• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Is XM really worth it?

cuchulainn

I just found out that my 03 Av has XM Radio as well. I thought about re-activating it; but, is it really worth the price? I mean $130 a year is a little high for something I may not use much! I mean my wife talked me into Direct TV and we can never seem to find much worth watching! Opinions?

I think XM is good if you travel a lot and would loose regular radio reception either due to terrain or distance. Or if you don't have a local radio station that plays what you want to hear. Nice to be able to listen to one station coast to coast. XM is also good if you like talk radio or sports on radio.
I think if you are good with an IPOD or similar device you might save money in the long run by downloading your songs onto a music device and playing it through the AV radio. If you don't use the new devices then XM can be nice. I have it on my 2008 AV and listen to it all the time. I also have XM on one of my bikes too.
(you are right- I was thinking of Onstar digital vs. analog in first post-since deleted) OOPs. >:D

03s Stock XM still work, I think you are thinking about On-star. I did the 20 bucks for 7 months deal, now I have 5 bucks per month deal.

IMHO, ever since the merger everything that made XM great was lost... too much DJ talk, random commercials on various stations, many of which I listened to... and then they chose to raise prices AND charge for internet listening. I felt like I was being slapped in the face after that and gave up on them... I miss the original XM  :6:

I'm a old guy and like the classic rock station 50 60 70 and Deep Tracks

Here is a post about the specials from XM

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,50784.0.html

On the road a lot (3 years now at 88,000 miles).  Will never be without it.  Period.  AM/FM sucks.  XM forever.

It was a lot better before the merger, lately Sirius has been killing off everything that was XM.  I have it in my work vehicle along with my two personal vehicles and wouldnt be without it.  No matter where you go you have the same station no more searching and getting nothing worth listening to.

I too take a lot of trips and XM has been a great friend on the road. I've got to where I listen to it more than the local stations.

we have XM on  a 06 and my wife now wants one her vehicle, I always said I would never pay for radio but XM is the bomb

I said that too I would never pay for radio, but I also said it about TV. :laugh:

I recently reactivated my XM. They offered me 5 months of service for $20. I'll see what they're willing to do when that offer expires. I love the Boneyard and Hair Nation channels.

I just called them and told them about the promo I heard about they then transferred me to the Promo agent and got the 5 buck deal which I can live with. Actually it's 4.99 a month.

Don't forget you have to call in to cancel or they will keep charging you card.

I've had XM since 2004, they usually send me a notice before charging my card since I pay once a year. I listen to comedy, baseball & hockey before work and at lunch. Running errands in an out of the truck just a push of a button gives me the score. Never used the internet XM much so don't miss it.

I listen to Classic Vinyl and other older music stations too.
One good reason to have XM, it shuts the wife up  :cool:
When Wendy's with me we play "Name that Tune", push the button for Title & Artist

I bought lifetime membership for few hundred.... had it for.. heck I forget...

and yes I wear out the comedy channels

When Howard Stern went over to satellite radio so did I. I wish i would have got it before. There is always some thing to listen to.

I liked the XM radio in my Avalanche so much that I bought one of the add-ons to use in my other car, and when I bought a new car XM was one of my must haves.  I really liked the availability of Weather Channel information as I traveled around the country.  Now, they've taken it away.  In my opinion XM has been going downhill ever since they merged with Sirius.    (n)

All of my favorite channels have been gradually disappearing. Now, with the demise of the Weather Channel and their move to charge extra for the once free Internet access, I'll probably not renew my subscriptions next year.    :mad:

I love having so many channel's to choose from. $130? Wow, thats cheap! I paid over 200 for mine back in Feb. I recently found out I had the playboy channel, but could care less for it. I wear out the comedy channels as well. Just found out that they changed my favorite radio station here to some other format, I had no idea. Thats how much I listen to FM anymore.

it boils down to: if you do alot of driving then yeah it's worth it. if you're only going back n forth to work 20-30mins each i'd say no. you have FM, CD's or your IPOD to listen to in that short run. i have sirus but i only got it cause i'm a truck driver. going through city after city too many stations come and go you spend so much time just changing the channel. it does have a bunch of things to choose from. things from the elvis channel to 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's to heavy metal, rap, to buisness, cnn, to any sports game, to old shows that use to only be aired on the radio. there is something for everyone. as for cost, it depends on what package you get. they offer like 6 packages that range from, 7-20/month or save more money by payin yearly either 1 or 2 years

I don't drive far often but before work & lunch adds up to an hour a day I listen to XM
When I drive north in Michigan the choice of FM stations drops off really quick,...

Back