AVALANCHE
Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
12/16/17 03:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GMT800 to GMT900 Brake Upgrade w/pictures  (Read 131692 times)
qreaigh
CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member

Awards
« Reply #200 on: 07/29/17 11:13 am »

I just ordered from rock auto rotor brake caliper kit to do the GMT900 upgrade and I was looking at the calipers and they only have one piston.  I thought they would have two pistons. I ordered for an 08 Tahoe 5.3l v8 Part number PWR KCOE2083.

Upon further research of my order the ones I ordered was listed under daily driver and the Premium kit seems to have two pistons on the rotor.

Is there going to be a big difference between having one or two pistons on the caliper or is just having a larger rotor going to make a difference?

Trying to decide if I want to return what I have and get the Premium Kit.

banghead I solved my own problem I ordered rear by mistake  banghead

2006 LS 4X4 3.42 Sport Red, College Park, MD,
 MODs: Amber's, Kenwood DNX892 HU, FTDRL, wade color matched bug deflector, weather tech window deflectors, bed slide
ygmn
Administrator

Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .

Awards
« Reply #201 on: 07/30/17 04:53 am »

2 piston better than one as provides better pressures against pads over larger area of 2 pistons

Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
Maniac

Awards
« Reply #202 on: 11/23/17 05:05 am »

Anyone know if classic pad fit with police package? what is the difference between? shape are different or is just the component?
 Thumbs up!

2002 z71 1500.
redheadedrod
CAFCNA 2015 Premium Member

2003 Z71

Awards
« Reply #203 on: 11/23/17 10:10 am »

Police package just had thicker pads. Caliper has longer travel to handle thicker pads. No real benefit to them other than longevity from what I have seen.

(My Caprice was a police car and going with better quality rotor and pads outweighed having the thicker pads. And the police calipers were far more expensive since they were of much lower demand. )

Others may have different opinions but that is what my experience has been.

Rodney

2003 Cladded Black Z71 - PC installed otherwise mostly stock.
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal
All on high and FTDRL (BCM friendly version)
MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #204 on: 11/25/17 10:01 pm »

I would never ever use a police brake parts. The pads are severe duty and wear out the rotor.

2003 2500
redheadedrod

2003 Z71

Awards
« Reply #205 on: 11/26/17 07:43 am »

I would never ever use a police brake parts. The pads are severe duty and wear out the rotor.

Depends on the configuration.
In some cases they get upgraded rotors too but I have also (rarely) seen ceramic police pads as well. But generally when you get non-ceramic pads you get a pad that dusts like crazy and MAY wear out the rotor faster depending on how abrasive the material is. Better stopping, the more abrasive generally.

Realistically if you have the GMT800 system the police found that ONE panic stop from 100+ mph was enough to warp the rotors. This is a major reason why GM went to the bigger rotors of the GMT900.

Also if your looking for the best setup, get the best quality pads/rotors you can afford. The police units are more expensive because they are rare, not because they are better. You can get much better stopping qualities with better quality components.

4 Light Brake/Turnsignal
Maniac

Awards
« Reply #206 on: 11/27/17 02:55 am »

Thanks Dude,

in fact my question concern the shape of the pads, if a pad non-police can fit with a police caliper? if I look in summit shop, their pads are not described police or regular pads

Huh

My calipers are  RC11713P and RC11714 P, without spreading finger
« Last Edit: 11/27/17 03:30 am by Maniac » Logged

2002 z71 1500.
redheadedrod

2003 Z71

Awards
« Reply #207 on: 11/27/17 12:26 pm »

Thanks Dude,

in fact my question concern the shape of the pads, if a pad non-police can fit with a police caliper? if I look in summit shop, their pads are not described police or regular pads

Huh

My calipers are  RC11713P and RC11714 P, without spreading finger

If you compare police and non-police models you should see the pad is thicker on the police model. That SHOULD be the only difference.

4 Light Brake/Turnsignal
JVZL1

Looking For A Crew Cab Pick UP Drove An AVY

Awards
« Reply #208 on: 11/28/17 08:06 pm »

The police package calipers also have upgraded seals on the pistons.
For taking the heat for less fade.

'03 Z71 Dark Gray Cladded
Bug Visor,Floormats;Full Time Amber DRL's; Rear Head Rest Mod; INJEN Tuned Air Intake;MSD wires;ALL ON HIGH;Grippin Billet tailgate handle Magnum black;EBC Brakes;RS9000XL Shocks;Moog Steering Stabilizer;HP Tune From Superwagon;Dual Batteries;Painless 40120 Digital Power Manager; FF Dynamics Electric Fans; DynoMax VT;
JV
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: