Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
10/30/14 09:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2010 Avalanche LTZ towing capacity question  (Read 6098 times)
n240sxle91

Awards
« on: 10/06/10 07:38 PM »

I just bought a new 2010 Avalanche LTZ.  It does NOT have the HD Towing option, so it has the 3.08 axle ratio.  I was wondering what its towing capacity is?  I looked in the forum, but I didn't see an answer anywhere.  I looked in my manual and it does list towing capacities, but oddly enough it doesn't list any 3.08 4x4 configurations.  I also wasn't able to find a real answer on the Chevy website.  So, can anyone out there tell me the real numbers for my Avalanche?  Thanks!

Steve
n240sxle91

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 10/06/10 07:58 PM »

I did find a posting from user "Pinyon" that has the following table.  If I understand this correctly, my 2010 LTZ should be able to tow up to 5400 lbs.  Anything over 5000 lbs and I need a weight distribution hitch.  Does this sound correct to everyone?  Thanks!

Model                         Axle Ratio          Maximum Trailer Weight lbs. (kg)
CC10936                         3.08                           5100 (2313)
CC10936 w/K5L1           3.42                    8100 (3674)
CK10936                          3.08                           5400 (2449)
CK10936 w/K5L1           3.42                           7400 (3357)
Balance Of Judgment

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 10/11/10 05:54 PM »

OMG that sucks!, my 2002 is rated at 8100lbs!
n240sxle91

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 10/16/10 10:38 AM »

Yeah, it does suck!  However, I'm ok with it.  I have the 3.08 axle ratio matched with the newer 6-speed transmission.  That combo is giving me some pretty good gas mileage that the older Avys can't match.  I don't plan on towing more than a 25' boat, and the ones I looked at are under my max towing weight.  So, unless my towing needs change I think I'll be happy with my good gas mileage and "good enough" towing capacity.

That all being said, I'm sure it's nice to own a truck that can haul 8100lbs if you need it to!
Balance Of Judgment

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 10/16/10 05:51 PM »

A 6 speed would be nice, but my av dosnt do too bad with the 4:10's.  the lower gears just make your best MPG cruizing speed higher. (think of it like useing the lower gears on a multispeed bike)
if i cruize on the highway at 85MPH i will get 18MPG. and thats with a 6 inch lift and 36's. but at 55mph i get about 14, and city is about 12.
n240sxle91

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 10/20/10 09:16 PM »

I don't think that's right.  My rpms are lower than yours at any given speed, so my MPG would be better at any given speed.  The 4:10 means the drive shaft will rotate 4.10 times for every rotation of the rear tire.  This is what gives your truck its extra towing capacity and torque.  The 3.08 will turn 1.02 times less than the 4.10 for every rotation of the rear tire.  Thus, the RPM will be lower.  Of course the math differs slightly from your 4 speed and my 6 speed, but only in my favor since I have two over drive gears.

Out on the open highway I highly doubt any Avalanche would get 18MPG going 85MPH.  The faster you go the more wind resistance there is.  That wind resistance is even higher on trucks.  That all being said, your truck can still tow 2700 lbs more than my truck!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: