some cases because i'm afraid to hurt it even more.

Call Tom at:
Excalibur Transmission
409 East Russell Road
Tecumseh, MI 49286
517-423-7475

I've never had to have a trans rebuilt but if I did this is the guy who would do it.  Tom has serviced the trans in different vehilcles including my AV.  He has been in business quite a few ears. He has always done a good job at a very fair price.  Tell him Dave Bird referred you to him.  Ask him for a ballpark price.

If you know a GM employee, I would spend the money for a Goodwrench replacement, transmission and torque convertor, mine cost about $1,600 for my 99 Sierra Z71.  The factory guts the cases and puts in new components, really worth the money!

At the risk of hijacking this thread - any recommendations for a good place in the Lansing area?  Tecumseh isn't really THAT far from Lansing, so I'd be willing to make the drive. But if there's anyone from the region with a solid recommendation I would like to hear it.

Thanks in advance.

The best place I have used has been RC Trans & Gear.

Randy [the owner] has been great to work with on projects I did not have the time for.  Probably one of the most honest people I have met.

I was having 4WD issues recently.  I dropped the truck off with the encoder motor in a box [a new one and the original] and he looked at it and did a diagnosis.  It was electrical related [as the new Korean Dorman encoder motor was defective!].

Randy didn't charge me a cent even after he spent the time to look at it.  I also had him and his shop do some work on my 1971 LeMans with great results...and a few years prior he did some work on my brothers old GMC Typhoon.

Hands down a great shop and person to deal with.

The cool part of his shop is that he has posters and articles from old muscle and random projects he worked on, really neat!

http://rctransandgear.com/

Dan

Back