• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

GMT800 to GMT900 Brake Upgrade w/pictures

TXSZ66AVLANCHE

Finally I have accumulated all the parts to convert my 04 Z66 to GMT900 front brake's :B: the 07 and up GM trucks use a 13 inch rotor and a larger caliper, the older trucks use a 12 inch rotor. Its a very simple mod and the results are AMAZING! Everything is direct bolt on with no modification needed. I used GM PPV Brake calipers, Performance Friction Z rated brake pads, and Centrix rotors. The origanal plan was to use Durastop slotted rotors but it appears that GM does not make slotted rotors for the 07 and up trucks. Total cost was around $450 and works just as good if not better than a big brake kit. The idea of painted calipers (Chevy Orange) sounded good but if I did it again I would leave them unpainted.

Part Numbers
Caliper w/bracket 19176793
Caliper w/bracket 19176794
Pads 1092.10 Performance Friction

OEM1.jpg

OEM Rotors, Calipers, PFC Pads

OEM2.jpg

OEM Close up

OEMvsCentrix1.jpg

OEM vs Centrix

OEMvsCentrix2.jpg

OEM vs Centix

Centrix2.jpg

GMT900

Centrix3.jpg

Got any part numbers ??  From the research I've been doing the front brakes off of the rear drum equipped trucks are the best.

Part numbers added to post. The caliper parts listed above include the caliper mounting bracket and hardware with them, paid about $190 for the pair at the dealer, they are also Police Tahoe calipers that have high temperature seals on the pistons. You can just buy calipers at any local auto parts store for around $50 each.

I got the rotors on ebay, there is no brand name in the listing but they are Centric brake rotors.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170525814070&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Brake pads also came from ebay

Calipers came from the dealer

Do they fit under stock 17 inch wheels  ???

Yes, they will fit under 17in wheels....BUT if you have a 16in spare it wont fit than one! I picked up a 18in Titan steel wheel to use as a spare.

Good to know...I have a matching stock 17 inch for a spare  :love:

Hey great info TXSZ66AVLANCHE  I completed my swap on my 05 Z71 just a few days ago and what a big improvement.  Thxs (y)

Hey...you cant do a mod without adding pictures! Even if we have all done the same mod...

What parts did you end up using?

Thanks for all the posts and information :)
I went with local "performance parts" from NAPA. The application that I used was a 2007 Tahoe.
Eclipse reman calipers with brackets, Reactive One slotted bidirectional rotors, Adaptive One ceramic pads. The total came to just under $405

partz.JPG

Some comparison shots:

brackets.JPG

Brackets and two rotors in the background

calipers.JPG

At first I thought that the caliper pistons were smaller. In the first shot it looks that way, but the second shows the larger piston of the new caliper. Very deceiving. Nice that everything came painted and ready to install. I like that.

lbrake.JPG
rbrake.JPG

A comparison of the pads shows only a small increase in contact area. Most of the swap benefit must come from the mechanical advantage. The rotors and pads will be the rest of the improvement.
Total time to swap and bleed, two hours with room to spare. I have had only limited testing with these rotors in the fleet. They do bed in pretty easily and evenly. It is a little too soon to say just how much of an improvement they will be , but with the "rose colored glasses" still on, the improvement is noticeable. Less effort to bring this thing down. It feels much better.

appears main difference is OD of New Rotor is larger which gives you a lot more braking torque from same pad forces....

interesting...

ygmn said:
appears main difference is OD of New Rotor is larger which gives you a lot more braking torque from same pad forces....

interesting...
I think so. The mechanical advantage is the primary enhancement. The larger piston diameters increase the pressure per square inch and even though one half square inch increased pad area is small, every little bit helps. I am sure the whole combination together adds up to an impressive improvement even without performance pads and rotors.

I still don't have a good OS! stop to tell the tale. I can say that "it just feels right". Before it was definitely "wrong". Just not enough brake for three tons of steel being hurled don the road.

another satisfied raybestos customer...(napa brakes are made by raybestos)

Part Number: 580279PER
Brand: Raybestos
UPC Number :  829352747773  
Sub Brand: PERFORMANCE
Grade: HIGH PERFORMANCE
Type: Brake Rotor

Attachments

• 580279PER.jpg
    580279PER.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 2,239
jimbo53188 said:
another satisfied raybestos customer...(napa brakes are made by raybestos)

Part Number: 580279PER
Brand: Raybestos
UPC Number :  829352747773  
Sub Brand: PERFORMANCE
Grade: HIGH PERFORMANCE
Type: Brake Rotor

When I look up the part number I dont see a listing for 2002 2500 Avalanche? Did I miss something?

roadrunner said:
When I look up the part number I dont see a listing for 2002 2500 Avalanche? Did I miss something?
the part # fits 07 and up 1500's. raybestos does make the "new" style rotors for 2500's but the old style slotted and drilled are being discontinued  (n)

Are 2500 brakes the same as 1500 brakes?  Is this a bolt-on mod for 2500 trucks too?

Also, when increasing the mechanical advantage of the front brakes should you adjust the brake bias?  

mountainstoner said:
Are 2500 brakes the same as 1500 brakes?  Is this a bolt-on mod for 2500 trucks too?

Also, when increasing the mechanical advantage of the front brakes should you adjust the brake bias? 
1500 is NOt the same as 2500 brakes..

similar parts if I remember like the 1500 front pads work on 2500 rears or something like that

i think i caused some confusion. My apologies i have a 2002 1500 wondering if this upgade would work on mine. What is the difference between GMT800, GMT900

toddhowudoing said:
i think i caused some confusion. My apologies i have a 2002 1500 wondering if this upgade would work on mine. What is the difference between GMT800, GMT900

The GMT 800 and similar GMT 880 was the basis for the 1999-2006 Chevrolet Silverado full-size pickup truck. The derived GMT 820 and GMT 830 was used in the Suburban, among other full-size SUVs. This is the successor to the GMT 400 series of C/K pickups and SUV's.

The GMT 900 debuted at the 2006 North American International Auto Show, as the next generation C/K full-size pickup's and SUV's, and replacements for the GMT 800's. The first GMT 900 vehicle was the Chevrolet Tahoe, which arrived at dealers in January 2006. The GMC Yukon (regular and Denali) and Cadillac Escalade soon followed. Chevrolet Avalanches and Suburbans, GMC Yukon XL's, and Cadillac Escalade ESV and EXT were at dealers July 2006.

Taking a second to Thank the people here for putting up this guide. I was very frustrated with my 05 brakes and now I'm happy to say everything worked perfectly. I used a mix of Napa, Hawk and Centrix parts and everything is working great. I used a 2007 Tahoe as the application with no problems.

Thanks again.  (y)

Sweet work guys!

I'm getting EBC sport rotors and yellow pads from a 07tahoe, matching it with the PPV Tahoe calipers/pistons the OP stated, and while I'm at it gonna put EBS sports and yellow's on the rear too.

Cha Ching, maybe my fat ol girl will stop on her nose now.  I'm excited, gonna take those part numbers to Stealer this week.

Thanks again fellas!  (y)

This has been by favorite mod by far, I am using a race coumpound pad now and the stopping power and brake dust is insane. Rear pads are worn out now so I can justify slotted rotors and pads now.

Stock GMT800 fronts are 12" diameter, rears already 13", the upgrade is to GMT900 fronts at 13". 

To get larger rear's you would need to get new (larger IE 18-20 inch) rims and a big brake kit.  Just FYI those get very expensive, very quickly.

Good question though, I wondered the same until I did some digging.

Back