• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Help With Strut Spacer Leveling Kit

Jake

I just got through TRYING to install a leveling kit on my 2010 LTZ, but had to put everything back to stock.  The kit is a 2.5" front/1.5" rear leveling kit off of ebay.  This kit uses an aluminum spacer that attaches to the top of the strut and pucks for the rear.  The front blocks have 3 holes used to attach the spacer to the strut.  The spacer also has 3 studs used to mount to the truck.  The problem was this, once I bolted the stud to the top mount, the bottom 2 stud mounting holes were rotated (due to using the studs on the spacer) about 1/2".  There was no way to align the bottom bolts to finish attaching the strut.  As far as I could tell, there was no way to rotate or twist the bottom of the strut to align the holes.  I even tried swapping the struts, but no dice.  The truck is an autoride truck, so that may be the problem.  I was just under the impression that the front struts were the same regardless.  This kit is very similar to the Readylift leveling kits.  So, if any of you have experience or advice I would appreciate it.

Thanks

When I did mine, I had to switch the right and left sides to make it fit, was part of the instructions with mine.
Still took a little persuasion to get it together.

I tried that and I had the same result... out of align.  So, can the bottom of the strut be twisted?

With the spring pushing against you, it's going to be tough, I'd think you'd have to compress the spring to do that.
I did have problems because the bottom attachment point on the struts were angled wrong, but got a longer bolt to pull it toward the proper angle, then used the original bolts to tighten it up.

msdinsp said:
With the spring pushing against you, it's going to be tough, I'd think you'd have to compress the spring to do that.
I did have problems because the bottom attachment point on the struts were angled wrong, but got a longer bolt to pull it toward the proper angle, then used the original bolts to tighten it up.

Yeah, that is the exact problem I'm having.  I may give it a whirl again tomorrow and use some persuasive force to get the bottom bolts to work.  I like your idea, but I may use high grade bolts to pull the strut to the proper angle and just keep them in place.

Maybe this will help  :dunno:  Below is a section of the instructions from installing the Daystar Leveling kit
http://www.4wheelonline.com/Images/CategoryImages/daystar/chevy/P11107.pdf

11. Pull the strut down so you can remove the strut from the vehicle.
12. You will have to cut the stock strut bolts. Put the stock nuts back on and use them as a
guide to cut the studs. 
13. After you cut the studs remove the nuts and install the lift spacer.
14. Use the new nuts provided in the kit to install spacer.
15. Reinstall the strut. You will have to rotate the strut 180?.
16. Install the lower bolts first. The lower is under load so you will have to run up the bolts. The
holes will be off but will line up when you install the bolts. Tighten to 37 ft-lbs.
17. Install upper part of strut. Tighten to 37 ft-lbs.

GHP, thanks.  I'll try that as well.  I installed the upper first today, so maybe I'll have better luck going with the bottom first.  I'm determined to make this work.

UPDATE:  I contacted the seller and they are refunding 1/2 the price (I'm keeping the rear spacer) and advised me of a different style spacer which is the two piece design that won't rotate the strut.  I'll be ordering that one today and hopefully it may be here by the end of the week.  Thanks for everybody's help.

Good luck with everything and we still want to see pictures.

I'm planning on it.  I only have 1 picture so far and that is the "before" that I took when I started the work.  So, I was ready with the camera.  HA!

Ok, you're half way there!

It turned out looking great!  It does ride a little bit more stiff.  I can feel road imperfections/breaks at low speeds(-10 mph), but I also have larger rolling stock and stiffer sidewalls. 

Attachments

• AV before.JPG
    AV before.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 132
  • AV after.JPG
    AV after.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 134
  • AV after 2.JPG
    AV after 2.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 133
black_magic said:
It turned out looking great!  It does ride a little bit more stiff.  I can feel road imperfections/breaks at low speeds(-10 mph), but I also have larger rolling stock and stiffer sidewalls. 
Ordered the kit, did you but the wheel and tire combo on at the same time, I'm sticking with stock for now

Looks Awesome i'm thinking of changing mine to something like that, could you PM or email me the seller you used so i can get the same kit.. thanks

I thought when you used the thick upper strut leveling kit you are supposed to swap the driver/passanger strut assemplies.  That keeps you from having to do any other modifications.  I have no practical experience with this, but I did read this on one of the manufacturers websites.

Back