• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Looks like 2012 is the last year for the Avalanche and EXT

sorel

SM 2003
Next Generation GM Full Size Trucks, SUVs Time Line

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next Generation GM Full Size Trucks, SUVs Time Line
GMI uncovers the current launch schedule for the next GM trucks.
www.gminsidenews.com
October 6, 2010
By: Nick Saporito

Last week news broke that General Motors had placed their next generation full-size truck and SUV programs on the fast track in development. According to GMI sources the programs are under an accelerated time frame, but they have not been pushed up from the original launch schedule set years ago. The programs just fell victim to GM?s June 2009 bankruptcy and have since been restored.

The upcoming full-sizers were actually on the product roadmap prior to the 2007 launch of the GMT-900 trucks and SUVs. Then in 2008 gas prices in the U.S. skyrocketed and GM was quickly running out of cash. At that point GM management elected to cancel the full-size SUVs and push the trucks back two years to launch in 2014.

Earlier this year the GM executive committee elected to place the next generation trucks back to their original time frame of a 2012 calendar year launch. That was the plan back in 2007; it was just reinstated because of GM?s greatly increased cash position.

Then CEO Ed Whitacre also pushed for the full-size SUV?s to be placed back in the product pipeline as he felt strongly that they should survive despite fuel economy concerns. This brought the SUV programs out of cancelation and back on the plan for 2013 calendar year.

At this time details on the programs are sketchy. It is expected that they will all feature GM?s upcoming Generation V Small Block V8?s in some capacity. Sources also state that there is a high likelihood of the addition of an eight-speed transmission.

Below GMI has outlined the current launch schedule for the next generation full-size trucks and SUVs. Unlike the GMT-900?s, the trucks will be launching first, followed by the SUV?s. The Chevrolet Avalanche and Cadillac Escalade EXT are not expected to return in the next generation.

Chevrolet Silverado: Fall 2012
GMC Sierra: Fall 2012
Chevrolet Tahoe: Q3 2013
GMC Yukon: Late Q3 2013
Chevrolet Suburban: Q4 2013
GMC Yukon XL: Q4 2013
Cadillac Escalade: Q4 2013
Cadillac Escalade ESV: Q4 2013

We knew it was coming, GM can't sell enough of them to make a profit.

It's going to be a sad day.

PS let us hope GMC will pick it up.  (y)

Two wishes for me.

1)  The 4.5 diesel makes it into the new trucks

2)  Someone promptly rolls one and I can take the drivetrain and stick it in my 2500

they seem to sell pretty good around here. since they are built in Mexico they cant have all that much money in them.

The AV compared to the rest of the GM truck line is very small. It may not be wise for GM to produce a low volume vehicle.

MS03 2500 said:
The AV compared to the rest of the GM truck line is very small. It may not be wise for GM to produce a low volume vehicle.

My guess is that GM needs to figure out how many would-be Avalanche buyers will purchase another GM product if there is no more Avalanche. I suspect that many will settle for a full-size pickup (being the closest vehicle functionally), but the question is will those pickup buyers go for the Silverado/Sierra, or another brand (given that there is less differentiation between Silverado and F150 and Ram, etc., than between any of those pickups and the Avalanche). I don't see another comparable vehicle in GM's lineup, other than a traditional SUV. GM may decide whatever potential sales losses come from discontinuing the Av do not outweigh the development and production costs of a new-generation Av. Also, despite the commitment to continue Silverado/Tahoe/Suburban, GM is really betting its future on small, fuel efficient cars. In the big picture, the Av just might not make sense for them any longer. Sad to say, because it is such a great truck in so many ways.

That is true MLM, I was actually looking at a Yukon XL when I ran across the AV, it was the best of both worlds SUV and Pickup truck.

I just bought a 2011 AV. I started looking about 2 months ago, and originally I was looking at Silverado 1500 series. Then I discovered the Avalanche, which is perfect for me since I don't need a pickup truck very much of the time.

It's a shame if they discontinue the AV.  :(  It's a very clever compromise between truck and SUV.......

-

I also was looking at the Silverado and Suburban and stumbled across the AV in the process. I was considering a pickup and adding a full cover to protect luggage, golf clubs etc. I had seen AVs go by and thought they were just a sporty pickup. Turned out to be the perfect vehicle for me. I don't remember ever seeing one advertised. So, GM, some TV time might help keep them in production!

2010 Silver AV LT
2011 Corvette Grand Sport Coupe
!

Guess if I do want a new one, I better start demodding mine and looking for one soon.

Ain't gonna happen. We've all known this was coming. I normally keep trucks for +/- 10 years but had already started planning to probably short trade my 2008 for a 2013.

MS03 2500 said:
That is true MLM, I was actually looking at a Yukon XL when I ran across the AV, it was the best of both worlds SUV and Pickup truck.

Also to MLMs point, I was a Ford guy until I saw the function of the avy.

Ok... this is really going to SUCK if they stop making this truck.  Yeah.. the El Camino was a bad idea but this truck has unlimited potential!  Maybe if they would put bigger engines in then people won't "bail" and go for the HD (or Ford diesel) (n).
The Avy has all the potential to be better it just seems that they keep wanting to run the gearing up (better gas mileage... hah!) and smaller engines.
Bring back the 5.7l  Make it perform like a truck again!! (y) Put better gearing in!!  This is STILL a truck
GM... hello???

It took me 5 years to get one, and I love it.  It serves all my needs and looks great.  I agree that Chevy does not advertise them enough.  When they first came out there were several commercials about them but since then no marketing at all.  Maybe us avalanche lovers could put some pressure on them, I'm sure it want change their minds but maybe one day they might realize the error of their ways.

i believe gm is looking  at taking all good design elements from the av and injecting them into the upcoming full size pick up.
much like dodge did with the utility compartments over the quarters and also a fold in bed giving a full 10.5 feet of bed when dropped into the cabin.

I expect some form of utility compartments in the new pick-up box sides.

A new Suburban will exist so we can lobby GM to build a new Avalanche. I'm sure they are considering possible future applications for the midgate. It's not just  production cost and demand, there's plant capacity too. It might only need to break even if it fills a hole in the production schedule in Mexico or Texas keeping the Surburban assembly plants at or near maximun output capacity.

This is funny and terribly sad, but just yesterday I was out driving my truck still loving it as much or maybe more than I did the day I test drove it and then brought it home. I was thinking to myself that when the time does come to trade I would head right for another Av without question or hesitation. I'm 27 years old and when the 2007's came out I was madly in love, wanted one sooooooooooooo bad but didn't have the 40 - 50,000 + to get one. What made my situation unbearable is my neighbours company leased him one. I had to look but not touch for 3 years, it was a huge problem. This past July I found one, an '07 and believe it or not it was a very good price. I could not say no, it was a dream come true to work out the deal and sign the papers.

I dont want to go back to just a plain ol' pickup, the Avalanche is unique and cool

:cry:

Chris_G1 said:
This is funny and terribly sad, but just yesterday I was out driving my truck still loving it as much or maybe more than I did the day I test drove it and then brought it home. I was thinking to myself that when the time does come to trade I would head right for another Av without question or hesitation. I'm 27 years old and when the 2007's came out I was madly in love, wanted one sooooooooooooo bad but didn't have the 40 - 50,000 + to get one. What made my situation unbearable is my neighbours company leased him one. I had to look but not touch for 3 years, it was a huge problem. This past July I found one, an '07 and believe it or not it was a very good price. I could not say no, it was a dream come true to work out the deal and sign the papers.

I dont want to go back to just a plain ol' pickup, the Avalanche is unique and cool

:cry:

Same story with my 04. Only it was best friend's dad that had it... My best friend and I used to take it skiing, and like you, fell in love. A few years pass and i saved up enough to buy it in cash. Now he's been through 2 avalanches (06,07,) and got the new escalade ext....a couple more years, and that thing will be on my buy list...

Dream come true for sure. If your like me, everytime you walk out to your truck, it's like your eye-molesting the thing because you can't wait to jump in it and drive it. Brings a smile to my face every time I see the beautiful thing. 07+, yes, beautiful. can't wait for the new bodystyle renderings if it's a possibility. Chevrolet really has something going with this if only more people knew about them

There are fewer full size truck/full size suv assembly plants now, when they model changed to the GMT800 and then to the GMT900 they did one plant at a time spanning over a year or two. The Silverado GMT800 was a 1999, Suburban 2000 and then they added the Avalanche for 2002. It was a major model change from the GMT400 to GMT800, lots of new tooling was intalled in the factories. The 2007 GMT800 to GMT900 model change was simple by comparison and somewhere in there they started model changing the SUVs before the pick-ups.

I still like my 800 better than the 900s, I might not even like the next generation  :B: 

Back