• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

P0449 SES Code

kwiksilverz28

Threw this once before but under warranty did not really pay attention to what was done.  Threw it monday.  Googled it, and thanks to this board, it is a a bad EVAP Vent Solenoid.  I reset code, checked fuse, and when started it immediately came back.  Proved to me that it is the solenoid fault.  If it took a while I would consider the canister.  Replaced the solenoid assembly.  Could not find a definite part number for the 07 1500 vin 0 5.3.  So, got it from the Chevy dealer in Daytona.  In stock, paid $35 with tax.  Got home and checked.  Same part thru advance auto is less than $24.  AC Delco part#214-1937.  Took half hour max.  Drop spare, get a 13mm wrench for hold down bolt, flat blade to release canister hose clip, and rag to wipe sweat from face if you are in hot area.  >:D  I saved part number as this appears to be a limited life part in less than pristine climates. 

Now that it is fixed I can get back on the bike and enjoy this awsome Florida fall riding weather!  :woot:

Thanks kwiksilverz28!  (y)
I just had the same code come up on my truck about 3 weeks ago. I took it to Autozone and they read the code for me. I took it to a dealership because I have no idea where to start to fix it. Thinking they would use the code. They wanted to charge me $100 just do what I already did for free plus whatever fees to fix it! BS!  :E: My truck has just over 40,000 miles on it. 2008 5.3 Avy.

Is there anywhere I can find step by step directions in fixing this? Thank to you I now have a part number.  (y)

Seriously.  Get part first.  Use it for reference.  Jack truck from left rear frame, throw a jack stand under for safety.  13mm wrench, long flat blade.  Drop spare and slide to Right side.  No need to disconnect cable.  Disconnect plug, disconnect vent tube, disconnect canister to solenoid tube, unbolt, and remove.  Reinstall and delete code.  Get the part first (assuming 07 and 08 are the same), and it all will make sense!

I recommend getting the part first. It's about $30 or so and is really easy to install. One end unclips with a quick release and the other end disconnects by squeezing a plastic lock and then there's a really simple electrical plug. Depending on your body size or if you're truck is lowered you probably don't even need to jack the vehicle. The whole component slides right off the metal bracket and the new one slides right on. I didn't need a single tool for the job. Once you do it a first time you'll see it's easily a 5 min job. Dropping the tire takes the most time, lol

After tons and tons of research I've discovered that the P0449 code is almost always going to be a bad EVAP vent. I've also finally realized that it's part of GM's regular maintenance cycle and the owner's manual even calls for the replacement of the vent if it goes bad. Shame they don't make that info more obvious. So now I will be changing it every 40-50,000 miles whether I get a code or not.

Thanks man, mine came on a few weeks back. I disabled the cel with HPTuners b/c I got sick of seeing it and did not have time to research/replace it yet. You saved me a bunch of time!!!      (y)

Jack, lol!  I disabled the code while I went to the dealer and did some running around.  I hate that light on my dash, and since I own HP Tuners and already have my truck saved, I deleted the code while I ran, put it back, and fixed. 

Glad I could help anyone.  Cost me a few bucks, but got the part # saved.  I think for the $23 I may just keep it in stock at my house.  I hate SES lights.  :p

Pictures
IMG_0147.JPG

IMG_0148.JPG

IMG_0149.JPG

IMG_0150.JPG

IMG_0151.JPG

Hope this helps someone looking for this defunct equipment giving errors. P0445 -  ...
...  Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Shorted

P0449 - EVAP Canister Vent Solenoid Valve Control Circuit

I replaced the part that has the blue O-ring on it the Valve. but you have to buy both They come as a set (GM P/N#25932571)Valve Solenoid Electrovalve cost $27.45 takes all of 5 min to take off and put the new one on.

No service manual, Just went off the the P codes checked the connections with a multimeter with them attached to the solenoid . The solenoid by the engine read 12volts took it off and cleaned it anyway applied 12 volts to the solenoid and watched and listened to it function , Moved on to the solenoid in the rear by the gas tank checked the voltage with the solenoid attached and got 0 volts disconnected the solenoid  and checked the voltage got 12 volts, applied 12volts to the solenoid and the part did not move or do anything. (y)  This is the culprit!!! (y)  I have since changed three of these for three of my friends that have avalanches and the CEL has not been back. Everyone kept telling them to change the gas cap but our trucks only have 70k on them. To sum it up if you get a P445 or P449 and CEL with tighten gas cap. You can take it to the bank it either one of two solenoids the one up front by the engine or the one by the gas tank has burned out. Parts guy said they keep them in stock Wink Wink so I think chevy knows about this defect. Looks to me that if you keep the truck long enough you will have to replace it because their is 12 volts applied to the solenoid while the truck is running to keep the solenoid closed because it is a normally open solenoid then when the truck is off it opens which seems the switch should be normally closed and have the ECM open it before and after a Run cycle instead of full on closed position while running. Chevy Dealerships wants to charge $99.00 Diagnostic fee and waive it if you have your truck fixed with them for a  $27.00 part. Which as you see at the begging of this thread "Dropped $100+ at the Dealership." When You can fix yourself for $27.00 and your own labor. If you can change a car Battery this task is just that easy.

Back