Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
10/24/14 05:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gas mileage - how to improve  (Read 6060 times)
Larry Mertz

Awards
« on: 10/14/10 07:12 AM »

I have a 2004 avalanche i get 16.9 mpg. I like to get more, any suggestions.
Bigntall1

TRNSFMR

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: 10/14/10 07:21 AM »

There are many different views on this topic.  If you have time you can read all the replies to this post.
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,84687.0.html

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2195826
White 2004 Avalanche Z66 WBH, Leather Interior, Heated Seats, Side Impact Airbags, Bose Stereo with 6 Disk Changer, XM Radio, Onstar, Automatic Dual Climate Control, Luggage Rack, GM Nerf Bars, AVS Bugshield, AVS Ventvisors, Billet Grille, 22x9.5 VCT-Scarface wheels, 305/40R22 Bridgestone Deuler Tires, Flowmaster Super40 Single-in/Dual-out.
PerfectReign
CAFCNA 2013 Supporting Member

A Turn Signal is a Statement, Not a Request

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: 10/14/10 07:36 AM »

I've said it before, I'll say it again.

You have a truck. It has a 300hp engine and weighs 3 tons.  Enjoy it. 

My 2006 gets about the same mileage as my 85hp 1987 Nissan Hardbody and my 190hp 1995 GMC Jimmy.

If you want mileage, then get one of these.  You won't be comfortable but you'll get better mileage:

2006 WBH LS2000 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
thomsen05
CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 10/14/10 07:43 AM »

Big laughter with tears      Big laughter with tears
Goooood Mileage

Chris

2002 avalanche pewter,4:10 gears, Superchipped 5.3ltr, 3" Ready lift level kit, Stainless steel diamond plate inserts, Amber drl's, K&N FIPK, MSD wires, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Nerf bars, Blue superbright puddles, fabtech steering stabilizer, altezza smoked tail lights 50W back up lights....to be added: strobes
avalonandl

Pulling 11,000 lbs and Lovin' it

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 10/14/10 02:44 PM »

Larry: 16.9 is pretty good. A Hypertec controller might add a 0.5 mpg at best, and keep your tires inflated.

Avalon

2004- Sport Red 2500, w/ 4.10 axle and stump pulling torque! Flowmaster BB50 w/ oval tips out each side. SOLD- Now a 2015 DMAX 2500HD
MooseAlanche
CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member

The Moose Is On The Loose

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 10/14/10 02:55 PM »

Clean the Mass Air Flow sensor, install an Cold Air Intake, Tune Up, Performance Exhaust, Performance Tune & Tire Pressure (like avalonandl  suggested), and drive it like an old lady. Keep RPM's at 2000 with all that you might get close to 20 MPG's on the highway.

Pete
05 Black Avalanche 5.3L, Z71, Cladded, Chrome Brush Bar, Speed Grille, SS Nerf Bars, Fire & Ice Tailgate LED, Lund Bug Shield, Putco Tailgate Handle Cover, K&N #77 Cold Air Intake, PowerAid TBS, MagnaFlow SS CatBack. Since Joining CAFC: Amber FTDRL, LED Sail Panel Lights, Amber LED Grille Lights, Door Pocket LED's, Mag Lite, 3rd Brake & Tailgate Decals, Cargo Light, Billet Gas Door, Tailgate Cup Holders, Backup Cam, I Pod2car, WoLo Horn, PlasmaGlow Xeon Bulbs, Window Tint, Tailgate E-Z Up, HyperTech
Shanes 02 Avalanche

Teach your children well, they are the future.

WWW Awards
« Reply #6 on: 10/16/10 08:57 AM »

Clean the Mass Air Flow sensor, install an Cold Air Intake, Tune Up, Performance Exhaust, Performance Tune & Tire Pressure (like avalonandl  suggested), and drive it like an old lady. Keep RPM's at 2000 with all that you might get close to 20 MPG's on the highway.

Also use cruise control anytime you can. I set mine anytime I am doing over 25MPH. My best mileage is 26, my worst is 9. Right now living in the mountains I am getting 16. But I have to get up to speed extremely fast. My neighbor hoods minimum speed limit is 35. And the only access road is off of highway 41. So you have to just jump on the accelerate and climb up hill on the highway to go to Oakhurst or to Fresno. The other problem I have is people do not drive the speed limit. They like to brake before every corner and anytime someone is coming in the other lane. So I spend a lot of time driving with one foot on the gas and one on the brake.
However when I lived in Idaho the ground was flat and the roads open. I averaged 18-20 there. When I would drive from Pocatello to Salt lake City for GTG's I would get 20 -22 all the time, and that was doing 80MPH. So terrain and driving habits and keeping your engine tuned make all the difference in the world.

You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.
You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.
.....Abr
05Guy

My 05

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 10/16/10 11:32 AM »

That's great, my average is just about 14.2... I wish I seen 16 + but will never happen  chevy

Mods:/
Rockford Punch P500 Amp, JL Audio J2 250.1 mono Amp, Pioneer TS-A1683R Speakers, Pioneer Premier TS-A702C Speaker Set, Custom Midgate mod, with 2 10 inch sony sub's, Fabtech Performance Steering Stabilizer...Nelson PCM tune
Front/EBC Sport Rotors, Spectre Cold Air Intake. MSD Spark Plug Wires......Gibson Dual Extreme....8000 Xenon HID Headlights, .
PerfectReign

WWW Awards
« Reply #8 on: 10/18/10 12:14 PM »

16 point something is my normal for everyday city/highway driving. When the colder weather arrives and I begin to not use the air conditioning as much, I'll proably see an incremental bump in mileage.

You figure you drive what you want.   

Shane - when'd you move to Coarsegold? I thought you were still in ID.  We were in Bass Lake last spring. Beautiful area!

Shanes 02 Avalanche

WWW Awards
« Reply #9 on: 10/18/10 02:11 PM »

I got here at the end of May. My father was dying of Cancer. I moved out here in August after he passed to help take care of my mom. I have not been to Bass lake, but I have been to Shaver and a bunch of other places in the mountains. I do love it up here, it is so nice.

You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.
You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.
.....Abr
PerfectReign

WWW Awards
« Reply #10 on: 10/18/10 03:57 PM »

Oh, I'm sorry! I actually think I remember.

Hope all is well!

Shanes 02 Avalanche

WWW Awards
« Reply #11 on: 10/18/10 04:10 PM »

Anytime you are up this way let me know, we can grab a coffee in Coarsegold.

.....Abr
PerfectReign

WWW Awards
« Reply #12 on: 10/19/10 08:34 AM »

Will do!

Coarsegold and Oakhurst are beautiful areas. 

Shanes 02 Avalanche

WWW Awards
« Reply #13 on: 10/19/10 11:48 AM »

And the weather is a lot better then Idaho.  Thumbs up!

.....Abr
clcycles

Awards
« Reply #14 on: 11/12/10 04:29 AM »

Slow down lol. I have 2002 2500 at  65 mph i get 15 at 70 mph 12.5 and keep it tuned up.
MyBigToy

Too much power is just enough!

Awards
« Reply #15 on: 11/12/10 04:48 AM »

Put a block under the gas pedal so you can only go 10% throttle.  Shocked

It's all the little things you should do that will help your incremental gas mileage but don't expect any significant gains; probably not more than another mpg. SLOW off the start, anticipate red lights & coast when in traffic, drive 55 mph on the highway, keep your tires aired up to maximum sidewall pressure. That's a start.

2002 LPM Z71 - Magnacharger w/3" pulley, TOG's headers, 216/224-.551/.551-115 cam/pushrods/dual springs/titanium retainers, built tranny, Yank TT2600 converter, 24K GVW Tru-Cool tranny cooler, Flex-A-Lites, ProCold intake, MSD wires & TR6 plugs, 20" Panther Juice 6's, 2.8" rear lowering springs, J&J Enterprises stainless grille, body-color taillight covers, custom metal rear step bumper. Self-tuned with HP Tuners software.

Daily driver: 2013 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5i w/Special Appearance Pkg
rufneks

Awards
« Reply #16 on: 12/18/10 08:46 AM »

Clean air filter, clean throttle body, right air pressure, and driving very conservatively, it helped my mileage
Shanes 02 Avalanche

WWW Awards
« Reply #17 on: 12/18/10 09:46 AM »

I get my best mileage when I drive very conservative. Also keeping the engine tuned and the oil changed. My best mileage comes after doing a complete tuneup, oil change and throttle body. Along with proper tire pressure.

.....Abr
JVZL1
CAFCNA 2014 Premium Member

Looking For A Crew Cab Pick UP Drove An AVY

Awards
« Reply #18 on: 12/20/10 03:32 PM »

The best MPGs I get is when the wife drives.
Ya I have to hear I get over 20 and what do get. banghead
I drive to enjoy not MPGs.
I can have my wife come show you how to improve your MPGs.  Big laughter with tears

'03 Z71 Dark Gray Cladded
Bug Visor,Floormats;Full Time Amber DRL's; Rear Head Rest Mod; INJEN Tuned Air Intake;MSD wires;ALL ON HIGH;Grippin Billet tailgate handle Magnum black;EBC Brakes;RS9000XL Shocks;Moog Steering Stabilizer;HP Tune From Superwagon;Dual Batteries;Painless 40120 Digital Power Manager; FF Dynamics Electric Fans; DynoMax VT;
JV
tallmantwo

Awards
« Reply #19 on: 12/23/10 01:41 PM »

Well i have an 07 AV and get close to 15 mpg dont care i love this truck so far for a newbee driving one loves the leg room in mine yea have a Merry safe Christmas 
arizona-dave

You cannot lift the needy by pulling the top down

Awards
« Reply #20 on: 12/28/10 08:49 AM »

Uhg..  Big laughter with tears  Big laughter with tears Might as well just buy and drive a Prius then...that sounds like no fun at all! 

Put a block under the gas pedal so you can only go 10% throttle.  Shocked

It's all the little things you should do that will help your incremental gas mileage but don't expect any significant gains; probably not more than another mpg. SLOW off the start, anticipate red lights & coast when in traffic, drive 55 mph on the highway, keep your tires aired up to maximum sidewall pressure. That's a start.

07 Mystic Gold Loaded LTZ 4x4 - 6.0L with 4LE70 super duty tranny - from the Factory! Prem Sound & Nav, Rear DVD, and all the goodies. An upgrade from the 05, but I have to admit, the 05 seats were a tad more comfy and a little larger. Mods/Upgrades - MSD Super Wires, NGK Iridium, Billet Grill, Real HID Projector HL's w/Halo, 22" Liquid Metal Rims on Nittos, Z-71 skid plate kit. Soon: Dual Exhaust & Custom Sound!
aleksii

Me and the missus

Awards
« Reply #21 on: 01/03/11 09:39 AM »

Larry: 16.9 is pretty good. A Hypertec controller might add a 0.5 mpg at best, and keep your tires inflated.

Avalon

I've got one of those HyperTech E-con programmers.... used it and don't really notice too much of an increase.  Anyone have any tips on using this?  Thanks!

2007 Avy LTZ...black on black
d-dhman

Awards
« Reply #22 on: 01/04/11 01:37 PM »

New to the forum, 05 AV Z71 with body cladding, 6" rough country susp. lift.  I live in Honduras and just got my Avalanche about 2 months ago and cannot get over 12.2 mpg average unless I drive it like a granny.  It is nice to drive though if someone does come up with a mpg improvement please post it.
Alaska_AV.
CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator

living the cold life

WWW Awards
« Reply #23 on: 01/04/11 03:44 PM »

new 'to me' engine has me up 2-3 mpg   in 200 miles anyway, probly babying it....

First you'll lose your mind
and then any free cash laying around
Then mods will bloat your credit limits
You'll be like a crack addict, refinancing your home..
You'll cry yourself to sleep,stuff like, must get new rims.
Important questions like, polished or chrome. will shadow you daily

I'm Jon, and my Wife is an Avalanche widow..
Nationals 2007 and 2008 good times

http://alaskaav.mybru
ronthehandymanga
CAFCNA 2014 Premium Member

Awards
« Reply #24 on: 01/04/11 04:23 PM »

Thumbs up!

new 'to me' engine has me up 2-3 mpg   in 200 miles anyway, probly babying it....

02 Indigo blue K2500
99 K2500 LT Suburban, work truck
69 CST396 Fleetside long PU
68 Chevelle SS 396
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: