• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Freeze plug leaking

komell

I posted a couple days ago talking about a small coolant leak I have, that i thought was a water pump. I looked real carefully today and felt all around the water pump and didnt feel any coolant leaking. I finally traced the leak very closely and found that it seem to be the freeze plug on the passenger side of the timing cover that has a a small leak, which is running down the front of the engine and down the oil pan.  Which is right under the water pump.  Are these a pain in the paint to change out.  It obviously seems like i have to take the water pump assembly off to get to the plug.  It also only seems to leak when i let it sit overnight.  If anyone has some tips or opinions,  i would appreciate it.

Thanks

I'm not  sure on the newer engines, probably about the same though, the biggest challenge like you found out is getting to it, years ago I used a big screwdriver to poke a hole and pry them out, then take a socket the size of the inside diamerter of the  new freeze plug and tap it back in with a little silicone sealant.  Also make sure you clean the mating surface on the block before reinserting the new plug.  Not sure this is gonna help ya much but its the old school way, lol

Didit

Ya I dont think the actually freeze plug will be too bad. Its just a matter or getting to it.  Its weird though there is almost no threads on a leaking freeze plug by the timing cover.  So either I'm wrong, or I'm just that unlucky.  Cause i cant actually see the freeze plug, cause its set in to far for me to see. But im almost positive thats it.  I see it seeping out of the cavity.

What year and engine do you have.

I think you are seeing a oil gallery plug on the very front of the engine side, so I don't think that is leaking. You can get a coolant leak detector kit from a auto parts store that can help you. It has some dye in it.

I can see where the coolant is coming out.  Like i said i cant actually see a freeze plug or anything because its kind of tucked in.  And all the pumps and belts and etc are in the way.  I was just assuming that there is a freeze plug there, and that's what its leaking from.  Cause im pretty sure there are two freeze plugs in the front of the 5.3L.I tried taking pictures but the belt kept getting in the way.

Intake gasket ?  See it quite often at the dealership.

Ya Im pretty sure its not the intake gasket.  I dunno what it is for sure.  It seems to be leaking worse now tho.  It only really leaks when it sits overnight i see a puddle.  I never see it dripping throughout the day.  I guess I will just take the water pump out and inspect that and also the freeze plug or whatever else could be leaking.  Cause its got to be one or the other.

Back